Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:34:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332818 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 130 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 140093 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1095 on: September 10, 2013, 03:56:17 PM »

A gearscore treadmill already?  This truly is the Japanese WoW.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1096 on: September 10, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »

It's pointless.

Well... coming from WoW I can say 2 things.

#1 Blizzard's minimum requirement for gear was realistic and easy to achieve to anyone who puts a minimal effort in gearing up. It made sure you couldn't queue in dungeons where you would have been seriously under-geared.

#2 Players destroyed any use of this by either equiping items which did nothing for their class but were high item level (I have pug way too often with people in PVP sets...) and then also took it too far by requesting that others have ilvl so high they compensate for any personal skill.

Gear check isn't bad in itself. The reaction to it in WoW is what was terrible.
Sadly, I assume players will have the same reaction in FF14 unless they find a way to fix the system.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1097 on: September 10, 2013, 10:34:54 PM »

im starting to get annoyed by how every few story missions i have to level up before i can proceed.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1098 on: September 11, 2013, 12:37:43 AM »

holy shit fates have become a cluster fuck if your class doesnt have a good aoe

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: September 11, 2013, 02:42:22 AM »

Gearscore check can only be a good thing as far as I can figure it. It's true that bad players will still be bad, but bad players with good gear is still preferable to bad players with bad gear. Good players will be good regardless. And really, generally with MMOs people who are good players would end up having halfway decent gear anyway.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1100 on: September 11, 2013, 04:02:24 AM »

Beat Titan tonight with the rest of the guys. Went swimmingly. Woohoo!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1101 on: September 11, 2013, 04:27:13 AM »

Gearscore check can only be a good thing as far as I can figure it. It's true that bad players will still be bad, but bad players with good gear is still preferable to bad players with bad gear. Good players will be good regardless. And really, generally with MMOs people who are good players would end up having halfway decent gear anyway.

This is all true. However, I remember this causing problems for newer players in WoW who were actually good, but struggled to get into groups because their gearscore didn't quit cut it yet. As a result, getting new gear was very difficult and the only way to fix that problem was by getting into decent raid groups etc. Guilds pretty much solve that problem though.

Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1102 on: September 11, 2013, 04:41:14 AM »

just beat garuda woo! was soooooo much easier than titan.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: September 11, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »

Obtained Ifrit's Battleaxe last night, only took 12 runs (4 that were victories). Attempted hardmode Garuda....got smashed. It's sad how little people listen, but even sadder how many people don't speak english and make no attempt to let you know they don't.

TASTY!
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1104 on: September 11, 2013, 02:01:21 PM »

I'm actually about to attempt Garuda.

Currently Playing-Xenoblade Chronicles
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »

I'm actually about to attempt Garuda.
Fair warning, Garuda's hard if you go in blind. Way harder than titan, who some people swear is actually difficult. Just make sure you drop those feathers before you lose those rocks. Keep your tank at the large rock outside of the arena at the north end of the map with her facing out of the arena. Finalky,you can dodge slipstream, and really should. Do not be in front of her when she preps it and tell your tank to run through her when she starts it then run back when it fires.

Good luck sir. I just quelled the bitch on hardmode. Wasn't easy.

TASTY!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: September 11, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »

Man, everyone seems to be way ahead of me.

I'm still lvl 20-ish in my main class. Perhaps I should just power through with that instead of slowly raising all my crafting skills =/
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: September 11, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »

Play however you want! That's what makes this game so great!

I'm also only level 20 with my main class, and most of my time has been wasted just filling up my fish log.

EDIT: Ugh. Really want off of Hyperion. Was asking around about interest in starting an RP free company/LS and all I got were joke responses from creeps. Surely this isn't the community on every server. The original FFXIV community was much more tolerable.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:02:55 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1108 on: September 11, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »

I'd rather not get into a huge rant and make an attention whore of myself, but I'll go with a small one. 

I actually have decent gear at the moment (Darklight healing set) and tend to keep up with upgrades, so it's not really about how it affects me.  It promotes carrying by friends.  If a group wants to get someone built up, they'll just run them through the dungeons to get them gear, no matter how bad the player is.  It's not a wall; it doesn't prevent bad players from entering areas at all and bad players are the problem, not good players with bad gear.  In fact, since everyone was complaining about badly geared DDs in AK, I ran with a DRG with a 44 weapon equipped (even the tank pointed it out and laughed) that did more damage, and avoided attacks better, than one two runs later with a Garuda weapon equipped.

tl;dr
It's pointless. It does nothing.  It's a policy I utterly despise.

Oh emm gee they want people to actually see the content they created instead of skipping ahead and being carried by others. 

Not only that, it helps encounter tuning.  If they know the average gear level of the person playing said content, it's going to be a lot easier to tune said content.  Unless there are easy ways around it ala WoW PvP gear, if you're there, you probably have the gear for it and thus any issues are not gear related.

Dramatic much?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:31:31 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: September 11, 2013, 05:38:05 PM »

Considering my garuda harf mode run was nerfed because the smn came in with level 18 accessories and had the dps of a wet noodle, yeah, this gear check actually sounds fantastic.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 130 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: