Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 07:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327828 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 130 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 119083 times)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 08, 2013, 09:03:56 AM »

iOS App Libra Eorzea will launch about a week after retail, Android will be about a month. Free, and pulls data from the Lodestone. Hair Salon confirmed... possibility of a tanning salon?

Overall, a pretty dull and nearly pointless Live Letter. Other than a few seconds of fishing and a couple of minutes showing off the new jobs, there's absolutely no footage shown. About 90% of the info given is old news. New concept art, but old news.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:11:29 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »

I was so pissed when they announced months ago that fishing wouldn't be a viable money-maker, considering that was the DoL I focused on in version 1.0

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 08, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »

It'll be as much a money maker as the other gathering classes. I think they meant not a money maker on the scale of fishermen in XI with Lu Shangs and Ebisu - which basically allowed you to print money. Fish are crucial components for cooking and alchemy.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 08, 2013, 10:29:03 AM »

Veteran Rewards program like Aion for length of subscription. Cosmetic items like swimsuits, character remake tickets, exclusive pets and mounts. Ahriman mount after 90 days playtime.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: August 08, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »

Oh man. These beta forums.
They somehow got worse.

I'm ashamed of my fellow English-speakers and the messages they're sending to the developers from any and all sides.

That said: soloing AF.  I can see the reasoning for it, and even agree with it, especially if it ends up being something like a rite of passage, a la FFXI level 70 Maat quests, but I just don't know.  I took 18 people with me for my AF3 back in 2003. Doing it solo seems somehow wrong to me. Just an instinctual revulsion to change, I suppose.

Anyone who played v1.0 have any thoughts on it?

Belated edit:  Full list of information in the Live Letter here:
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/117384-Letter-from-the-Producer-VIII-Transcript-BETA-P4-Aug.-17-19-EA-Aug.-24-26
Most of which we already knew.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:58:06 PM by Cyril » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: August 08, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »

They somehow got worse.

I'm ashamed of my fellow English-speakers and the messages they're sending to the developers from any and all sides.

I'm sure at some point they probably just started ignoring it completely.  And then people wonder why they get ignored.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: August 08, 2013, 05:39:04 PM »

They somehow got worse.

That said: soloing AF.  I can see the reasoning for it, and even agree with it, especially if it ends up being something like a rite of passage, a la FFXI level 70 Maat quests, but I just don't know.  I took 18 people with me for my AF3 back in 2003. Doing it solo seems somehow wrong to me. Just an instinctual revulsion to change, I suppose.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/117384-Letter-from-the-Producer-VIII-Transcript-BETA-P4-Aug.-17-19-EA-Aug.-24-26

I don't have nothing against soloing AF.  AF has been something that helps give each class a sense of identity from a casual glance by other players, and having it achievable as an individual gives you something to strive for, at least in the shorter term.  It's AF+1 armor in the game that I'd be opposed to being able to solo.  That's definitely something that should be group material, in my eyes anyway, and something more long term to shoot for... especially if it looks better than the regular AF.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: August 08, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »

I'm glad that Phase 4 is not this week as I'm currently dedicated to Dragon's Crown.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 09, 2013, 01:59:24 AM »

They somehow got worse.

Well, as a 1.0 player I'm somewhat confused by the statement and wonder if there is some mistranslation. Unlocking jobs were easily soloable with any high level character and outside of the job specific WS and AF chest armor it was all soloable. In fact some of the most enjoyable group fights were for the AF body armors (8 man). It was not hard to put together groups for the fights and if they put them on the duty finder it's even less than an issue.

As Parn said, with the introduction of AF+1 they may be shifting the group content to that and giving players an easy access entry level 50 gear for jobs. Personally as long as they keep the bulk of endgame content group oriented and give players options then sure. I'm all for accessibility but they really need to ride a hard line on content difficulty because ultimately that is going to determine player's sense of acheivement. When WoW undermined the sense of challenge for broader accessibility players developed a sense of entitlement for gear and the culture just went south. Hopefully Yoshida doesn't compromise the health of the endgame for quick subs.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 09, 2013, 04:10:40 AM »

I updated and corrected that list with info from Reinhardts live translation/official transcript and a Japanese speaking LS mate who watched the stream with me. If there is anything missing or needs correction please let me know.

http://solaris-ffxiv.enjin.com/home/m/15451565/article/1681972
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: August 09, 2013, 08:25:04 AM »

Well, as a 1.0 player I'm somewhat confused by the statement and wonder if there is some mistranslation. Unlocking jobs were easily soloable with any high level character and outside of the job specific WS and AF chest armor it was all soloable. In fact some of the most enjoyable group fights were for the AF body armors (8 man). It was not hard to put together groups for the fights and if they put them on the duty finder it's even less than an issue.

Maybe he means job quests are soloable at the intended level. i.e. You can actually get your soul at level 35 instead of waiting until 50.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 09, 2013, 08:28:08 AM »

Phase 4 Client is now available for download for PC.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/7065

EDIT- Semi-False Alarm. It's the new launcher. Client won't be downloadable till 8/15.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:33:40 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 09, 2013, 08:38:49 AM »

Maybe he means job quests are soloable at the intended level. i.e. You can actually get your soul at level 35 instead of waiting until 50.

That's a good point. Some of them are pretty obnoxious if you actually did them at the intended level.

Thought i'd share a pretty on-point video that was reposted on the beta forums that pretty much succinctly sum up why SE needs to be careful with how far they go with accessibility and dumbing down content.
http://youtu.be/GFWh9aY4pas
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:57:36 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: August 09, 2013, 05:21:12 PM »

When WoW undermined the sense of challenge for broader accessibility players developed a sense of entitlement for gear and the culture just went south.

This x100.  AHHMWGAWD I JUST DID 2 LFRS I PURPOSELY DIED IN ONE KEKEKE SO I COULD EAT A SAMMICH BUT SRSLY WHERES MY LEGENDARY???

I'm sure that makes me sound elitist, but I'm not.  I just think the appropriate amount of effort/difficulty should have an equally appropriate reward.  I'm all for making content viewable for everyone, but the effort should fit the reward.

I just want to stay positive and stay hyped for this game and am trying to reserve judgment for later when I play and see it for myself.

Thought i'd share a pretty on-point video that was reposted on the beta forums that pretty much succinctly sum up why SE needs to be careful with how far they go with accessibility and dumbing down content.
http://youtu.be/GFWh9aY4pas

Loved it.  Limp dick version.. lmao.  That video is sad and very true.  LFR is so pitifully boring because it requires no knowledge nor effort to win.  In most cases, you can completely ignore the mechanics and still win.  Just show up, hit some buttons if you feel like it, and wait for the gear to be showered down upon you.  I don't know how it's defensible either.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: August 09, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »

When I played WoW, some of the (bad) people in my guild could only do heroics with LFG since it gave a substantial buff.
That was kind of sad...
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 130 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: