Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 11:59:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337994 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 134 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 154930 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1215 on: September 23, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »

I really kind of want the music that plays in Toto Rak to add to my playlist. A lot of the music in the game is fantastic, but that one really grabbed my attention.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1216 on: September 23, 2013, 11:12:32 PM »

With PLD capped at 50, been working on marauder.  Hit level 20 with the goal of getting to 26 for mercy stroke (I like free damage).  After that, it's conjurer to 34 for stoneskin, since I'd rather have it in favor of cure which heals for a paltry amount.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1217 on: September 23, 2013, 11:38:59 PM »

Thing about VIT is that, even IF STR was actually more damage reduction overall, VIT is often still a better stat because because it increases your eHP, that is, your HP in worst-case scenarios where all your block checks have failed. Ninja in XI, for example, was a job completely reliant on block-likes to tank (utsusemi, evasion and parry), which is why nobody ever asked NIN to tank big stuff. It's just needlessly taking a gamble.

I really kind of want the music that plays in Toto Rak to add to my playlist. A lot of the music in the game is fantastic, but that one really grabbed my attention.

Personally I think the base XIV had a much better soundtrack song-by-song, but it seems they discarded most of Uematsu's rock-like tracks because it didn't mesh with the world. The new soundtrack has better ambiance but I feel is far less memorable. Not on the level of XI's soundtrack IMO.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1218 on: September 24, 2013, 12:01:19 AM »

I would like to recommend to my good buddy Hathen here, to consider saving his tomestones of mythology for his relic+1 upgrade, as it's only 900 stones to do so after getting the relic, which is fairly easy assuming your group if dudes is up to handling Titan, the only hard fight there.

For all of you level 50 characters btw, just know that for the 8 man dungeons (and some 4 man) the party makeup in the duty finder isn't always necessary. For example, praetorium can be effectively done with 5 dps, 1 tank, and 2 healers, although if you have a really high end healer you could sub the other healer for a 6th dps. A good caestrum meredium or whatever it's called can be done similiarly in like 25 minutes with a well prepared group. Matter of fact, ifrit and titan have a similar strat for well geared parties where a pld tanks (no warriors for single enemy boss fights, fuck you all) and a shitton of DD simply wreck it down. Using duty finder for high end game generally involves a lot of people who can't or don't bother fine tuning their gameplay, so building parties ala old school ffxi has become a norm on ultros so as to avoid shitty assholes who rather blame a tank for their inability to throttle back on hate or the healer for not spamming medica when they pulled hate and died.

TASTY!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1219 on: September 24, 2013, 01:09:26 AM »

that thing about 30 str adding 1% sounds like bs unless theres a str cap that you reach naturally wich makes me wonder if every class should only put points in vit or piety?

edit:tried amdapor keep for hoplite gear and was told to gtfo because its a gear check and AF doesnt cut it. was suggested to try wanderers palace and wiped multiple times at the second boss >_>. i cant really make gear upgrades right now due to money issues.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:11:55 AM by Alisha » Logged

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1220 on: September 24, 2013, 01:33:24 AM »

I don't know what people are talking about, I got through AK just fine in AF stuff plus GC bow, and I've had AF tanks (both jobs) before. Just make sure you upgraded your accessories and don't stand in the goddamn fire. I'm also not sure how you can be short on money if you took the gil bags whenever there was no gear from quests. I had something like 150k just from that when I was freshly level 50.

Also the STR to parry ratio is something people have done a decent amount of testing on before they came to the conclusion, people didn't just pull it out of nowhere. There are tiers to parrying and they happen once every 20 points or something dumb. There's no known cap, its just that it takes an absurd amount of base stat to see a difference. Because of how the tiers are specific numbers though, there might be some places where adding just a few str points will give you a new tier and be worth it. People haven't totally figured it out, though, and it'd be annoying to constantly tweak your stats because it costs 10k seals to do it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:40:11 AM by Hathen » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1221 on: September 24, 2013, 02:01:23 AM »

that thing about 30 str adding 1% sounds like bs

On a PAL, somebody did a parse on a dummy of 0 and then 30 STR and the result is seriously only 1-2% more overall damage.
I'd wager that base weapon damage is by far the best way to increase your damage.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1222 on: September 24, 2013, 05:48:50 AM »

that thing about 30 str adding 1% sounds like bs

On a PAL, somebody did a parse on a dummy of 0 and then 30 STR and the result is seriously only 1-2% more overall damage.
I'd wager that base weapon damage is by far the best way to increase your damage.
I wonder if its the same with Dex, and mnd as well?....Interesting if that is true I am pretty much gonna stack vit for survivability. Seems like stacking the other stats is such a waste unless you have a freaking ton.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1223 on: September 24, 2013, 11:02:36 AM »

For people having issues dealing with cash and eventual gear checks for amdapor keep, skip that and do the level 48 story dungeon. It's vastly easier when you speed run it and the 100 tomestones per completion offer you a great amount of better gear and even more important, the crafting items are worth a good amount of cash to crafters, so even if you don't wanna buy the equipment, the items will help you obtain better gear.

AK runs will eventual be a requirement for you anyway, though, so if anyone needs some help dealing with the bosses, I have a very good strategy for each of them. As a tank, you get tosee what happens during a fight better than most, so I pick up tweaks and adjustments for most of the bosses as I go ( which is why I'm so pissed about hardmode titan, MY GOD that fight is not hard at all). Not gonna write it now as spoilers for people looking for some challenge, but yeah, i'll message anyone the infor.if they want it. The final boss of Amdapor Keep is a fucking joke with the strat I use.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1224 on: September 24, 2013, 11:46:03 PM »

I really don't like this philosophy FFXIV's team has about nerfing older content as new content is added so that casual players can experience the game as a whole. I get the idea behind it, but just because I happen to be playing at a slower pace than someone else, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm looking for hand outs. When I do get to the current endgame content, I'd like it to be as challenging as it was when those who play more than me were doing it.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1225 on: September 25, 2013, 03:54:30 AM »

Bravura get. My warrior now has 6915 hp with defiance up outside of a party. Fucking ballin.

TASTY!
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1226 on: September 25, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »

I really don't like this philosophy FFXIV's team has about nerfing older content as new content is added so that casual players can experience the game as a whole. I get the idea behind it, but just because I happen to be playing at a slower pace than someone else, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm looking for hand outs. When I do get to the current endgame content, I'd like it to be as challenging as it was when those who play more than me were doing it.

Yes I agree also, as I'm a bit on the slow side too....mainly because I can't play 24/7,but the problem is all these people who can play 24/7 and who rush rush rush through the game, get their gear then stand around with their relic +1 hardons and complain their bored. So, the current end game will always have to be changing every few months to try and satisfy these people.

doh
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1227 on: September 25, 2013, 08:33:28 PM »

Bravura get. My warrior now has 6915 hp with defiance up outside of a party. Fucking ballin.

Question for the resident warrior who powered through the content pretty well, put effort into getting gear, and hates paladin.  Do you find it TRUE that the plds should be the ones tanking the harder fights, or is it just a matter of people being bad, with the pld making it easier for them to hide their badness?  As a level 40something warrior who has never had a healer drop below 85%mp, it sounds really odd to me to hear rumblings of a job I have never partied with being better at the main thing I'm supposed to do.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1228 on: September 25, 2013, 09:02:20 PM »

I fought Ifrit for the first time today, and it would be an understatement to say how much I loved it!
Also the first time I was able to party with everyone from the same server so that was good too. We died a couple times to Hellfire but the 3rd time I attack once that pillar "thing" that pops up with my Conjurer so people would notice it, thankfully it worked.

I also loved this Ifrit's design, much more agressive than what I was expecting.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1229 on: September 25, 2013, 11:14:51 PM »

My fellow warrior ferretwraith, people complain about warrior in harder fights because curing becomes more involved. As a warrior, we get access to self recovery that plds don't, but the have better damage reduction and prevention then we do. As a result, plds get more invites due to the healer having a fairly obvious point to begin healing at, whereas warriors can get to half health and effectively restore it much quicker and maintain hate. Long story short, plds are for lazy healers who rely on cure spam, warrior are more detailed and require more attention but are more cost effective. Just don't stack wrath for an entire boss fight when a quick inner beast can recover an easy 1/5th of your health in a single move.

For reference, my war can do the damage combo (heavy swing-maim-storm's path) to boost damage and lower enemy slash resistance, pop berserk, drop inner beast once for 500 and effectively restore 1500, use Infuriate and restore all wrath, pop a second inner beast for another 500 damage and 1500 health, and then follow up with thrill of battle for 20% hp restored and a boosted 20% hp for a few seconds. This is in the span of about 6 seconds after doing the damage combo. My standard inner beasts with maim and storm's path used will generally do 350+, for a quick 1000 health, so options are always present for quick health.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 134 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: