Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 10:44:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319589 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 125 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 88165 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: July 16, 2013, 01:36:29 AM »

The 3 month threat probably made them a lot of money discouraging breaks in ffxi. But with more competition and more casuals there's no way they'd try and pull that off these days.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »

i wasnt that impressed with the music however im the type of person where the music will always be compared to ffxi's. i did like one of the dungeon battle themes though.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: July 16, 2013, 05:20:50 AM »

I think this is the best Final Fantasy soundtrack since XII. XIII was great and I love Hamauzu's work but this soundtrack feels very nostalgic.  They seem to hit everything right with that aspect.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: July 16, 2013, 08:07:54 AM »

It's funny hearing all this love for ARR's soundtrack. I think it's good, what I've heard of it so far, but I also liked 1.0's music a little better at times. Nothing like killing wharf rats to stadium rock

This game is going to be SO Arcanist heavy right after launch. Gonna remind me of everquest when they would add a new race or class and you knew that starting area was going to be virtually unusable for several weeks. xD
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:17:55 AM by Klutz64 » Logged

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 16, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »

I got access to the beta this weekend and while I haven't played as much as I wanted I gotta say: I'm glad I was wrong about this game.

I was so skeptical this could in any chance come close to being decent, especially for me because until Guild Wars 2 I could not find an MMO that I liked and it seems ARR is going to be the second one.

Of all the things this game does great one I have to mention is the soundtrack. I dn't think I have listened to something this good, like ever.

i am pretty excited for this game but unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting it at launch. Pricing model aside, I want to see how the community grows before jumping in ( not to mention I haven't even fished the storyline in GW2 yet).

The real sad thing for me about a paying subscription is not really the money itslef but the fact that if in given month I don't want to play it I just wasted money. I wish someday the chinese model gets brought over here where you pay for the hours you are logged in. Even if a little more expensive if I don't want to play this month due to whatever reason, when I get back I still have those "hours" there.

The problem with the chinese model is that it really punishes players who do play often. There's generally also a cash shop and grinds designed to extend playtime. It's really just based on how much that $12/$14 is going to set you back. For alot of folks that's a quick meal out, but for people on a budget it adds up. If you think you're not going to play at all for more than a month, then cancelling and resubscribing when free time comes back is always a good option. Alot of the talk about character deletion usually only happens in rare occasions.

These are the most common situations where characters will be deleted:

1. Influx of RMT with a saturation of characters below like level 10 that haven't been played in over 3 months.
2. Server hyper-population after a server merge. Deletion of characters below a certain level that haven't been active in several months. Usually last ditch efforts to save subscriber base.
3. Inactive account for over 12-24 months.

Since SE does have some experience in knowing serviceable server populations, I don't think they'll have the same pitfalls SWTOR and Warhammer had with adding too many servers in the beginning and gutting their server populations.

For those interested, here's a good interview with Yoshida explaining why he feels the subscription model benefits everyone.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:25:06 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 16, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »

It's funny hearing all this love for ARR's soundtrack. I think it's good, what I've heard of it so far, but I also liked 1.0's music a little better at times. Nothing like killing wharf rats to stadium rock

This game is going to be SO Arcanist heavy right after launch. Gonna remind me of everquest when they would add a new race or class and you knew that starting area was going to be virtually unusable for several weeks. xD

Well, ACN is confirmed for Phase 4, so I don't think they'll be a glut of them in the starting areas at release. There's alot of people who have classes that aren't capped and don't really have much interest in the new pet jobs. I think over-crowding will be more of an issue on the new servers than the legacy servers, but since everyone in the area gets credit for hitting mobs, regardless of claim, you'll have people clearing quests alot faster.

Also, I hope they still keep Answers because I love that song.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:43:04 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: July 16, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »

During the final events I posted on Youtube that it would be awesome if Dalamud fell while that song was playing. Then it happened :)

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 16, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »

Looks like Minagawa just posted on the forums. We will have a UI scale 80-120% (50-200% in retail) in phase 4, and it will be available on the PS3 as well. Auto-Sort is coming but its going to be client side. Now if only they'd give us a character focused camera on lock-on (instead of target focus) we're set.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: July 16, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »

Now if only they'd give us a character focused camera on lock-on (instead of target focus) we're set.

Jesus Christ, yes PLEASE.  This a million times.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #459 on: July 17, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »

Looks like Minagawa just posted on the forums. We will have a UI scale 80-120% (50-200% in retail) in phase 4, and it will be available on the PS3 as well. Auto-Sort is coming but its going to be client side. Now if only they'd give us a character focused camera on lock-on (instead of target focus) we're set.

What is the difference between char-focused and target-focused?

Also, you mentioned ACN being in P4? Really? I had heard it wouldn't be in until launch!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: July 17, 2013, 09:10:25 AM »

It determines who gets priority for fitting on the screen when using Z-targeting camera lock.  If an enemy is very large, they generally get most of the screen which means that your character is often pushed offscreen.  Character-focus means your character gets priority for staying onscreen.

Z-targetting's usefulness though, is questionable.  The issue with latency during AOE attacks is problematic, further compounded by your character's slow walk backwards.  You have a choice between standard and legacy movement, but Z-targetting doesn't seem to take that into consideration and just let you run backwards, meaning you have to break target lock.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: July 18, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »

So I keep seeing articles about the whole Lightning in XIV thing, and it's driving me nuts. Everywhere I look, it's either bitching about how no one likes her (I hate her character but damn if she isn't pixel hawtness), or bitching about how no one cares she's in it. It's hilarious how no one actually states outright that they love the idea of her in the game, only they don't care she's gonna be in it and we all should just not care. I don't get that passive horseshit, if you don't care she's gonna be in it then OBVIOUSLY you're not pleased. Why the fuck do you (generalizing btw) simply accept things you don't care for? If it's not something you want, then stop taking it like a prison bitch and at least vocalize your opinion about what you would want. It doesn't always need to be an internet riot, but telling everyone else to take it like a bitch is just as, if not more irritating.

I am extremely excited for this game, Lightning be damned. I'd love to see more FFVI stuff over her ridiculous dull monotone attitude. Hell, the only reason she's getting the push is to help promote this sham of a fucking title FFXIII-3. Much rather have Tifa or even Rinoa....wait fuck that, Selphie or Quistis, or fuck even Dagger make an appearance. Lightning's hot, for sure...but in that rare instance where a man thinks with his head instead of his penis, it's a given that Lightning is a terrible character.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 18, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »

So I keep seeing articles about the whole Lightning in XIV thing, and it's driving me nuts. Everywhere I look, it's either bitching about how no one likes her (I hate her character but damn if she isn't pixel hawtness), or bitching about how no one cares she's in it. It's hilarious how no one actually states outright that they love the idea of her in the game, only they don't care she's gonna be in it and we all should just not care. I don't get that passive horseshit, if you don't care she's gonna be in it then OBVIOUSLY you're not pleased. Why the fuck do you (generalizing btw) simply accept things you don't care for? If it's not something you want, then stop taking it like a prison bitch and at least vocalize your opinion about what you would want. It doesn't always need to be an internet riot, but telling everyone else to take it like a bitch is just as, if not more irritating.

I am extremely excited for this game, Lightning be damned. I'd love to see more FFVI stuff over her ridiculous dull monotone attitude. Hell, the only reason she's getting the push is to help promote this sham of a fucking title FFXIII-3. Much rather have Tifa or even Rinoa....wait fuck that, Selphie or Quistis, or fuck even Dagger make an appearance. Lightning's hot, for sure...but in that rare instance where a man thinks with his head instead of his penis, it's a given that Lightning is a terrible character.

I dunno man, there's been ALOT of people bitching on the forums who don't want to see it happen. Personally as much as I wasn't impressed with FFXIII and Lightning in general - I'm actually excited to see her in the game because of what they're doing with her and the fact that they're keeping the door open to other cross over stuff. Here's a pretty interesting read on the topic I came across this morning regarding this.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/18/the-lightning-returnsfinal-fantasy-xiv-crossover-is-perfectly-fine-please-stop-overreacting/

The links within the article link back to Yoshida's response to the whole fiasco.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: July 18, 2013, 05:25:13 PM »

I'm honestly shocked at the amount of backlash.

It all seems a bit ridiculous and over the top for an event. The beta forums are still complaining about it.  Then again, the beta forums are a cesspool and it's a shame that some of these messages are being sent to the devs.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: July 18, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »

That was the most recent article I read that pushed me into the annoyed territory I am currently in. The writer just says it's not bad, and argues the semantics of people's dislike. Last time I checked, dislike doesn't need a reason, nor does like. I don't get why it's so imperative for people to explain why what you like or don't like is wrong. State your opinion, bitch regarding it, move on to next opinion. If a discussion happens, fine and dandy but don't fucking educate people on why their opinion isn't right and true. It's a fact that Lightning has mixed reviews, and it's a generally accepted opinion that the masses who are male and like Lightning do so because she's hot. Why does anyone have to try to argue that with polls that consist of less than a single digit percent of people who know of her and have some opinion regarding her? Best part though is when the person arguing gives that LUDICROUS statement of "I have no preference for or against her". If you don't care, she's a worthless character that offered nothing to the game, which results in a wasted character and as such, an opinion now leaning less in favor of the game. This should really ring a bell in your head that rings "useless".

God damnit my rage knows no end. RANTRANTRANT.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 125 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: