Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:27:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330174 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 130 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 132595 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: July 13, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »

pugilist is slowly but surely becoming a beast but i have no clue what earth fists actually does besides increase your defense. im not noticing a damage increase and my mp isnt draining.

Could be for pvp later on.  or if you managed to grab hate somehow it could be useful.  *shrug*.  Pugilist sounds super fun though.  I'm guessing Monk would be equally fun/rewarding as well.

God I'm getting so giddy for this game.

And yeah, it probably just depends on party composition and the quality of players. I made that example earlier in the thread about an idiot being someone who AOEs Sleeping monsters over and over despite being told not to thinking it wasn't going to happen to me. It happened.  On the other hand, I had an absolutely amazing time helping my friend in Hala with it, where everyone knew their jobs, the run was very fast, and we were all friendly and talkative.  I also really like helping with Sas, since people seem to genuinely want to know and learn.

Duty Finder is so hit and miss.

I think once the game has been out for awhile and people get used to how the game is supposed to be played, it will get better.  The whole "let's AOE everything" is so prevalent in WoW that I'm willing to bet whoever was doing that in your group most likely plays WoW.

I've only seen a handful of really lazy, incompetent players that were not willing to listen and tried to play up their skill, but for the most part folks have been good about following instructions, especially if you give them visual queues. I'm really curious to see how the Hard Mode Primals turn out.

They're making hardmodes?  Sweet.

LOL! This is true. I will freely admit to using abilities that I enjoy watching (when able).
What sucks is that I've done everything I'd really care to do in beta right now, outside of helping FC mates, and I have no clue when phase 4 is going to hit. I really don't want to burn out on the pre-35 stuff since I've got to run it on ACN, but I still want to keep playing! Ugh! It hurts!

It's like fapping.  Just stop cold turkey and when you do finally get to play FF14 again at retail, it will be even better.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: July 13, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »

When is the final phase where they stop wiping data?
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: July 13, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »

so whats up with this bosses name...

placeholder monster maybe? also the boss of this place brutally raped me. used a knockback and hit me into one of those exploding plants,tried to get away in a panic and got killed by poison floor.

Definitely not a placeholder name.

It's a reference to a type of whip, Cat of Nine Tails.

Look at its tentacles.  Yeah.  Coeurl is just a cat.

Edit:

No date given yet, though if the rumors are to be believed, Yoshi said it would only be a week long.  So give it 2-3 weeks, minimum.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 03:04:27 PM by Cyril » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 13, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »

They're making hardmodes?  Sweet!

Yes and no. Your first encounter with the Primals are along the main scenario and those are 4 man lower level versions that give you a taste of the real fights. The actual Primal fights are level 50 8-man raids that are significantly harder but reward you with Primal equipment (see the sword I'm using on PLD). Then you have the Extreme Mode for Ifrit which is a quest requirement for Relic weapons. There will be level 50 4-man and 8-man dungeons but to my knowledge they aren't recycling lower level instances for endgame hard-modes.

The last discussion Yoshida had on endgame was this kind of progression:

Level 50 Light Party dungeons (4 man) -> Full Party Primals (8 man) > Full Party Raids (Aurum Vale etc.)-> Crystal Tower (Full party?) -> Bahamut's Maze (Alliance? )
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 13, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »

Phase 4 is open beta. The start date and duration is currently unknown. Any progress made in Phase 4 will carry over into launch *unless* there is a major bug or exploit found that would require a character wipe or roll back.
Open beta will not include all features of the game. Arcanist and its associated jobs will not be available till launch. It is unknown what other features may be restricted and SE reserves the right to change their mind at any time.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 13, 2013, 10:04:12 PM »

so whats up with this bosses name...

placeholder monster maybe? also the boss of this place brutally raped me. used a knockback and hit me into one of those exploding plants,tried to get away in a panic and got killed by poison floor.

i'm finding in longer fights its real easy for me to rip hate off even mrd tanks. it started happening when pug gets that trait that lets you stack 2 greased lightning and you get another one at lvl 40 XD. thankfully fists of earth and second wind lets me tank till tank can re-establish hate and gives me a chance to use haymaker.

Your ranged DD should be clearing those plants when able especially before you engage. It makes the fight alot less chaotic.

That's really quite sad about your tanks. The only time I've ever had a DD pull threat off a mob I was directly tanking was a DRG stacking Raging Strikes, Blood for Blood and Bloodlust. Needless to say the defensive nerf and HP drain basically got him oneshot lol. I know MRD and WAR don't have the kind of single target threat generation as GLD/PLD, they're more AoE tanking based but you shouldn't be consistently pulling threat unless they're not really utilizing their toolset.

I have noticed however that initial aggro is a pretty good chunk of threat and even if the target isn't hitting back, it takes more work pulling them off the longer you leave them unchecked, which is usually the opposite of most MMO threat mechanics, I.E. taking damage knocks your threat level down. Or it may just have been mob specific, there's not alot of theorycrafting ATM.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:15:10 PM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: July 13, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »

its not happening consistAntly but rather during long fights. its a result of being able to have 2 greased lightning effects at the same,every bootshine after the first being a guaranteed crit, tossing in impulse drives and a huge stack of attack boosts:2x greased lightning,twin snakes,and raging strikes.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 13, 2013, 11:05:07 PM »

its not happening consistAntly but rather during long fights. its a result of being able to have 2 greased lightning effects at the same,every bootshine after the first being a guaranteed crit, tossing in impulse drives and a huge stack of attack boosts:2x greased lightning,twin snakes,and raging strikes.
Then you sir/ma'am are an awesome PUG for playing your job to the fullest. I hope other players can learn for your example (I'm being serious, not sarcastic). Being lazy in MMOs is no fun, but I wonder if it has more to do with how trivial content is up to the dungeons that players just aren't used to playing with all their toys.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: July 14, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »

Alisha, I'm not gonna shit on your ability to play this game, but I am gonna say that it sounds like your tank needs work. Between overpower and tomahawk, I usually have no issues keeping hate or re-accruing it should a single mob straggle off to fuck with my healer. I'd suggest you recommend to your tank to stop worrying about his miniscule dps output, as it is miniscule compared to lnc and pug, and worry about keeping mobs on him/herself and not eating needless damage so your mage can assist in damage and not spamcure him/her. At least get some spare healing otherwise like second wind and maybe cure off gla, though I have yet to do this myself. Again, not saying your ability to play pug isn't good, just I have a pretty strong pug friend who has been playing since version 1.0 who really knows his class and still doesn't pull hate off me. It's not hard to get hate on a tank is all I'm saying.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 14, 2013, 03:06:06 AM »

Alisha, I'm not gonna shit on your ability to play this game, but I am gonna say that it sounds like your tank needs work. Between overpower and tomahawk, I usually have no issues keeping hate or re-accruing it should a single mob straggle off to fuck with my healer. I'd suggest you recommend to your tank to stop worrying about his miniscule dps output, as it is miniscule compared to lnc and pug, and worry about keeping mobs on him/herself and not eating needless damage so your mage can assist in damage and not spamcure him/her. At least get some spare healing otherwise like second wind and maybe cure off gla, though I have yet to do this myself. Again, not saying your ability to play pug isn't good, just I have a pretty strong pug friend who has been playing since version 1.0 who really knows his class and still doesn't pull hate off me. It's not hard to get hate on a tank is all I'm saying.

Lol! Yeah GLD DPS is pretty awful. I can say with the right gear and abilities you can put out decent damage enough to solo but on dungeon mobs its like trying to kill a bear with kindness. Sword Oath helps marginally but you'll never use it in any tanking capacity over Shield Oath.

Putting Cure on any DoW class at low levels isn't as useful as Second Wind because you don't get half of its effectiveness and casting it is going to get interrupted, constantly while you're being hit. It's marginally better on GLD because they have some form of MP regeneration with Riot Blade. I'm still hoping for a PLD specific cure like we had in 1.0.
Of course we have no idea how endgame will work with the new battle equations and the new gear sets and abilities.

On another topic, I played with the crafting class quests and was pretty annoyed that its not before long that it requires HQ synthesis for quest completion. Talk about brutal at low levels.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:17:22 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: July 14, 2013, 04:44:26 AM »

I took blacksmith to 22 (manually) and the level 20 quest was just affix materia to a hammer. Was pretty easy...cept I ran out of mats and HQ'd the hammer...that pissed me off since my existing one was NQ AND lower level. But yeah, I enjoyed the crafting thus far, as it was a pretty mellow minigame to do it and fairly rewarding for low level.

Did Haukke Manor a couple times tonight....that place has the best music thus far. Also, I hate archers. I swear the one who joined our run was just TRYING to pull mobs away from me. She pissed me off real good. Course I hadn't gotten Butcher's Block yet so my base heavy swing combo had no real hate accrual, now it does (for the rest of tonight as the beta end in a little while DX). Man this game can not come out any sooner.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: July 14, 2013, 05:00:03 AM »

My own experience with Archers says that in general the higher level the Archer the lower their quality.  Haukke and Longstop are magnets for horrible Archers - Haukke especially.  

The inverse is true with Pugilists. The higher level the Pugilist the better they are.  Actually, I give mad props to every Pugilist I've partied with in Haukke - they were all willing to run to the lamps in the boss and help me extinguish them.

Lancers, without exception, are suicidal for some reason. They're like the Dark Knights of FFXIV.

I'm curious as to the average quality of healers.  Given I'm a healer myself, I'm the one taking the DF slot and don't get to judge others.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: July 14, 2013, 05:02:46 AM »

i have something like 50 hi potions as well as second wind. cure is garbage on dow(i heal for 50 at 24 pug). i can tank in spurts if need be with featherfoot and fists of earth(wich gives -10% damage taken and has a lengthy duration),combined with protect. i dont think its so bad and gives me a chance to use haymaker. and its not like it happens all the time. i believe i can equip bloodbath but i dont do enough spike damage for it to be useful. however i think it could become a problem at 40 pug/mnk where if things stay the same you would have the ability to have 3 greased lightnings active and fists of fire wich is +10% damage. that you could have active fulltime.

edit:each greased lightning is +7% damage plus a 5% reduction in the global cooldown. its kinda like martial arts but with damage increase too.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:11:23 AM by Alisha » Logged

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 14, 2013, 05:51:02 AM »

Well, as a former career BRD I can say that the job ( and by association ARC) has changed ALOT from v.1.0 so it may just be the learning curve. That class plays totally differently than any of the other DoWs because its not combo based at all. It's all about refreshing your DoT and self-buff (well, sorta like PUG) and utilizing your attacks of opportunity. Below 20% its your finisher spam with DD buffs stacked as needed while still balancing your DoT and self buff (raises crit % insanely). It's a bit of a juggling act, especially when you throw in buffs from other classes. You have basically 3 attacks and a finisher but the entire challenge is just buff/debuff management.

BTW Eorzea Reborn has a ton of new class and group guides that are good reading.
http://eorzeareborn.com
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 14, 2013, 05:54:11 AM »

Lancers, without exception, are suicidal for some reason. They're like the Dark Knights of FFXIV.

That's because they have the highest burst damage of any DoW and Blood for Blood may as well be renamed Souleater. Honestly they have access to plenty of threat mitigation options but most players like the pretty numbers and dislike learning their class.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 130 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: