Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 04:00:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337722 Posts in 13829 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I need a Shadow Hearts game....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I need a Shadow Hearts game....  (Read 2370 times)
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:52:47 PM »

I guess when these games were coming out they were just one of those series that I didn't know anything about so I decided to skip them. Little did I know that they seem super interesting especially the second game in the series. Out of all the RPG series' out there I don't own any Shadow Hearts games and since I have recently been buying games belonging to series I don't have (Witcher, Eternal Sonata, Shin Megami Tensei, Mass Effect) The Shadow Hearts games especially peaked my interest. I've read that the first two games pretty much follow each other while the third game (From The New World) is like a stand alone title. I've also read different opinions on weather or not to play the first game before the second, or to just go for it and play the second game. Because of this I was going to get From The New World even though it interested me the least out of the three of them. The one I really want is Shadow Hearts Covenant and no, I can't get all three at this point only one. So can I get this one and still know what the heck is going on? Also unrelated side question which game should I go for to buy online  Suikoden II (The only one I don't have) or Xenoblade Chronicles (Had but than sold it without even playing it once)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:56:47 PM »

Why don't we just rename the forums the LINK398 helpline.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Evenbillybob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »

Also unrelated side question which game should I go for to buy online  Suikoden II (The only one I don't have) or Xenoblade Chronicles (Had but than sold it without even playing it once)

Never played Suikoden II, but Xenoblade Chronicles is a great game, tons of sidequest and a lot of exploration. Although the story takes a nosedive halfway through (thats what I think anyway.) But if it's a long, long game you want, then you can't go wrong with Xenoblade Chronicles.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »

Play them in order. All of them are fantastic and have their own strengths. Plot threads are resolved in each game but carry on based on things in the previous titles.

SH1 is still an outstanding turn-based RPG with dynamite atmosphere and music. SH:C is one of the best games ever made for like 50 reasons. SH3 is weaker if only because it's an entirely new and unrelated cast, but still has great combat, side-quests, writing, and a more wacky and out-there (but still good) story.

Also what Starmongoose said.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »

Why are you trying to track down copies of Shadow Hearts, Xenoblade, and Suikoden II when you are unemployed and have to return games shortly after buying them? Or has your situation changed?

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »

Why are you trying to track down copies of Shadow Hearts, Xenoblade, and Suikoden II when you are unemployed and have to return games shortly after buying them? Or has your situation changed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT17W8CmX4g

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »

This is one of my favorite game series'. It's just SO different than anything else out there. At least for it's time. I got the first 2 games for my birthday last year and started up the first one again for the first time in like 9 years. And to this day, is still a fun, dark, great game. It seems a little slow at first, but the story gets good pretty fast. And the translation, though silly at times, still holds up too! I found myself laughing at some of the perverted jokes Yuri makes. :)

The second game improves on just about everything, but it's worth playing the first one so Covenant will mean that much more.

pigTails of...
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »

To put something related on your radar, play Koudelka (PS1) at some point since it spun off into this series.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:56:47 PM »

Situation changed....and also I was surprised to see Midway as the publishers of the Shadow Hearts series of games
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »

His unemployment check came in!
Sharecrow

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41:45 PM »

Shadow Hearts 2 is amazing, but I'd encourage you to play 1 before 2 (which is also an outstanding game).  I haven't finished 3 yet, but, seriously, these are among my favorite games of all time.  Play them in order.  It's worth it.  My two cents....
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 12:35:56 AM »

I got interested in this series last month after hearing a long podcast with Jeremy Blaustein about the localization of Metal Gear Solid for PSone and there he mentioned that he really liked Shadow Hearts: Covenant (which he worked on).

After finishing the podcast I went and read a bit about the series and the development of Koudelka, all I have to say is after that is kinda astonishing to me how this series didn't got as noise as other stuff from the PS2 era.

Also between reading stuff about the games I got these two themes stuck in my head:

Town of Twilight (Europe Town)
The Fate (Spider Lily)

That said, I think I'll never have a chance to play any of these games unless they appear on PSN one day.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »

Situation changed....and also I was surprised to see Midway as the publishers of the Shadow Hearts series of games

I used to be shocked that they did such a good localization, then I learned all they did was publish them.

Still, they had great taste.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »

Start with the first Shadow Hearts game. You'd be missing out on a lot by skipping it and starting with Covenant.

Also, I know I'm in the minority, but I think the first game is the better one.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 02:08:11 PM »

Minority isn't even the word. I think this would be a rare instance where asking "Am I the only one...?" Would be a legitimate question.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: