Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 12:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341126 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 135 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 163861 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1545 on: November 04, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »

That much I understand. I was just talking about on the forums how the game is far too linear for an MMO. Equipment progression is especially purely linear with absolutely no lateral progression whatsoever.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1546 on: November 04, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »

It was mostly because you said this

I didn't have the heart to tell him three friends and I cleared it twice the night before with no relics and no DL, and it was our first time in WP.

Which made me think you don't like it when people shout for relic-only parties. For the record I've never done shout groups myself either, I always either go with friends or use the DF. I'm hardly picky about who I go with as long as they arn't the kind of players that are halfway asleep when they play the game and get hit by every AoE.

i think the lack of logical progression at endgame is a real problem. in ffxi i never felt like my gear was an issue for progression

I'm not sure what you mean by "logical", if anything the precise problem with MMOs now is that progression is too "logical" in that its tiered into specific levels of difficulty (ilevel) instead of having a ton of lateral progression that games like XI (used to) have. It's done because it's easier to design for because lateral expansion of a game's content means they have to constantly think of new ways to challenge the player, whereas in vertical progression the only thing you need to really do is increase the numbers and you're done for the day. So far they've been pretty good about the variety in the boss fights, but its easier to do that when you only have a few boss fights. We'll see what happens as we get more content.

i don't think you get what i'm getting at...titan hm is the only content that would require a primal weapon. so your getting it to clear one fight then it's obsolete...
How is it obsolete? You have 900 tomes ready to buy your relic afterwards? Do you think you'll actually beat titan in one go? Did you know you can only use relic weapons on the job and not on the class? In some small cases, using the class aline has more benefits lime extra cross class abilities accessible and more slots for them, and classes still get to use the primal weapons,which are the stronges weapons available before relic. The whole game is about linear progression in terms of gear, and often times you ended up replacing new armor with something better very quickly. This is no different.

TASTY!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1547 on: November 04, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »

You're right that some people end up using their Primal weapon a while after they get it because they'll be stuck on Titan (unless they get carried/pay for it/really good+in the group lottery), but you are familiar with people that got their Primal weapon and barely used it before they beat Titan as well. I do agree with how weird the weapon progression is in this game, the problem was probably once again that Crystal Tower was supposed to be in the game at launch to give you an alternative to the relic weapon that didn't require a time-consuming quest chain.

Did you know you can only use relic weapons on the job and not on the class?

Are you for real. When's the last time you took your Warrior crystal off?

die

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1548 on: November 04, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »

Actually, marauder can outdps warrior due to more cross class abilities. I don't swap out cuz I'm a warrior always all the time, plus pc use is sort of required for the 5 extra cross class abilities that you'll cycle in.

Also, I like girls, but this time, it's about JUSTICE!

TASTY!
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1549 on: November 05, 2013, 12:17:59 AM »

My FC's backs must be  hurting from carrying my SCH through titan tonight =).
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1550 on: November 05, 2013, 12:54:56 AM »

i got through on sch too. just need to get 300 more tomes for my relic

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:57:58 AM by Alisha » Logged

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: November 05, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »

While I'm farming tomestones for DL armour, I'll be saving the myth ones for relic +1. Seems like the best bet as usual for DRG, even though I really want all the wyrm's gear.

Almost got to do AK last night, but we wouldn't have gotten a run in before maintenance. :(

And I Got to the last page of the blacksmith crafting log. Yikes. The stuff I can make... But the materials I need. If I recall coke is either stupidly expensive, or I need tomestones for it, and those will go to my dragoon for now. I think it'll be a while before I complete the log. =P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1552 on: November 05, 2013, 07:30:04 PM »

Finally! After a two week detour, I at last have Blood for Blood in my Monk's arsenal and can start my relic quest and WP.

Aaaannd Relic Step 2 is pretty much where you learn how ridiculous the Materia conversion system in this game is. Even the online guides basically say "Yeaahh... it's kind of random. Good luck."Just spent the 50k on the two materia I needed (and eventually more on the pieces I converted that I needed for other jobs)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:32:27 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: November 06, 2013, 02:07:27 AM »

And.... Amdapor Keep wasn't even bad on a second try! Just had to learn a key thing or two about demon wall since I didn't fall over the edge this time. Everything else about it was totally fine.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1554 on: November 06, 2013, 02:30:03 AM »

And.... Amdapor Keep wasn't even bad on a second try! Just had to learn a key thing or two about demon wall since I didn't fall over the edge this time. Everything else about it was totally fine.

Yeah we LOLed it pretty hard. And I'm not even wearing a single piece of Darklight.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: November 06, 2013, 02:39:20 AM »

Yeah we LOLed it pretty hard. And I'm not even wearing a single piece of Darklight.

That's because you're too busy looking like Peter Pan.

I don't think any of us had darklight gear. Except my belt. Big deal. =P Even the first time the dungeon wasn't that bad outside of that one fight.

Unlocked Bahamuts Coil. That should be fun. Even with darklight gear.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:42:26 AM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1556 on: November 07, 2013, 02:31:30 AM »

I guess a lot of my bitterness comes from the fact that I get sucked into depression knowing that my warrior has been worked on so hard and everyone bitches about me not being a pld instead. I had to work twice as hard as most players to get what I have now simply due to number crunchers stating warriors are inferior, meanwhile I've saved 4 titan runs as a war because I learned every trick possible to fight him, and continuously due stuff for people like chimera and hydra just to show that a skilled war is far better than a shitty pld. When I see someone get a relic I get almost jealous knowing that they're just getting more options open to them and I get to rage at how another pld is gonna get picked over me for Coil runs.

To help you understand my rage better, 2 pld party for turn 1 last night, both were in full DL and with relic +1. Neither could effectively do BC with the strat the leader suggested. When I explained my war strat, which revolved around simply eating hits instead of nerfing buffs, we won on the second attempt. The leader refused my war because they wanted to be safe with 2 plds. My strategy worked over his....

I swear to god Warrior was literally designed for me as a person, as I am always at max wrath and constantly use Infuriate.

That's the problem though, the typical WAR doesn't know that keeping all 5 stacks of Wrath gives them a pretty hefty healing bonus (15% - which is huge when you also count critical heals). They're too busy self-healing and making the healers have to work harder every time that buff is down. We've pretty much exclusively use a WAR tank on Titan now if its a green healer. Dio gets about 500 HP a tick on Regen when its cast on his WAR. Throw a Stoneskin on for 18% of that HP and you're a bored WHM (so I nuke ;p)  I used to be in the school of thought that PLD's were superior tanks, but honestly they both can do it well, and there's situations where I'd rather take a WAR vs. a PLD and vice versa.

We oneshot Turn 1 with the newb team this week, progression team oneshot Turn 2 and we got to phase 4 with the newb team in Turn 4. Should have Twintania on farm by Thanksgiving :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:33:48 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: November 07, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »

Yep, I've played with good and bad warriors AND paladins. Hell, even the last random warrior is fine, it was his attitude that sucked.

@Tenchi, what do you recommend before attempting the coil? Full (or at least most) darklight gear?

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1558 on: November 07, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »

Yep, I've played with good and bad warriors AND paladins. Hell, even the last random warrior is fine, it was his attitude that sucked.

@Tenchi, what do you recommend before attempting the coil? Full (or at least most) darklight gear?
All darklight gear. Healers aren't as imperative for full DL but anything that's in melee range will need every bit of hp they can get. Turn 1's boss will do cleave and AoE attacks that can 1 shot you easy. I know you asked tenchi, but I've got a lot of experience there as a dragoon, so I figure I'd be able to give you a fair idea as such.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1559 on: November 07, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »

Yesterday I got the extremely rare "Thank you" for being a good DPS. Was doing the Morbol Guildhest with the bubbles and our other DPS was either a dipshit or a troll and kept attacking the purple bubbles while I was alone in taking out the blue ones. Also when we got the occasional Jam, the tank didn't bother getting the aggro so I was also busy keeping those off our healer. Just as things were getting out of sorts, the LB bar filled and I used it to finish off the Morbol.

After the fight, the healer thanked me personally. It felt great 'cause DPS is a pretty thankless job. People are always assuming anyone who chooses to play DPS is taking the easy/lazy role.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 135 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: