Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:58:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334711 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The lost art of Final Fantasy IX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: The lost art of Final Fantasy IX  (Read 6565 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »

^ Kudos to the FF9 demake for changing the gamestyle; but generally yeah...since GBC games can't handle much, their games are best left to simple designs.  A GBA or DS sort of demake would be a bit more interesting and certainly let them be more flexible.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 02:55:23 AM »

Modern Games get Demakes -- Source: Pxlbyte
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:28:24 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »

Man though wrt the soul food comment, I think that makes sense for a lot of people, but for me, when I was actually into the OLD FF games, I didn't like FFIX, and by the time I LIKED FFIX, I'd really lost interest in older, traditional fantasy jarpegs.

---edit---

So maybe another way of looking at it is this: Stylistically, for me, it's not so much a return to a cherished style from a bygone era, but rather RPG classicism informed by modern sensibilities. Actively working within a set style while moving away from some of the execution-related problems that hampered the full exploitation of that style's potential.

Actually maybe that kid of mindset is what's driving demakes, too. If you think of them less as minimalist re-interpretations and more as remakes of games that never existed...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:45:42 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2013, 12:36:59 AM »

jarpegs.

Thread, you had one job. You have performed it admirably.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »

New Final Fantasy IX side quest discovered -- Source: Gematsu

"A new Final Fantasy IX side quest has been discovered, thirteen years after the game's release."
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vYMDCuS_lA

Yup. And here's the video.

EDIT: SEE YGGS POST

Man, can't blame anyone for missing this -- it's really, really damn obscure.  Even if you DID catch the first sequence, you have to keep coming back (if I read it right) after EACH major boss/event the game throws at you (and really no real understandable task to do, and it just kinda ...ends).  I call this bragging rights for sure, but hot damn... what a cool find.  I'm kinda surprised no one saw the game's code for this either (apparently treasure FAQs don't have it listed either).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:41:48 PM by Dice » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 02:20:43 PM »

...the video is also in the link I put. ~_~

Anyway, I seem to remember seeing a similar scene when I was playing the game years ago but I'm not sure.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »

...the video is also in the link I put. ~_~

Anyway, I seem to remember seeing a similar scene when I was playing the game years ago but I'm not sure.

D'oh!  Sorry I hit the Gamefaqs link, read all ten pages and forgot about the video already in the link. D:
Really sorry Yggy; I hate stepping over like that.

But yeah, even if someone SAW the first scene, it can *hardly* expected to make something like 8 return trips at strange intervals.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2013, 02:53:06 PM »

So I went to the FF wiki to see if the Protect Ring was any good and this is what you can find there (link):

"The Protect Ring is an add-on that halves the damage from all elements, as well as providing +1 Spirit, +2 Defense, +4 Evasion, +3 Magic Defense, and +6 Magic Evasion. It teaches the abilities Half MP, Long Reach, and Mag Elm Null, and can either be bought from Mene for 8,500 points, or synthesized for 40,000 gil, Rebirth Ring, and Dark Matter at Hades's Synthesis shop. Others can be acquired by completing the Mognet sidequest, using a Dead Pepper at a mountain crack on the eastern part of the Lost Continent, and by answering all of the Ragtime Mouse's questions correctly."
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2013, 07:01:09 PM »

So I went to the FF wiki to see if the Protect Ring was any good and this is what you can find there (link):

"The Protect Ring is an add-on that halves the damage from all elements, as well as providing +1 Spirit, +2 Defense, +4 Evasion, +3 Magic Defense, and +6 Magic Evasion. It teaches the abilities Half MP, Long Reach, and Mag Elm Null, and can either be bought from Mene for 8,500 points, or synthesized for 40,000 gil, Rebirth Ring, and Dark Matter at Hades's Synthesis shop. Others can be acquired by completing the Mognet sidequest, using a Dead Pepper at a mountain crack on the eastern part of the Lost Continent, and by answering all of the Ragtime Mouse's questions correctly."

To be fair, I only played through the game once back when it first came out and then had my memory card reformatted to make room for a stupid anime fighting game. Despite the occasional attempt, I never actually made it back to disk 4 again due to the game being a boring slog and both of my PSXes being PoSes.

Also I didn't even know that the hideout was accessible given that almost everywhere that isn't the final dungeon, the chocobo sidequest spots, Treno, the Qu marshes, Quina's mentor's place, or the BMV had a severe overgrowth problem.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »

Sweet. On disc 2 now. Have to try it out.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: