Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:35:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334629 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 133 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 144419 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: November 07, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »

Yep, I've played with good and bad warriors AND paladins. Hell, even the last random warrior is fine, it was his attitude that sucked.

@Tenchi, what do you recommend before attempting the coil? Full (or at least most) darklight gear?
All darklight gear. Healers aren't as imperative for full DL but anything that's in melee range will need every bit of hp they can get. Turn 1's boss will do cleave and AoE attacks that can 1 shot you easy. I know you asked tenchi, but I've got a lot of experience there as a dragoon, so I figure I'd be able to give you a fair idea as such.

Oh, I didn't mean to overlook you, I just know Tenchi has done a lot of BC runs lately. Going to be working on darklight gear and relic +1 for the next few weeks anyway.

Also, I hear that Crystal Tower is going to be easier than Bahamut's Coil.

Yesterday I got the extremely rare "Thank you" for being a good DPS. Was doing the Morbol Guildhest with the bubbles and our other DPS was either a dipshit or a troll and kept attacking the purple bubbles while I was alone in taking out the blue ones. Also when we got the occasional Jam, the tank didn't bother getting the aggro so I was also busy keeping those off our healer. Just as things were getting out of sorts, the LB bar filled and I used it to finish off the Morbol.

After the fight, the healer thanked me personally. It felt great 'cause DPS is a pretty thankless job. People are always assuming anyone who chooses to play DPS is taking the easy/lazy role.

What job are you? I don't feel like DPS is entirely thankless, as a dragoon everyone (almost) always wants me to use the limit breaks. Then again maybe it's mostly friends who thank me :)

I also don't think it's easy or lazy. Being a melee DPS, I need to dodge crap constantly while making sure I'm usually dealing damage... and not take the aggro off the tank at the same time. Oh and not run out of TP. After I got my relic and we ran AK together, I pulled aggro off my favourite paladin (aka Mike) more than once. I can't really speak for other DPS jobs though.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1561 on: November 07, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »

I normally play as Monk which requires a fair amount of repositioning for max DPS. For that particular guildhest though, I was levelling Lancer for the Blood for Blood skill. And yeah, other DPS players understand that DPS isn't all fun and games, but most of the people that play mainly tanks or healers think that just because if DPS dies it's not instant wipe that they don't matter quite as much.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1562 on: November 07, 2013, 08:47:41 PM »

Crystal Tower is ilevel 80 in gear terms, so yeah it's easier in regards to diffculty and requirements. However, it's a 24 player dungeon, so that means way more people and more possibilities to screw up. I look forward to the rage everyone experiences during it.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1563 on: November 08, 2013, 12:06:31 AM »

Yep, I've played with good and bad warriors AND paladins. Hell, even the last random warrior is fine, it was his attitude that sucked.

@Tenchi, what do you recommend before attempting the coil? Full (or at least most) darklight gear?

Any combination of DL and ilevel70 crafted gear (yes, you need Materia in it). You can get by with the ilevel 49-55 jewelry. The final boss of Turn 1 is a major gear and DPS check, but more so for your tanks than anyone else in the group. Coil is an ilevel 90 series of dungeons that was designed for ilevel 80 gear (Crystal Tower), but right now you only have ilevel 70 available till you gear up in Coil. So, it needs to be stressed that there's really no wiggle room for gear or performance. Even with full DL, if anyone isn't playing at 100%, you will fail.
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1564 on: November 08, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »

New hack that has turned up:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/116539-My-friend-was-hacked-while-logged-in?p=1533850#post1533850

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/116540-Market-board-forced-to-buy-an-item-on-the-board-while-not-at-the-market-board

Simply amazing how easy this game can be hacked...

doh
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1565 on: November 08, 2013, 08:47:07 AM »

Holy shit!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1566 on: November 08, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »

That is unbelievable. Square Enix needs to stop fucking around with Patch 2.1 and fix these parts of the game that are broken and/or ripe for exploitation.

EDIT: Well they seem to be on the ball. Shut down Worlds almost immediately and apparently were able to address the issue. But really, they need to stop fixing these exploits on a case-by-case basis and really look at their security measures.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:35:32 AM by Klutz64 » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 08, 2013, 11:45:55 AM »

Whoa. I was just on Lodestone and the notice just vaguely addressed 'market fraud.' Holy shit. Good that they seemed to have gotten on this pretty quick, but I agree, they ought to look at overall security. To lose 3 million Gil... Insane.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1568 on: November 08, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »

Welcome to Crime2K
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1569 on: November 08, 2013, 12:52:15 PM »

Constantly getting stuck in a bad party in Aurum Vale would be tolerable if it was actually capable of weeding out those players that cannot for the life of them learn to pay attention. Yet somehow they get through to endgame dungeons.
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1570 on: November 09, 2013, 12:47:11 AM »

Yesterday I got the extremely rare "Thank you" for being a good DPS.

I don't specifically thank them, but as someone who has only partied as a tank, I find the DPS slots to be where the good players can actually shine through.  I feel like tanks and healers are limited by... how to phrase it... "competent is all you can ask for and all that matters."

Are the mobs targeting the tank and is everyone still alive?  Great job you guys!  If you're not in level 15 white gear, we're 90% of the way there!  Aw you dudes are greatness man!  The DPS on the other hand, have a very direct connection to things like how long the runs take, how threatening certain mobs are depending on how long they're alive for, and how smoothly the random boss mechanics that immediately wipe the party go.

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1571 on: November 13, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »

I had to stop playing this because the PS3 version was irritating me.  I'm just going to wait until the Spring when the PS4 version launches, to start playing again.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: November 13, 2013, 06:06:38 PM »

What was irritating about it? It's slow-loading at times, but I'm still managing. I have hard that having an SSD for a PS3 hard drive really helps with the loading. Not exactly a cheap solution, but when you're like me with about 2-3 GB left and need to upgrade regardless... well... :P

Fun times with upgrading and getting more DL gear: Yay, I do more damage! Oh wait no, I do too much and the tank lost the aggro to me! That was almost never a problem pre-relic weapon.

Anyway, it's nice to get recognition but I really don't think we're more or less important than tanks or healers.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1573 on: November 13, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »

My endgame experience so far:

"Yay! Grand Company Weapon!"
"Yay! Wanderer's Palace DL Weapon!"

Soon:

"Yay! Iftrit Weapon!"
"Yay! Garuda Weapon!"
"Yay! Relic Weapon!"

Seriously, the game throws way too many weapons at you endgame, and yet they still manage to not have any lateral progression there.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: November 13, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »

Oh man, I had my grand company weapon for a whiiiiiile and then my WP one for like, a day before getting my relic. Despite many tries with Ifrit especially, I wound up with no primal weapons, but by the time Titan was done with, it was easier to earn the extra 60 tomestones for my relic than do Garuda or Titan again for the *chance* at a primal one.

I do like the darklight cuirass now that it's on my character. It seems to lack shape on other people I see it on. =P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 133 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: