Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:24:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319284 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 125 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 87521 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1620 on: November 24, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »

All hail StumbleButt! My KFC is full grown and ready to be BBQed.

Wait, you're Arrowny? Aren't you in my Roleplay LS? That's awesome! (And congrats! I keep forgetting to summon my chocobo when I'm farming for mats =_=)
Yep. I don't RP much, but I usually end up on RpPvP servers or things related. Phoenix Throne-Warhammer, Lumiel- Aion, Sunrest-Rift, Basilisk Crag -Tera.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: November 26, 2013, 10:05:53 AM »

Great start to the week. Solaris Conquers Binding Coil of Bahamut: Turn 4.

Twintania is not impressed...

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:07:54 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: November 26, 2013, 01:08:59 PM »

According to the LS chat, Twintania basically ate you guys up and spat you all back out. :P

Housing preview and process:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/059bbe56423e9f9f618a578f2a926bda296b64a2

I'm still wondering what the costs will be. My FC has saved up a bunch of gil, but not knowing whether it's enough or not = D:

Edit: who the hell have I not added on Hyperion yet? I should get on that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:04:09 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: November 29, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »

Next Letter:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/b6af5f5e126d507cde471cdca7d806f7a0a63d23

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1624 on: November 29, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »

I don't think you've added me yet. Alma Wyndsong.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: November 29, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »

I (Eva Vasir) will add you.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Anain

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1626 on: November 29, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »

I haven't posted here in forever. I am loving this game. I'm anain geraste on Hyperion if anyone wants to add me. :) 37 whm so far
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1627 on: December 01, 2013, 07:16:53 AM »

Got all my crafting classes to 50. Splurged a whole ton of money gearing up two of them (forbidden melds are pretty painful), probably going to gear the rest up the old fashioned way by getting my gathering classes up. In the meantime the two that have been geared up get to look suave.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 01, 2013, 11:29:39 AM »

I love how nice the level 50 set of crafting gear looks. Even if you use an odd colour scheme, it still looks pretty snazzy.

Speaking of crafting, I uh started leatherworker yesterday afternoon and got to level 18 before going to bed. Dragoon is almost full darklight...

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1629 on: December 02, 2013, 08:18:26 AM »

Got all my crafting classes to 50. Splurged a whole ton of money gearing up two of them (forbidden melds are pretty painful), probably going to gear the rest up the old fashioned way by getting my gathering classes up. In the meantime the two that have been geared up get to look suave.

If you have all your crafting classes to 50 why did you have to spend a bunch of money gearing them. Shouldn't you have been able to make all your own stuff?
I see this all the time on lodestone characters. People will have everything maxed out and if you look at their gear hardly any of it made by them and just bought.....so lazy...

doh
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1630 on: December 02, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »

Well, yes, but materials don't just...well, materialize. I make my own stuff but I had to buy the mats obviously (I even mentioned I'll probably gear the rest by leveling my gathering classes). I don't wear stuff I don't make because I want it to have my name on it. I leveled all my crafting classes in tandem specifically because I wanted to make all my own crafting tools and armor while I was leveling up. Actually the sad thing is that the economy is so screwed up right now it's probably cheaper to just buy the armor instead of making it yourself, considering that if you're freshly level 50 crafting you'll have some amount of chance of not HQing the damn things and needing to make them all over again and you'll end up spending double or more of what you would've spent.

They probably should put some kind of penalty for removing your merchandise otherwise people will do what they've been doing, just relisting all their stuff 1 gil below yours (or if they're really dumb they'll undercut you by thousands). Just yesterday I managed to buy a stack of electrum ingots and they were significantly cheaper than if I had synthed all the electrum ore I had mined earlier, so I did the smart thing of selling all my ore and buying a shitload of ingots and saved hours of my time sitting down spamming careful synthesis over and over. People seem to forget that shards cost a hell of a lot of money.

That aside, I already implied that most of my money was spent overmelding (you'd think you'd figure that out from the fact that I was talking about how painful it is) because breaking those means you lose the materia. I had my own stockpile of them but you burn through them pretty quickly. I'm not interested in spiritbonding tons and tons of trash level 30 armor myself just so I can fail at overmelding 30+ times, it's a lot more efficient to just buy it. Call that part lazy if you'd like, but I'd rather actually play the game.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:06:18 AM by Hathen » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: December 02, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »

Not only are shards stupid expensive, but they are a pain in the ass to farm. I'm not sure how hard to is to mine them, but you really don't get that many from fighting the elemental sprites. I've found it much easier to farm the *crystals* and more worth it than buying the things, where the shards are the opposite. And even then it's hard to find a small stack on the boards (everyone sells them by the thousands on Hyperion).

And yes, if you have every single class you COULD gather/craft almost everything yourself, but that sounds painstakingly time-consuming (and boring.... I have fallen asleep after too much crafting) and I'm sure Hathen would actually like to fight things every once in a while.

Also crafting/gathering requires crazy amounts of inventory space.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:39:03 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1632 on: December 02, 2013, 03:23:11 PM »

Just noticed this will be down to $10.00 this week on PSN, and since it is eligible for a free upgrade on the PS4, I was thinking of taking the plunge.

My only question is, how does it play on a console?? I can't say I've really ever considered playing an MMO on a console, but as I no longer have a gaming PC this may be the only way I can play this game.

Is it odd playing it with a controller, considering there are skill buttons to press and such? What about interacting with others?

Thanks.
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1633 on: December 03, 2013, 04:10:14 AM »

There are minimal issues with using a controller to play this game.  I play on PC, and use a gamepad about 98% of the time.  The other 2% is equipment navigation (just faster to look at stuff with a mouse), some occasional "no target THAT one," and marking targets back in lower level content when I thought the game was going to be hard enough to warrant marking targets.  It might take some target filter editing / new muscle memory learning, but I think you too could be 98% content with a controller.  Oh and be prepared to press the l2 / r2 triggers... a lot... I mean for almost the entire duration of your playtime.

I would expect at least a usb keyboard would be helpful if you ever want to be friendly with anyone.

The bigger concern is that a ps3 really isn't nearly strong enough to be running the game as it's intended to be played.  It's one of the best looking MMORPGs out currently, and you would be playing on a machine that can't even promise to load all of your party members on the screen.  I haven't played on ps3, but I played on a lower-end (stronger than ps3) PC for awhile.  It is miserable trying to fight invisible enemies in a sea of carbuncles because some magical programming feat has made it so that as long as your OS hasn't crashed, you can see carbuncle.  I hope that the ps4 can put out a version that's closer to what high-end PC owners get to experience.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1634 on: December 03, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »

There are minimal issues with using a controller to play this game.  I play on PC, and use a gamepad about 98% of the time.  The other 2% is equipment navigation (just faster to look at stuff with a mouse), some occasional "no target THAT one," and marking targets back in lower level content when I thought the game was going to be hard enough to warrant marking targets.  It might take some target filter editing / new muscle memory learning, but I think you too could be 98% content with a controller.  Oh and be prepared to press the l2 / r2 triggers... a lot... I mean for almost the entire duration of your playtime.

I would expect at least a usb keyboard would be helpful if you ever want to be friendly with anyone.

The bigger concern is that a ps3 really isn't nearly strong enough to be running the game as it's intended to be played.  It's one of the best looking MMORPGs out currently, and you would be playing on a machine that can't even promise to load all of your party members on the screen.  I haven't played on ps3, but I played on a lower-end (stronger than ps3) PC for awhile.  It is miserable trying to fight invisible enemies in a sea of carbuncles because some magical programming feat has made it so that as long as your OS hasn't crashed, you can see carbuncle.  I hope that the ps4 can put out a version that's closer to what high-end PC owners get to experience.

Thanks, that was really helpful, and more or less what I was looking for. I'll probably spend the $10 on it.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 125 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: