Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:36:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318867 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 125 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 85643 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1065 on: September 07, 2013, 01:14:37 PM »

just tried cutters cry.....are you fucking kiddng me?????????????????????????????? also im getting sick of tanking multiple mobs ALL the fucking time. the manticore boss might actully be worse than titan.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1066 on: September 07, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »

just tried cutters cry.....are you fucking kiddng me?????????????????????????????? also im getting sick of tanking multiple mobs ALL the fucking time. the manticore boss might actully be worse than titan.
Cutter's cry was fun. The bosses weren't terribly hard and the final boss was an interesting experience in paying attention to multiple actions. I keep saying this to everyone but zoom that camera out, really helps judge movement areas and.see attacks as they happen. Also, tanking involves dealing with multiple mobs...if you're having issues with that, start making use of markers and get people to follow your lead. I started marking second and third targets for sleep and priority attacking, and minus the 1 or 2 bards who swear they are immortal it's made fighting groups more streamlined.

TASTY!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1067 on: September 07, 2013, 02:02:28 PM »

I got DCed last night and then got some error number when I tried to log back in.

They had this same thing in XI. Your character would stay logged in for a pretty long time (5-10 minutes, sometimes longer) before he DC'd. I've heard times in XI people were blocked out of the game for hours if they DC'd while zoning or something, but I dunno if that happens in XIV.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1068 on: September 07, 2013, 03:44:21 PM »

Really enjoying it so far. I am still only near the beginning with a level 15 lancer but having a total blast. I love the crafting system in this game. It seems to give me the same kind of feeling as the Atelier alchemy system where there is a lot of fun in trying to create one of every item.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1069 on: September 07, 2013, 04:25:11 PM »

I both like and loathe the materia system. The maximum bonus thing is kind of annoying. I get why it is there. I really do. But I can't even put more than +1 craftsmanship on a gods be damned ring and the materia is +3. Either allow the materia or don't. That seems the best way to do it, in my opinion. If at level 15 I can put a Materia 1 in an item, then let me do it and llet that item get the fucking bonus. DAMMIT.

Ok...rant over. Back to enjoying the game

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1070 on: September 07, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »

Got a really gorgeous chestpiece from Copperbell Mines! First piece of dungeon armor I could actually equip.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1071 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »

Yeah, I love how Foestriker's set looks.  Best DD armor in appearance other than AF, IMO.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1072 on: September 07, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »

Also, *nostalgia squee* @ FF2 Battle Theme! Hope they put some more classics in here!

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 08, 2013, 03:08:02 AM »

I both like and loathe the materia system. The maximum bonus thing is kind of annoying. I get why it is there. I really do. But I can't even put more than +1 craftsmanship on a gods be damned ring and the materia is +3. Either allow the materia or don't. That seems the best way to do it, in my opinion. If at level 15 I can put a Materia 1 in an item, then let me do it and llet that item get the fucking bonus. DAMMIT.

Ok...rant over. Back to enjoying the game

That's because rings aren't well stat capped for craftsmanship. Each peice of gear has certain stat caps, and contrary to popular belief, your primary stat isn't necessarily near cap with an HQ item. For crafting gear your tool, sub tool and body peices are your main sources of craftsmanship and control, not just in base stats but they have the highest Materia caps for those stats as well. Your head, hands, waist and boots are control. Jewlery is CP. if your doing melds for Crafsmanship, stick to your tools and main body peices. You can diversify with everything else but your mileage varies between slots and item level . This may help:
http://nix80.livejournal.com/22903.html
And
http://viperbeam.com/ffxiv/doh_materiacaps.xls

In other news, I've capped GSM, BSM, ALC, LTW, WVR as of yesterday with CRP (46) and ARM (42) soon to follow. Taking my time through story content on my SMN (enjoying SCH for dungeons - near limitless mana woot). Just finished my Battlemage set and have my Relic precursors ready for Bravura and Artemis Bow, so I'll probably finish those in a week or so. I think it's nuts that the final reward for the DoH and DoL quests are basically Luminary quality tools (same stats, unique skins).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:10:14 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1074 on: September 08, 2013, 03:11:04 AM »

Ok...rant over. Back to enjoying the gamei

That's because rings aren't well stat capped for craftsmanship. Each peice of gear has certain stat caps, and contrary to popular belief, your primary stat isn't necessarily near cap with an HQ item. For crafting gear your tool, sub tool and body peices are your main sources of craftsmanship and control, not just in base stats but they have the highest Materia caps for those stats as well. Your head, hands, waist and boots are control. Jewlery is CP. if your doing melds for Crafsmanship, stick to your tools and main body peices. You can diversify with everything else but your mileage varies between slots and item level . This may help:
http://nix80.livejournal.com/22903.html
And
http://viperbeam.com/ffxiv/doh_materiacaps.xls

In other news, I've capped GSM, BSM, ALC, LTW, WVR as of yesterday with CRP (46) and ARM (42) soon to follow. Taking my time through story content on my SMN (enjoying SCH for dungeons - near limitless mana woot) but have my Relic precursors ready for Bravura and Artemis Bow, so I'll probably finish those in a week or so. I think it's nuts that the final reward for the DoH and DoL quests are basically Luminary quality tools (same stats, unique skins).

Yes. I am aware of the state cap. That was my complaint. It is idiotic in most cases.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1075 on: September 08, 2013, 05:17:10 AM »

Tried aurum vale tonight....learned that morons from wow assume everyone understands their lame ass lingo.

Grab that pat....pat meant patrol.

Watch out for boss debuffs, when you have 2 stacks etc etc......stacks means multiple applications of the same debuff.

I've played ffxi for roughly 4 years, played psu and pso for a combined total of probably 5 or 6, and a couple other online rpg games here and there. The moron cursing me out for not understanding her terminology asked me if I ever played an mmo before. I nearly lost my shit and just bailed. Rage ensued.

Follow that up with a Dzmael Darkhold, or however it's spelt. One player.....oh my fucking god this one fucking player named Tyago....infinite anger. I mark 3 mobs and ask the whm to sleep #3 and he does. Sweet.

Tyago sets his stupid fucking ifrit pet to attack mode and wakes it up. Every time.

I grab a group and mark mobs to fight. He decides to walk to another group and bring them over. Grrrrr.....

I tell the group to stay in a safe spot while I grab a set of enemies. He fucking RUNS ahead, grabs a single enemy and fights it right where he grabbed. A fucking boss enemy is standing locked in the position repeatedly hitting him with a special attack and murders him. Que angry swearing.

I explain to the group how to fight the first boss....mid explanation he decided to start fighting.

Last boss, does line AoEs that supposedly insta kill (just high damage from what I can tell). I explain to not be in their path and when to expect them....he fucking runs his targeted ass up behind me and tries to get me killed,instead ends up killing my drg. Rage ensued.

Worst night in a while.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1076 on: September 08, 2013, 05:30:32 AM »

Wow, thanks for that.  I had no idea what "pat" meant and was wondering why people kept saying it, haha.  I just didn't know who to ask.

It's a shame about your Darkhold experience, though.  With a group of experienced players, it's a really quick, easy run.  Aurum Vale is pretty horrible no matter what you do.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1077 on: September 08, 2013, 05:44:20 AM »

Oh I know darkhold is easy. I've run it a solid 7 times now, and only when people who "blame lag" have caused failures for the run.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 08, 2013, 06:29:29 AM »

Tried aurum vale tonight....learned that morons from wow assume everyone understands their lame ass lingo.

Grab that pat....pat meant patrol.

Watch out for boss debuffs, when you have 2 stacks etc etc......stacks means multiple applications of the same debuff.

I've played ffxi for roughly 4 years, played psu and pso for a combined total of probably 5 or 6, and a couple other online rpg games here and there. The moron cursing me out for not understanding her terminology asked me if I ever played an mmo before. I nearly lost my shit and just bailed. Rage ensued.

Follow that up with a Dzmael Darkhold, or however it's spelt. One player.....oh my fucking god this one fucking player named Tyago....infinite anger. I mark 3 mobs and ask the whm to sleep #3 and he does. Sweet.

Tyago sets his stupid fucking ifrit pet to attack mode and wakes it up. Every time.

I grab a group and mark mobs to fight. He decides to walk to another group and bring them over. Grrrrr.....

I tell the group to stay in a safe spot while I grab a set of enemies. He fucking RUNS ahead, grabs a single enemy and fights it right where he grabbed. A fucking boss enemy is standing locked in the position repeatedly hitting him with a special attack and murders him. Que angry swearing.

I explain to the group how to fight the first boss....mid explanation he decided to start fighting.

Last boss, does line AoEs that supposedly insta kill (just high damage from what I can tell). I explain to not be in their path and when to expect them....he fucking runs his targeted ass up behind me and tries to get me killed,instead ends up killing my drg. Rage ensued.

Worst night in a while.

This...
This, my friend is why you get a good FC and never have to use the fucking DF for PUGs ever again. I have to shake my head at people banging their skulls on the concrete with Dhorme Chimera etc. instead of actually doing it with FC or LS people. I get the DF is a tool for convenience but its a poor substitute for real comrades who give a shit about content.

I blame WoW and it's dungeon and raid finder. Nerfing content to appeal to the lowest common denominator in the largest MMO user base is definitely having its effect on the competence of the average ARR player.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:31:23 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1079 on: September 08, 2013, 06:59:31 AM »

Loving the game so far but I do have a few questions. would be grateful if someone could answer them.

What level should I start partying? I was told level 15 but most things still seem easily soloable. Is it just for dungeons and guildleves?

I was told Fates were the best way of getting experience but dungeons were more fun and a better way of learning how to use your class well. Not as worried about this question as I am going through the game at my own pace.

I have heard the same thing as Tenchi has said about Free Companies but what level should you try to join one? Should I join one at any time so I can ask for advice on things or wait until I am stronger and able to contribute? Mainly wondering because I am pretty new to this and haven't grasped all the mechanics yet. Thought I should get more experience with my class before joining one. From what I have seen on various forums people don't seem that tolerant of mistakes and i am pretty sure at my skill level I would be making quite a few. The few Guildleves I have done have had pretty friendly people but I am guessing it changes at higher levels when there is more at stake?

I am guessing Linkshells are at any level since you can have 8 of them rather than one free company.

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 125 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: