Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 03:41:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338465 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Square Enix plans for the future, Doom and Gloom
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Square Enix plans for the future, Doom and Gloom  (Read 3421 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 06:20:51 PM »

Actually, speaking of losing talent. Some GAF person made a giant post about it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57667690&postcount=1

That guy is so stuck in the past and so full of shit it almost hurts.

I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the remake of FF5.

What remake of FFV? The one for iOS or the one that was supposed to be in development for 3DS along with FFVI?

Instead of taking some risks(like a huge, fabulous remake of FF6 for PS4, for example), it seems like they are just giving up.

Keep dreaming.
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »

Oh i'm talking about the iOS version. I'm not saying it's going to be the best thing ever, but I'm sure it'll be fun enough.

...and I know I'm dreaming about a big FF6 remake. But wouldn't it be lovely? :)

pigTails of...
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »

Spending less money and shortening development cycles is the exact thing Square needs to do and has needed to do for a very long time now.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »

Wonder what kind of turnout they're expecting for FFXIV ARR. New subscription-based MMOs really haven't been having a great track record. DCUO and TOR both didn't do too hot. I have no idea how DQX did though.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:06 AM »

Spending less money and shortening development cycles is the exact thing Square needs to do and has needed to do for a very long time now.

Absolutely agreed.  They need to play it safe for a time until they're in a more secure financial position.  I may not enjoy iOS games, but I can understand their decision.

That said, game development is not SE's only money-maker, they publish western games in Japan, as well as manga and anime, and create figurines, collectable card games and VNs (in the "game category, but I can't think of a single VN from SE that has a western release, so...) as well.  They also have merchandising, like soundtrack CDs and concerts.  SE as a brand is much, much larger than their games.

FFXI is also still a solid money-maker for them, even after ~12 years.  That's impressive in itself.  I think if they can get ARR out, and it's decent, they'll have more long-term financial security. After they break even from XIV's disaster, that is.

Edit:
I have no idea how DQX did though.
Wikipedia says:
 It was the tenth best selling game of 2012 in Japan, selling over 609,783 copies. In November 2012, Dragon Quest X exceeded 400,000 subscribers. In its first week on sale, the Wii U version of the game sold 33,302 copies, coming in as the number 6 best selling game of that period.

Which is probably...not too good, considering FFXI was at 500,000 subscibers 8 years after its release (I think it's at 200,000 or so now?)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:07:13 AM by Cyril » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 12:22:04 AM »

Edit:
I have no idea how DQX did though.
Wikipedia says:
 It was the tenth best selling game of 2012 in Japan, selling over 609,783 copies. In November 2012, Dragon Quest X exceeded 400,000 subscribers. In its first week on sale, the Wii U version of the game sold 33,302 copies, coming in as the number 6 best selling game of that period.

Which is probably...not too good, considering FFXI was at 500,000 subscibers 8 years after its release (I think it's at 200,000 or so now?)

Are you comparing apples to oranges, though?  DQX is Japan-only, FFXI is worldwide.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 12:42:08 AM »

True enough.  XI is also multiplatform, where DQX is restricted to Nintendo consoles.  Considering the difference in longevity between the PC release and the PS2 for XI (did SE even release Alduin for PS2 in the west? The last I heard it was only PS2 release was Japan-only), I'd consider that a limiting factor for DQX's long term success as well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:44:56 AM by Cyril » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 03:46:54 AM »

Adoulin, actually Cyril, and it was only released for PS2 in japan.

SE just needs to stop trying to break the mold with every new game they make.

TASTY!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »

Instead of taking some risks(like a huge, fabulous remake of FF6 for PS4, for example)

Japanese businesses in general play it too safe.  Too much group thinking. 

I'm curious way down the road how things, broadly speaking and not necessarily about SE or the Japanese video game industry, turn out.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »

I hope square folds and sells off all it's assets. Let competent people have a crack at prime gaming-beef. I'm also fed up with them blaming their western developed titles, which have sold great (for the most part), for part of their failure.

Yeah because the big money sink that FFXIV, Versus XIII, and crap like this http://youtu.be/EB86-zfxtF4 are great for business.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 09:00:40 PM »

Did anyone else not even know FFXIV existed until you saw it randomly go on sale on like Steam or something one day, a year later? I know I wasn't the only person in my circle of acquaintances that did, but...

FFXIV isn't exactly a minor release and its relative obscurity kind of speaks volumes.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »

I hope square folds and sells off all it's assets. Let competent people have a crack at prime gaming-beef. I'm also fed up with them blaming their western developed titles, which have sold great (for the most part), for part of their failure.

That was poor management from their part. Wishing for them to go away is not going to fix anything either.

Did anyone else not even know FFXIV existed until you saw it randomly go on sale on like Steam or something one day, a year later? I know I wasn't the only person in my circle of acquaintances that did, but...

FFXIV isn't exactly a minor release and its relative obscurity kind of speaks volumes.

I see you missed Sony conference at E3 2009.

Shocking Final Fantasy XIV Announcement: LIVE Reaction to Trailer
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »

I don't remember 2009.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 09:27:57 PM »

I don't remember 2009.

It was better than 2008.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »

I don't remember 2009.

It was better than 2008.

Code for "it had Demon's Souls." Which 2008 didn't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: