Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:57:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319079 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 125 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 86428 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1200 on: September 23, 2013, 07:20:59 AM »

@ivalicealliance
Best bet is to mark mobs, so as to limit hate accumulation between enemies. Flash is beans for hate accrual, so make sure you get the initial pull to start hate growth, double flash or even triple as you ready to attack, and after establishing hate on the first mob use your big enmity hit on the other enemies as needed since the whm or sch will eventually piss the enemies off (usually quickly). Having provoke helps you immensely. Worst case and none of this helped, upgrade your weapon. Higher str generally equates to greater enmity generation as damage builds hate exceptionally well. You guys are lucky as plds cuz you don't suffer an attack penalty while using shield oath, whereas war does. Also, fuck hallowed ground, it's cheating.

Who's idea was it to give marauders holmgang and have it do absolutely nothing useful? Seriously, 6 second bind that generally equates to you eating an AoE directly in the face and a ridiculous cooldown timer. It doesn't even build hate, AND it's only effective in melee range. It's easily the worst mrd ability in the game.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 23, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »

Oh, see, I'm only at Stone Vigil.  I'm having trouble now at keeping enmity and I never had a problem until now.  I'm assuming it's because there are more mobs in a pull.  Any advice for a PLD tank?  I usually do the Shield Lob, Flash, then the combo on each mob, cycling through each one, but one always gets away and goes for my healer.

This might help:
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/118121
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1202 on: September 23, 2013, 09:21:50 AM »

@ivalicealliance
Best bet is to mark mobs, so as to limit hate accumulation between enemies. Flash is beans for hate accrual, so make sure you get the initial pull to start hate growth, double flash or even triple as you ready to attack, and after establishing hate on the first mob use your big enmity hit on the other enemies as needed since the whm or sch will eventually piss the enemies off (usually quickly). Having provoke helps you immensely. Worst case and none of this helped, upgrade your weapon. Higher str generally equates to greater enmity generation as damage builds hate exceptionally well. You guys are lucky as plds cuz you don't suffer an attack penalty while using shield oath, whereas war does. Also, fuck hallowed ground, it's cheating.

Who's idea was it to give marauders holmgang and have it do absolutely nothing useful? Seriously, 6 second bind that generally equates to you eating an AoE directly in the face and a ridiculous cooldown timer. It doesn't even build hate, AND it's only effective in melee range. It's easily the worst mrd ability in the game.

Actually, shield oath has an attack penalty of 20%.  As for provoke, all it does is check the enmity amount of the person with the highest enmity on the target and puts you 1 enmity point higher than them.  You have to follow up with something immediately (shield lob) or you'll just lose hate again.

Vitality takes priority over anything else for stat allocation on paladin.

Also of note, my shield lob button is a target marking macro and shirld lob in one.  Marking your current target with a big blue X does wonders for focus fire.  Doesn't always work with pubbies, but it usually does.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1203 on: September 23, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »

I just wish how some of these tanks are so quick at marking targets. Is there a hotkey or something I don't know about? The only way I've ever figured out for marking targets is by right clicking them in the target window.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1204 on: September 23, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »

You can put the signs on your hotbar.
Go to "P" -> Main Commands (something like that) -> Signs (right-click it)

Also, Arcanist is soooo good at soloing it's crazy.
At level 13, with my starting race clothe (the very first armor you have) I easily killed the 3 lvl 20 hunting targets to finish my second page.
I don't think I could do that with any other class.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:29:18 AM by Annubis » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1205 on: September 23, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »

Vanity slots are supposedly coming in 2.1, which is fantastic since that opens up the entire game's art assets for widespread use.

I don't think there's an official source for that. As far as I know Yoshi just said he liked the idea but I don't think there was ever any solid announcement when or even if something like that woud come other than players just yanking it out of nowhere.

Vitality takes priority over anything else for stat allocation on paladin.

From what I understand, Warriors should basically dump everything into VIT as well, because people tested out how much STR would help your parries and it turned out it was something stupid like 20 STR for 1% extra damage reduction on parries.

The endgame for this game is pretty poorly tiered. I beat hard mode Ifrit and Garuda, and I was advised to work on my gear and obtain some Darklight before I proceeded to Titan- turns out the only dungeon I should run is Amdapor Keep because everything else is either too difficult from my lack of Darklight or it doesn't give Tomestones of Mythology and I'm getting way less bang for my buck. So basically, I'm only ever running that one dungeon, over and over. Yuck. I'm actually glad my queue times on DPS are so long because it gives me an opportunity to gather and craft so I don't go insane from the monotony.

Even with that though, when I actually get in people are horrible players. I can't believe how many times I've been stuck on the Demon Wall in AK because people can't dodge what is probably the most predictable boss pattern in the whole game.

At least I've been pretty lucky with the drops though. Already replaced almost all my AF with Toxote's- bittersweetly I might add since they decided to go with really plain and ugly models even for level 50 dungeon gear. I'm thinking about buying Bard's Chapeau as my first Mythology item so I can at least have the spiffy hat.

I really hope they fix the lag with the server soon. I'm glad I chose Archer as my class because my latency is so bad that I have to get out of the circle maybe 2 seconds before the thing actually completes casting for it to register properly, which just means the only way I'm dodging anything is by constantly running around like an idiot, or knowing exactly what order and area the boss will attack (Demon Wall). From what I hear about Titan that will not be as effective as it has been for me on basically every boss I've come across because I risk overlapping something targeted at me with someone else's.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:51:00 AM by Hathen » Logged
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1206 on: September 23, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »

Thanks, everyone! It feels kinda embarrassing asking these types of questions so late into the game.  I know I must be near the end of the main story, which means there are probably a few more dungeons which will mean a higher difficulty.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1207 on: September 23, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »

Thanks, everyone! It feels kinda embarrassing asking these types of questions so late into the game.  I know I must be near the end of the main story, which means there are probably a few more dungeons which will mean a higher difficulty.

Don't feel bad, I just learned that *Favorite destination on the aether stones are 50% cheaper to warp to...
I thought it was just to list the ones you go to often.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1208 on: September 23, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »

i sorta disagree on vitallity being the prime stat for pld. ive never died because i didnt have enough hp. also aurum vale sucks.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1209 on: September 23, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »

i sorta disagree on vitallity being the prime stat for pld. ive never died because i didnt have enough hp. also aurum vale sucks.

30 str = ~1% more damage and MAYBE 1% more damage block
30 dex = MAYBE 1% more parry
30 vit = 10% more HP

So, by the numbers, you get more out of each point with vit.
Technically, you could put it all into mind for more OP cures and nobody would notice.

Heck, I'll even expand a bit more. Technically vit has the best return out of every stat, but is also the most useless.
- Determination seems to be the second best stat for scaling.
- Skill/spell speed scale incredibly bad but it's a pretty good stat (Altough, not great on melee that can run out of TP, since it just means you'll run out sooner)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:41:45 PM by Annubis » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1210 on: September 23, 2013, 06:32:36 PM »

Alisha, being that you have better damage mitigation on pld, having extra hp is nothing but a blessing for all. More hits you can eat, more time to cure you, less likely to accidentally eat it due to a large group mauling you and most importantly, less cures needing to be cast so the whm doesn't have to start casting before you pull and thus reducing enmity generated elsewhere. It's a shame vitality has no merit outside hp though, as that would definitely put it in the running for best stat in game.

@Parn, didn't know shield oath had a 20% damage penalty....still have 5% more damage output while in use though, and hallowed ground. Goddamn paladerps.

TASTY!
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1211 on: September 23, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »

The idea I've seen going around is to lvl both PAL and WAR.
Put 30 VIT on the PAL and he becomes your boss tanker.
Put 30 STR on the WAR and he becomes the trash mob kill them quicker.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1212 on: September 23, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »

Except fuck pld, they ruined my shot at fighting titan without paying for it. 150k to get my win and I had to fight AND we still wiped once.

TASTY!
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1213 on: September 23, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »

Except fuck pld, they ruined my shot at fighting titan without paying for it. 150k to get my win and I had to fight AND we still wiped once.
freaking ouch
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1214 on: September 23, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »

Don't feel bad, I just learned that *Favorite destination on the aether stones are 50% cheaper to warp to...
I thought it was just to list the ones you go to often.

I didn't know that,lol.  Something else I have learned!

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 125 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: