Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 1008519 times)

Alisha

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« Reply #2070 on: October 28, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »
and it drops weapons!

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Datastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: November 08, 2015, 06:00:13 AM »
Hmm, not much for the content only players, they'll be done in a few days...
doh

kyuusei

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: November 09, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »

big content patch tomarrow. do you enjoy trolling?

Datastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: January 02, 2016, 02:42:36 PM »

I know, truth hurts sometimes...
doh

dagas

• View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: January 14, 2016, 02:32:05 AM »
I know the RPG fan editors are fans of FF14 but I never imagined it would win best story. I've only played the free trial but it seemed like generic MMO story to me. Nowhere near SWTOR and not even on par with Guild Wars 2 which have at least some spoken dialog and dialog choices. And I don't think SWTOR is as good as a single player RPG so how can this that seemed much worse be so good? Does the story really take off later? Or is it just FF14 fanboyism?

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: January 14, 2016, 02:54:09 AM »
I'm actually interested in reading some more detailed thoughts about the Heavensward story as well, though I suspect it'd be hard for you guys to do so without tons of spoilers. I do plan on playing Heavensward, eventually...backlog's killing me and I'm too busy screwing around with XI for the 10th time, heh.

Personally, I think some of FFXI's expansions had a better story than a lot of the JRPGs that came out alongside them so I certainly wouldn't rule out FFXIV doing the same simply due to being an MMO. I have heard quite a few players praising the Heavensward story.

I can only speak of the ARR story myself (which is what you played in the free trial)- I didn't care much for it at all. It was several repetitions of "Go fight this Primal" interrupted by laughably forced fetch quests and oftentimes intrusive fanservice. Though I will say that much like XI, XIV's far better at presentation/polish with their story, especially in cutscenes, than many other contemporary MMOs are.

I imagine Heavensward is quite different from ARR because it's the first "true" original thing Yoshida's team has been allowed to do, story-wise. Up until now they have kind of been tethered down by what was established in the original FFXIV. Reading how Mike Salbato describes it makes it sound like they got rid of a lot of things that annoyed me about the ARR story.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: January 14, 2016, 03:32:02 AM »
Here is the thing about ARR story,  2.0 had to be long and drawn out fetch quest based MMO story because it had to fill 50 levels worth of content and had to set up the rest of the story. It was also incredibly rushed and if you played 1.0, it had nothing on 1.0 story.  2.1 and beyond was absolutely fantastic including the ending of ARR at 2.55.  The end of 2.55 is some strait up Game of Thrones shit(the cutscene is a an hour and half long) and the one thing I cared more about for Heavensward then anything else was to see how the end of 2.55 would be resolved.  The 2.1-3.1 story is the best story a Final Fantasy game has put out in the last 15+ years.

Like I play a lot of MMOs, FFXI, GW2, Wildstar, WoW(although not much anymore) and about to start up Blade and Soul and Black Desert when it gets here, and to be honest a lot of games do content better or equal to FF14, but I would stay subed to FF14 to the end of time if they keep giving me new story every 3 months which they have and plan on doing till the game has run it's course.  It's that good.

If you want to see the end of the 2.55 cutscene I talked about you can view it here but there are huge spoilers for ARR and the beginning of Hevensward here so you have been warned - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GJ48MVmcSE

I suggest if you want to get to where the action starts it's at the 19 minute mark.  But like I said big spoilers, and this was just the start.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:47:30 AM by ScottC »

Dalamud_Descends

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: February 03, 2016, 11:43:16 AM »
Hey everyone!  First time writing!

I agree with Scott's assessment of the story of 2.0.  The fetch quests were a necessary evil to get you to level 50.  After that, the story really does pick up (granted that is still a significant bit of time to invest).  I have one concern about the story and that is that they will have too many open story branches that never get resolved.  Without getting in to spoilers, the writers have so many plates spinning as far as the story goes that it will take a fair bit of time and effort to give each of them their necessary screen time.  Thoughts?

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: February 12, 2016, 10:29:31 AM »

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: February 12, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
You'd think that'd be the best part.

But then Emmanellain got punched in the face.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: February 12, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
my body is ready

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZET2yYZLN8

Ya know whats funny, I wrote the news article for the trailer last night (it'll prob go up today) and in the subheadline I put my body was not ready for this. :P

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: February 12, 2016, 09:36:05 PM »
You'd think that'd be the best part.

But then Emmanellain got punched in the face.

Amen. Only thing that could top that would be the WoL punching him in the face. Call me "old girl" one more time, I dare you!

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: February 16, 2016, 10:51:03 PM »
Never have to do A4S again good riddance to a boring fight.

Datastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: March 10, 2016, 03:54:23 AM »

Yes
doh