Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 05:02:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329705 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Alright peeps, lets try: Top 10 Favorite Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Alright peeps, lets try: Top 10 Favorite Games  (Read 3980 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 03:00:13 AM »

In trying to come up with a list of favorite games, I was trying to think of something that would be /stable/. That is, a list that I wouldn't look at in five years and be all "Oh god what" at.

If I made a favorite videogame list ten years ago, it would've definitely had Chrono Trigger and Legend of Mana on it. SMT:N wouldn't be on it, because it wasn't out in the states yet, and Riven wouldn't be on it because I wouldn't have played that for another year at that point.

Civilization 2 would've been on it, because at that point I was still not overly fond of Alpha Centauri and neither Civ 4 nor EU3 were out yet, and I think both of those outdo Civ 2 quite handily.

FFVIII probably would've been on it. FFVIII was my favorite FF at that point, and I didn't like FFIX much because of the art style and skill system (Let's ignore FFIX and LoM having fairly similar art styles for a second. Let's ignore me being completely stonefuck retarded back in 2003. Let's pray to god my posts here under whatever nick I had then are gone).

I don't think I'd have any FPSes on the list. I was playing UT and Q3 a lot at the time, but they were never QUITE favorite quality for me. Deus Ex might've been a possibility. Half-Life... I liked Half-Life more then but something was still rubbing me the wrong way about it.

I hadn't gotten into Ultima 7 at that point, because Exult was still quite immature, and Dosbox was... still quite immature. U7 STILL doesn't emulate that well, and it's a pain in the ass to get working natively.

Oh. I did think Daggerfall was /great/ back then. Ahahahaha dear lord.

Think there's a fair chance some of Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Creatures 2, Darius Gaiden, or R-Type would've made the list.

FFL2 and Earthbound have been games that have always really stuck with me, though.

I cared a hell of a lot more about story and concept back then. Interesting ideas could win me over more than execution. Most of the time even. Sometimes that STILL happens but not nearly as much and it has to be a damn interesting concept to do it.

Also used to be a lot more offput by linearity in games for whatever reason. LIke, really tried to avoid level-based stuff in favor of more open-world games.

I think my issue with CT in particular is that it's a specific combination of short, linear, and easy. Hard to replay without it feeling like you're just going through the motions.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:04:26 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »

In no particular order beyond order I think of them(except for number 1 which is my declared favorite game I have played):

1. Ar Tonelico- I don't know why I love this game so much, but I do. I think the diving into the Reyvateils is a big portion of it because I love how much you get to delve into their pshyches. I love it all around though and at the moment there are only two games which I could conceivably see knocking it out of number one, either Project Eternity or Torment: Tides of Numeria (Torment having the better chance from what I know at the moment of both). Ar Tonelico 2 and 3 were both good, but neither of them is really good enough on their own to make my top 10.

2. Mana Khemia- Another GUST RPG that I love. They really are one of my favorite developers.

3. Kingdom Hearts II- This to me is what an action RPG should be. I love the gameplay. I love the characters. Just a great game all around. I was considering putting Birth By Sleep in as well, but I feel like that would be a little too repetitive.

4. Persona 4- Excellent game....I don't think anything else really needs to be said about it.

5. Radiant Historia- Best DS game ever. I love the way the time travel works. I love the characters. I love the insane number of bad ends. I love how the game basically expects you to mess everything up multiple times....and that is perfectly alright and fits with the story.

6. Arc the Lad 2- I considered putting Arc the Lad Collection, but the shining gem really is 2. I did love 1, but 3 is only sort of meh to me. Great series (as long as we pretend it only went for three games) that really deserves more love than it gets.

7. Tales of Symphonia- I love the "Tales of" series and choosing my favorite was difficult. I love Phatasia, Eternia, Symphonia, and the Abyss. Looking at all them though, I think I have to say that Symphonia is my favorite.

8. Xenogears- Dear god how did I only think of this one now? It is a classic that I shall forever mourn because it was not completed. It has so much wasted potential and yet it is still one of my favorite games of all time.

9. .hack//G.U. series- Yeah it is three games, but I don't care. They are a continuous story with only minor mechanical tweaks between them. I love the .hack universe and these three games are the best of it.

10. Growlanser 2- I know this something akin to the blacksheep of the Growlanser series, but of the 5 games in the series that I have played, this is my favorite even above 4. Once again, I'm not even sure why. I just know that it is.

Honorable Mentions: Valkyria Chronicles, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Breath of Fire, Xenoblade, Odin Sphere, Suikoden V, and Fire Emblem Awakening

Interesting that my list nearly boils down to my top 10 game series.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 03:58:48 AM »

in no specific order

Valkjyrie profile series
i originally bought the first game because an ad said it was created by the creators of star ocean so in a somewhat contrarian move i bought this over chrono cross. notable for being the first media i consumed with what i would call badass female characters.(ex.Pre seal break lenneth,Aelia,VP2/cotp Hrist/freya/Fiona-cotp

Shining Force 2
this was my first srpg and i absolutely loved it. when i was little i played action figures with my brothers and for me this was very much a similar activity(note:i played 2 before 1)

super robot taisen original generation 2
srpg perection

Tactics Ogre let us cling together
final fantasy tactics hath been dethroned. this game is superior in every way.

skies of arcadia legends
explioration done right

Phantasy star online
while im hesitant to put this here it deserves mention for the amount of hours i put into it

Phantasy star 4

Shadow hearts 2

megaman network transmission-gamecube

megaman X4

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »

This is hard and mainly based on how much I enjoyed it instead of a technical analysis of each game. In no particular order.

1. Pokemon Yellow - I was around 8 years old when Pokemon came over to America and made it big. After all of my friends started playing Pokemon, I begged my dad to buy me a Game Boy Color and Pokemon Yellow. I played the living shit out of this game. After that, the rest is history, where I have played a Pokemon game through each generation so far.

2. Super Smash Bros. - I was 9 when this came out and I played this game all the time with my cousins. We would usually stay up to 2-3 am on the weekends playing this.

3. NCAA Football 2004 - Why this one and this year? It's the only one I have. Although the game is ten fucking years old now, it's still playable. There's no point in buying the same game every year just for updated rosters.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance -  Yes, the story is absolute garbage, but I spent so much time playing this game during middle school. The battle system is much more balanced compared to the original, which made playing it a delight.

5. Tales of Symphonia - The Game Cube was the only console system I had at the time. I spent hundreds of hours playing ToS over and over again. It was the first time I played an action RPG and I've become a huge Tales fan since.

6. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 - This was my introduction to the SMT series and the game was perfect for me. I love hiphop, so I'm probably one of the few people here who loves P3's OST. While on paper the two halves of P3 sound like utter balls, combined together they are awesome. Who knew a dungeon crawler and dating sim would be so addictive?

7. Super Robot Taisen Z2 (the first Z2) - This is the first Japanese SRT game I had played and I enjoyed it. Though my Japanese wasn't good enough to understand everything, I enjoyed seeing a lot of my favorite anime worlds combining. This game was also easier than the OG games that came to the US, making this one more accessible to me.

8. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Again, I didn't have many games worth shit to play on the Game Cube. However, this was the second FE game I played and I really enjoyed playing it over and over again.

9. Final Fantasy XII -  My first console FF game and I enjoyed it, unlike most people. I liked how it was devoid of many of the typical JRPG tropes and I actually liked the battle system of the game. I remember rushing home from school just to play this game.

10. Disgaea - I first bought Disgaea in 2008 after finally finding a copy for a reasonable price after Atlus made more copies. I played the first three back-to-back-to-back that summer and really enjoyed the games.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 10:23:43 PM »

Okay so this thread's giving me a minor existential crisis about what i would even consider a favorite game. In terms of criteria.

So then I took the approach I take to music: My favorite albums are the ones I can listen to a hell of a lot without getting sick of, which garner a strong emotional response from me, and which ALWAYS get the same emotional response.

So, in that sense, which games could I play /the most/ repeatedly, without getting sick of them or without them losing their effect?

And that's going to be a different list than the one I first posted. Because, for instance, as much as I find Unreal and Riven exemplary, they do kind of lose their effect over multiple playthroughs because, and especially with Riven, a lot of the magic is based on not knowing what you're doing. Or even something like Super Metroid (or most metroidvanias, really).

This is the same reason why I'm omitting certain popular RPGs like Chrono Trigger. Because the things I find in CT that make it stand out so much are also the things that, to me, weaken it on future playthroughs -- a lot of the game relies on its surprisal factor. Doing the unexpected. Stepping away from RPG norms. Once you're used to them -- once you're expecting what once was unexpected -- it's not the same.

Also feel like the same might apply to FFIX, to an extent. So while that's my favorite FF game, I don't think it'd be as robust to endless playing as, say, FFV would, since FFV allows for a lot more experimentation (although it loses out on the gestalt factor).

And I should note that it's not, for me, just an issue of replayability -- I barely even finish games the first time anyway. Rather, it's more a case of, can I experiment with new gameplay mechanics or new approaches as I go along? Once I am good at the game -- once I know HOW to win -- is it still going to be fun to pull off that execution?

List will have to be forthcoming as I think this out, but I can definitely say that SMT:N and SimCity 4 would still be on it.

--- edit ---

I think any game I boot up to just to wander around unproductively in is probably going to make this list.

Actual list, in no real order.

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - This game changed how I thought about traditional JRPGs. Genuinely hard to the point where mastery of the system becomes this joyous, enlightening moment. Tons of room to experiment. A sense of creativity in coming up with your demon/main character/party builds. A branching story. A battle system that, in retrospect, is so stupidly simple that it hits a rare level of elegance and becomes brilliant and makes you wonder why nobody ever thought of it before. Creative dungeons, and a general world sense that makes the environment a joy to walk through, even when it's trying to murder you.

2. Earthbound - This is one of those games that, for me, it's worth it just to walk through. I think the developers knew this, too, given how the ending works.

3. Ultima 7 -

4. SimCity 4 - The only limit to this game is your own creativity. Yeah, the game requires a bit more micromanagement, but the tradeoff is the level of customization -- control -- you have in building your city. You can grow some really unique character. You can always experiment with new street layouts. And the atmosphere is probably the best out of the entire series. Stupid terrain glitches aside, it's... easy to imagine living in your creations.

Runner's Up:
Chrono Cross
Terranigma
Tales of Symphonia
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:27:59 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »

1. FFVI
2. Okami
3. Shadowrun(both versions)
4. Front Mission 3
5. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
6. KOTOR
7. FFVIII
8. Legacy of Kain: Soulreaver
9. Ogre Battle 64
10. Vagrant Story

These are the first ones that came to mind.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 11:38:53 PM »

I've been struggling w/ this and the only thing I can say with certainty is that Star Control 2 is my favorite game.

The rest always change and there's 100s of games I'd love to play that would compete for the other 9 spots.

Other solids for my top ten. shadow of the colossus, tie fighter, mechwarrior 2, and super mario world

OH. #2 is Demon's Souls for sure.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:48:13 PM by Yoda » Logged
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »

I slapped together my list pretty quickly.  5-10 minutes to come up with the games.  5-10 minutes for the first 6 or 7 haikus.  Then probably 20+ minutes for the last 3 or 4 haikus.  I had an empty window sitting there while I ate dinner for a little while. 

If someone made another topic like it today, my list would be different.  I'm fickle like that.  Right now I'm not sure if I should have put a Pokemon game on, whether I put down the right Zelda game, whether it was too soon to count Persona 4 (played it for the first time in January), whether I should've had SD3 or ToP over SoA or Disgaea, whether it was a dumb move to have two FF games on there or not, or what have you.  I have played a lot of games, and second-guessing for a list of favorites like this isn't worth it. 

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2013, 09:28:47 AM »

I've numbered my list from memory, then checked how I wrote it down in my Document O' Games and saw I had a different order. Doesn't matter, here it is:

1. Flower
2. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
6. Vagrant Story
7. SaGa Frontier 2
8. Final Fantasy XII
9. Cave Story
10.  The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

All sorts of honorable mentions: Mega Man 2, Mega Man X, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Planescape: Torment, Zone of Enders: 2nd Runner, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VII, Earthbound, oh could I go on....
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 07:46:01 AM »

Huh I just realized I forgot Ocarina of Time which really is up there. I can't decide which one I should remove. I guess I'll remove Mana Khemia and replace it with Ocarina of Time.

I've numbered my list from memory, then checked how I wrote it down in my Document O' Games and saw I had a different order. Doesn't matter, here it is:

1. Flower
2. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
6. Vagrant Story
7. SaGa Frontier 2
8. Final Fantasy XII
9. Cave Story
10.  The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

All sorts of honorable mentions: Mega Man 2, Mega Man X, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Planescape: Torment, Zone of Enders: 2nd Runner, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VII, Earthbound, oh could I go on....
Really? Dragon Quarter is your second favorite game of all time?.....That one is probably on my top 10 hated games list. >.> I guess different tastes? *shrug*
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2013, 08:19:22 AM »

How many of us actually listed them in order of least or most favourite? I know I didn't.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »

How many of us actually listed them in order of least or most favourite? I know I didn't.

Don't think I could possibly even try to.

Dragon Quarter was awesome.  I do think it's important to let go of the other titles in the series as basis for comparison; but I thought Capcom made a risk and I think it paid off.

But it's definitely one of those titles that if you loved it, you reallllyy loved it; and if you hated it, ....well....

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 03:35:41 PM »

In order of most preferred/most repeated playthroughs.

Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Megaman X
Super Mario World
Super Mario Brothers 3
Xenosaga 3
Megaman Legends
Dragon's Dogma
Saga Frontier

Any of those 10 games I can pick up and play again from any point in game and know where I am, where to go, and have some level of fun. I have a large number of other games I can add to this list in regards to picking up and playing again, but these are the top 10.

TASTY!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2013, 07:44:44 AM »

Dragon Quarter was awesome.  I do think it's important to let go of the other titles in the series as basis for comparison; but I thought Capcom made a risk and I think it paid off.

But it's definitely one of those titles that if you loved it, you reallllyy loved it; and if you hated it, ....well....

For me, it is a mediocre to poor quality game if I ignore the other games in the series. I just did not care one bit about anything in that game. Comparing it to the rest of the series is what drives it to being one of my most hated games of all time.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 02:13:19 AM »

See, I found nothing remotely redeeming about BoF1 or 2. Well, BoF1 had good music. That's about it.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: