Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 09:44:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319735 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 126 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 88874 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1785 on: January 26, 2014, 06:22:50 AM »

I used to offer myself as the sacrifical lamb to eat 2-3 bombs for ultima. At 8400 hp, i can pop thrill of battle and take 2 or even 3 if I use second wind while running to the second bomb and I get a lucky crit. If I did that while the other 6 players ate the other 2, it'd usually be fairly easy. However, everytime we tried it, the group would go to slow or eat second bomb on the tether resulting in a 5th explosion (they'd die first).

Be careful with the tank LB method though, OBVIOUSLY it wasn't intended to be the strategy of choice because SE said that all battles do not require the use of the LB, so it should be nerfed because it's unfair and etc etc. Just like turn 2 enrage strat, rawr.

Seriously, idk who the hell thought that the enrage strat for ADS turn 2 was unfair, but they should get fucked. Goddamn elitist swine who can't fathom people breaking the normal strategy and trying ideas. Drives me nuts.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1786 on: January 26, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »

Had a terrible day in-game today, here's my story copied straight from my blog:

One of these days I'm going to be able to post positive things on this blog, but today is not one of those days. I have had it with bad tanks. I don't even think that it's "always the tank's fault," but today I have proof that I was a victim of constant bad tanks.

I've finally got my non-magic dps jobs over the level for Brayflox's Longstop, but I decided to go back a few times because I never got the Infantry Skirt.

Every single tank I have gotten today has been unable to keep aggro or survive fighting more than one enemy at a time. And proof that it wasn't anyone else's fault?

On one occasion, the tank got "frustrated with us" and left. The rest of us then made our way from the second to the third boss without a single incident. We actually performed better WITHOUT a tank than with a bad tank.

On another, we barely make our way to Aiatar, and after the first wipe we tell him to make sure he's out of the poison pools and the green buff is off of Aiatar. Can't seem to grasp this because he can't hold aggro from Aiatar. I once pulled aggro off of him, then tried to rectify this by running around without attacking. 90 seconds later and I still had aggro. After the tank dies (and for some reason instantly goes back to start) the healer and I managed to get down another 20% of the dragon's health with just the two of us.

Un-be-lievable! And I certainly don't want to bother one of the good tanks I know busy with endgame content to sacrifice their time just to satiate my vain desires.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: January 26, 2014, 08:25:23 PM »

This is why I'm worried about tanking with pugs: I don't want to be one of those terrible ones that has no idea they're fucking up that bad. I have WAR at 35 as I type this, and it's been a lot of fun to play. I haven't tanked yet via roulette, since I've been doing a lot of dungeons for an FC member who's still playing through story, but I'd like to for all that bonus EXP. It's always for tanks.

(And as a bonus, I have a nice bunch of gear so far for when WAR hits 50.)

The way I see it, tank LB exists as a totally valid utility and when are you going to use it otherwise? I've literally never seen a tank LB before beating Ultima. Can't comment on T2 enrage strat, I've never seen it. Though apparently I'm supposed to prefer it since that turn is really rough on melee.

So excited for Leviathan. =P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1788 on: January 26, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »

Melee in turn 2 make for a very difficult allagan rot rotation. Couple that with the lovely lag issues making rot detonate early and the turn 2 strat is far more viable and with less bullshit fuck ups. Plus, 3 healers makes it incredibly safe whereas 5 dps make it much faster.

The thing about the tank LB is that the buff is really short, usually only lasting long enough for 2 attacks. In most situations, to use the tank LB is just delaying the inevitable wipe you think you might be preventing. Plus, more often than not, tanks regular cooldowns are as good as the LB anyway and last way longer. A good melee dps LB will usually drop a boss' health by something like 10-15% at level 2, which speeds up a fight way better. The healer LB is another incredibly situational one just because it usually gets the healer using it killed and leaves most of the people who revived dying again due to terrible positioning (garuda tornados, anyone). Dps lbs are the most useful because if something's dead, it can't kill you.

As for bad tanking,alot of the problem now comes from dfr players who are significantly overgeared getting into runs with newb tanks who haven't gotten into the habif of getting hate over doing damage. Tanks are not DD, same as healers are not DD, they need to focus their roles and not get in over their heads. Only time I'd lose hate is when jackass archers and bards went AoE crazy with raging strikes AND blood for blood up,in which case it's deserved. Kyuusei, if you wanna be an impressive war, open up on groups with berserk and overpower spam til berserk wears off or you're under 400 tp, then flash til pacification wears off, and stick to comboing each target while flashing when MP is available. Don't just attack the main enemy, switch constantly. Should be Butcher's Blocking the main enemy and hitting the other enemies with skull sunder. Do that with consistency and you'll walk away with plenty of commendations on war.

TASTY!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1789 on: January 26, 2014, 11:22:05 PM »

Klutz, I've had basically the same experiences as you in Brayflox. I remember once I had to end up booting a tank from Brayflox because he wouldn't take things out of the pools and just took every breath. Wouldn't even respond to us talking to him, so I don't know if he just couldn't speak English. Honestly though, the screen flashes "take him out of the damn pools" in giant letters so most of the time it's not even about hating people who are bad at video games, it's about hating people who are apparently totally illiterate/lack basic common sense.

Tanks are almost always the most self-entitled people in the DF because they can get instant requeues. Just the other day D and I were able to fight through all the trash in Stone Vigil because the tank left instantly. Couldn't beat the boss, but thankfully right then a tank showed up. This is also largely the fault of SE and their inability to design a system that works- they keep trying to do stupid "soft" solutions to interpersonal problems. They should just remove the time limit on party booting altogether, because the odds of an entire party abusing the system is still lower than a single person queueing just to annoy everyone else. Of course, the braindead fanboys on the official forums will poison the devs mind with thinking the opposite is true, because people complaining will always be louder than people who are satisfied.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:26:23 PM by Hathen » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1790 on: January 27, 2014, 06:37:52 AM »

You forgot the part about us being fucking amazing.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: January 28, 2014, 01:13:32 AM »

Seriously, idk who the hell thought that the enrage strat for ADS turn 2 was unfair, but they should get fucked. Goddamn elitist swine who can't fathom people breaking the normal strategy and trying ideas. Drives me nuts.

Because it's an exploit. You avoid every single mechanic the fight entails by forcing the enrage timer, which means the fight is a total tank and spank. That's not thinking outside the box, that's taking advantage of a mechanic that's designed to quickly wipe a standard 2 healer party. While Allagan Rot sucks to deal with as a melee, it can and has been done. Turn 2 is designed around picking your own poison based on the path you take. It has nothing to do with being elitist - it has everything to do with doing the fight as its intended. There is nothing legitimate or skillful about spam healing through the enrage. Obviously SE couldn't care less about people abusing it, or it would have been fixed by now. Personally I think people who use it are doing themselves a disservice because learning to do Turn 2 legitimately builds skills that are necessary to succeed in the other Turns.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: January 28, 2014, 01:22:07 AM »

Recruitment is up!

Tired of dealing with the zerg FC mentality where the average member still hasn't taken their FCAT or their meds? Are the point systems and attendance grind of so-called elite FCs wearing you down? Would you like to experience endgame at a pace that doesn't require a divorce or foster-care? Perhaps its time for something different.

Solaris, A Free Company of Hyperion, is opening its doors to players interested in endgame as well as a select few for one of our established Binding Coil teams. Our online community was established in 2003 and has had a presence in FFXI, World of Warcraft, Aion, TERA and FFXIV 1.0. We've done the casual, we've done the hardcore. We aim for something more personal and productive, without the drama. Our organization is a friend-and-family based Free Company that has an understanding and respect for players' lives outside the game. However, we still push content as hard and as often as each person is willing. Here's a little more about our content achievements:

Primals

Binding Coil of Bahamut

These are some of the other benefits of joining our Free Company:

Rank 8
Tier II Buffs Daily (Teleport Discount II is always active)

Housing
Large, First Class Plot planned. Location TBD. Weekly Group Activities for Fundraising Ongoing.

Crafting
Several master craftsmen available for all your synthesis needs.

Activities
Daily Endgame via HM & EX Primals, CT, Coil, HM Dungeons.

Interaction
25 User Ventrilo with guest access for friends.

Social Media
FC Website, Facebook Group, Twitter and Youtube Channel. *Twitch coming soon*

If we've peaked your interest, please visit our Recruitment Page.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1793 on: January 28, 2014, 01:41:33 AM »

I LOLed so hard at the last image.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1794 on: January 28, 2014, 03:00:10 AM »

@Tenchi

If SE wanted to, the enrage could be a deathmove. Plenty of bosses have it, and it does its job perfectly. If SE has the boss set this way, I don't see why it should be considered unfair to use. I find it more unfair that a mechanic that's almost entirely based on having people with perfect internet connections in order to safely handle it is expected to be acceptable. They give no access to voice chat, we have to use our own versions, and no real ability to properly sync maneuvers well in group without, nor enough time to adjust to it with a lack of immediate communication. What I find is more unreasonable is how you can have a mechanic that is completely unrecoverable from. Same deal with being kicked off titan's platform, one of your tanks dying during garuda's tornado/adds phases in extreme, losing a tank in turn 4...I mean it's unfair to have such mechanics where you can't recover at all. So yeah, the enrage method....it's pretty obvious that it's not meant to outright kill you, otherwise it would.

In other news, fucking epic lag tonight fighting titan ex. I ran behind him for a tank swap, and he landslided after I got into tanking position and started comboing. Mid butcher's block,I find myself flying out of the ring and my party asking how I managed to teleport to the front and fly through the arena and out. Good stuff SE.

TASTY!
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1795 on: January 28, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »

To narrow it down, "We are looking for Elitist's". Should be cake....

Recruitment is up!

Tired of dealing with the zerg FC mentality where the average member still hasn't taken their FCAT or their meds? Are the point systems and attendance grind of so-called elite FCs wearing you down? Would you like to experience endgame at a pace that doesn't require a divorce or foster-care? Perhaps its time for something different.

Solaris, A Free Company of Hyperion, is opening its doors to players interested in endgame as well as a select few for one of our established Binding Coil teams. Our online community was established in 2003 and has had a presence in FFXI, World of Warcraft, Aion, TERA and FFXIV 1.0. We've done the casual, we've done the hardcore. We aim for something more personal and productive, without the drama. Our organization is a friend-and-family based Free Company that has an understanding and respect for players' lives outside the game. However, we still push content as hard and as often as each person is willing. Here's a little more about our content achievements:

Primals

Binding Coil of Bahamut

These are some of the other benefits of joining our Free Company:

Rank 8
Tier II Buffs Daily (Teleport Discount II is always active)

Housing
Large, First Class Plot planned. Location TBD. Weekly Group Activities for Fundraising Ongoing.

Crafting
Several master craftsmen available for all your synthesis needs.

Activities
Daily Endgame via HM & EX Primals, CT, Coil, HM Dungeons.

Interaction
25 User Ventrilo with guest access for friends.

Social Media
FC Website, Facebook Group, Twitter and Youtube Channel. *Twitch coming soon*

If we've peaked your interest, please visit our Recruitment Page.

doh
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: January 28, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »

I have fallen off a landslide when on the opposite side of Titan. I don't know if that's epic lag or what, but there's many times I think I'm out of something, even way out, and I still get hit.

Back to coil, I wonder how much they'll need to nerf it for it to be even doable via duty finder. I guess for passing Allagan rot you can always mark players in order, it just feels like you need a lot of communication in coil that text chat can't really provide. Also Twintania is frightening.

I loled at the extreme primals image.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1797 on: January 28, 2014, 10:26:16 AM »

To narrow it down, "We are looking for Elitist's". Should be cake....

I'm not in Solaris, and would consider myself much less hardcore than any of them, but they are not at all elitists. They're friendly and very welcoming to players who don't play as much, and Tenchi's post said as much too. They've frequently helped me and my free company with stuff for no reason other than to help us enjoy the game. They're just saying that they push content hard so people can actually get it done.

Also LIZ I BET TWINTANIA IS FRIGHTENING BUT I WOULDN'T KNOW BECAUSE YOU ABANDONED ME

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: January 28, 2014, 11:02:03 AM »

I will second all of what Taelus said about Solaris. They're very dedicated players, but you can be into endgame and helpful/welcoming to others at the same time. They helped us and showed us a lot, from the last few story dungens, relic quest stuff (especially since we didn't have enough for a full party to begin with) and most recently, coil.

Steb.... we will do coil. And we'll get you a coat better than that CT one. ;)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1799 on: January 28, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »

I find Solaris to be helpful to a fault, at least during the little time I spent in the group. The attitude that was coming across to me is "Our skilled players will help unskilled players get the stuff they need." I appreciated teh sentiment, but I left because I felt if I stayed I'd end up having the game spoon-fed to me. This is of course just a personal problem, as Solaris aren't the type of people that would force help on anyone. But I know if someone offered me help, I'd feel like I was being rude to decline it. So instead I chose to join a small group of folks with the same skill level as me to work with and develop our skills together.

In the end, I think it's hard to be hardcore without being a little bit elitist, depending on your definition of either term.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 126 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: