Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 06:03:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329390 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 130 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 128574 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1110 on: September 11, 2013, 07:02:45 PM »

Is the collector's edition worth the  extra $20 ?
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1111 on: September 11, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »

Oh emm gee they want people to actually see the content they created instead of skipping ahead and being carried by others.  

Yeah, I think you missed my point entirely.  Or are purposely ignoring it.  It actually promotes carrying, because said person can't play with their friends or FC until they have a "gear score" on the right level, so said friends and FC will carry them to the gear they need.  It isn't going to make people play content at all.

Older MMOs worked absolutely fine without this nonsense.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:54:31 PM by Cyril » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1112 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »

What exactly is the downside?
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1113 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »

Maintenance:(

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1114 on: September 11, 2013, 08:32:16 PM »

Oh emm gee they want people to actually see the content they created instead of skipping ahead and being carried by others.  

Yeah, I think you missed my point entirely.  Or are purposely ignoring it.  It actually promotes carrying, because said person can't play with their friends or FC until they have a "gear score" on the right level, so said friends and FC will carry them to the gear they need.  It isn't going to make people play content at all.

Wait a sec, the fc and or friends will work with them to do the low level dungeons and quests and help them obtain the gear they need so they can do the higher level gear?

Cyril....do you not see how obviously blatant your statement makes this sound in terms of a good thing? You want people to play the early stuff, experience the dungeons and areas, and then walk into higher tier fights and areas with working knowledge cuz they had to trudge through sastasha and halatali and such. Seriously...couldn't be more excited about this.

TASTY!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1115 on: September 11, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »

Not really. Maybe you didn't notice the problem but it was there before (and I'm talking 1990s here). The difference is that you weren't forced to randomly party with these people.
Back then, these people were the corpses you saw at the entrance of a high level zone begging everyone for a "rez plz".
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1116 on: September 11, 2013, 08:47:29 PM »

I am excited that I will be able to play on my PS4 without paying more.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1117 on: September 11, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »

As someone who played FFXI, which is probably one of the most infamously hardcore MMOs in history (aside from EQ) on and off for nearly a decade I would say that that game would've greatly benefited from a gearscore system. The only thing that ended up happening in FFXI was that PUGs became so awful (As a result of bad players + a naturally unintuitive game) that a great number of the community huddled into their linkshells and never PUG'd. At least a gearscore system will tell players that don't know any better the general thrust of what they should do without consulting a community site and it will keep out bad players that have bad armor to compound it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:57:07 PM by Hathen » Logged
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1118 on: September 11, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »

I have sympathy for the hatred of a gear score system. 

I played ffxi as well, and stupidity, without question, was a much bigger issue than anything item related.  I never once /checked a healer and said "oh I see the problem, their gear sucks."  However, you can be sure that without checking, I could tell when the guy was not casting haste, not using regen, and instead spamming Cure IV until he pulled hate or ran out of mana.  A gear score system implies that this same guy who cure bombs a ninja that is slowed, rather than removing the slow, knows what he's doing once he equips a damaltica.

It reminds me of league of legends not giving players access to all runes / passives / summoner skills until level 30 (probably shouldn't be using the most popular game in the world as an example of something bad).  I played a lot of dota on wc3 before I ever played LoL.  I proceed to stomp people who obviously don't know how to play the game, ending with triple their gold, and they want me to do this 40 more times before I can use the skill flash, 200 more times before I can play ranked?  Blah.

It might be a wise decision that ultimately ends up benefiting the experience of most people, but the concept is still kind of offensive.  Also, *grumble grumble* 8pm-6am est maintenance.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1119 on: September 11, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »

So no gearscore system would mean that the moron is using a dalmatica that his fruends nabbed him through a high level fight that he afk'd in, and my dumbass invites him for a dungeon that he woyld be an integral part of as a healer, only his decent gear means nothing because he hasn't done a damn thing to play the game.

Seriously, atm the dungeons require a team that works together, not 3/4 people doing all the work and a moron leeching for exp and items. Even if he sucks, he's gonna be forced to do low end content and learn. How is this up for debate, if any of you played the game so far you'd be fully aware of this already. If you sucked before sastasha, you likely do not suck nearly as bad by haukke manor or even toto rak. You shouldn't be allowed to do anything else until you learn, and lets face it, you learn by doing.

TASTY!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1120 on: September 11, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »

^ Its true. I'm basically a noob  on dungeons but I've got a handle on the first four now as of now. If u enjoy playing then you are going to want to learn. I've only fucked up 2 or 3 times so far as DPS but I didn't make the same mistake twice. Players who truly suck will get weeded out soon enough and quit...hopefully. For the most part, people know what they are doing from my experience so far. Its been two weeks... Lots of people are new at this.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1121 on: September 11, 2013, 11:57:26 PM »

That's exactly it. In a few months time, when the actual players stay and the fuckholes run away for other games, the gearscore is going to make a difference. My experience so far has been terrible on many occasions, mostly because newbs join me in high level dungeons that don't require story progression and they don't stay on the same target as me or they run ahead and pull hate before I get there making me struggle to save the group. Or you get a healer or black mage who don't bother sleeping enemies and let me just eat hits all day, not that it phases me too much now (6,000 hp in a party). I haven't done much non-tanking, so I haven't seen poor tanks. All I'm saying regarding this gear score is thinking it's a bad idea because you personally can't be bothered to upgrade your gear is ridiculous. Even doing the story dungeons should give you some better gear assuming you don't run dps and get unlucky enough not to find anything in a run. Hell even story missions give you armor options. This whole thing is a dead issue, it drops fate grinding party schlubs out only.

TASTY!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1122 on: September 12, 2013, 12:12:38 AM »

I'm grinding the shit out of early dungeons for gear. DPS drops are low as far as I can see. Got 2 so far...out of at least a dozen runs.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1123 on: September 12, 2013, 12:27:30 AM »

As far as XI goes, it really depends on when you were playing. Vanilla XI was similar to Vanilla EQ in that gear had basically no stats on it so equipment basically didn't matter, at all. You would more likely notice people not casting haste, regen etc. As the game got more gear-centered a WHM would run into these problems regardless of skill if they didn't wear enough cure cast speed, potency, or Orison Pantaloons +2.

XIV is certainly a game that's gear-heavy so it doesn't matter how good a player is, if their equipment falls behind too much (Which can actually happen without you noticing it if you don't do enough quests or craft and just FATE grind) they will end up being a detriment to their groups. I can't think of any players that totally equate good gear with a good player but bad gear will make for a bad team member regardless of who it is. Gearscore walls will tell players willing to learn that they're doing something wrong, and will keep out lazy players that don't bother to learn what to do.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1124 on: September 12, 2013, 03:53:13 AM »

how can you think titan is easier than garuda?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 130 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: