Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 02:34:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338746 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  is the gaming industry heading for another crash?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: is the gaming industry heading for another crash?  (Read 2616 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxXEidtxHk

what do you think?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2013/04/oil.html
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:45:37 PM »

Great link, btw.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »

Money changes everything.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »

Now I wanna listen to Cyndi Lauper.

I do talk with my wallet a lot, and I am strong willed enough to not buy games that I feel have underhanded methods of cheating me out of my money. This means I probably don't play as many games as other people here, but I can honestly say I haven't felt cheated in some time by a game.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »

I think I haven't heard such poorly-research self-important BS in a while.  The fact that the whiny voice-over literally calls the Mass Effect 3 ending "the mother of all blunders" ought to be enough to realize how ridiculously lacking in perspective this 'analysis' is...

Also, game industry != EA.

Holy crap, game companies want to make money.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 08:07:43 PM »

I guess that's another pov.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »

No. Will it change? Yeah.

Will you get the tired old formulaic JRPGS you're creaming over? In spurts.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »

Will you get the tired old formulaic JRPGS you're creaming over? In spurts.

Same way I've gotten sick of every goddamn WRPG being at least 80% infected by Tolkien?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 10:29:16 PM »

what do you think?

Didn't know that EA was "The Gaming Industry".

Also no there's not going to be a crash, inste-

Exactly (thanks Yoda!). Gaming has been going through another change in the last few years and a lot people that are into this always get all sensible about the entire situation, is nothing new really.

I guess that's another pov.

Opinions. How do they work?
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »

God I hope so. Then maybe I can find something else to not spend all my FAT BENJAMINS on.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »

God I hope so. Then maybe I can find something else to not spend all my FAT BENJAMINS on.

You'd prolly take up needlepoint
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 10:45:06 PM »

I'll finally be able to SAVE all my benjamins and move through my backlog more easily. 

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »

You'd prolly take up needlepoint

I'm reading that in two different ways and in both cases I am totally not sharing with you, because you are a lout and a cad. GOOD DAY, SIR.

* doffs something, walks out *

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 11:12:32 PM »

The entire video was basically: "Here's stuff I don't like.  Ahah, the entire game industry is going to collapse because you're doing stuff I don't like (based on no evidence...ignoring the fact that many of the things he complains about were quite commercially successful)!  Do stuff I like instead!"

Obviously things are changing.  The rise of digital distribution and mobile gaming has let a lot of smaller developers bypass the traditional big publishers.  Things probably don't look great if you're a traditional big publisher...but that doesn't mean the game industry is dying.  And it's totally unrelated to most of what he whines about in that video.  Gaming on a whole is bigger than ever.  It's become an entrenched part of our entertainment culture, not the fledgling industry it was in 1983.  There are more people than ever buying games, more people than ever making games, and more ways than ever to get them.  They're not about to go away.

By the way, was anyone else seriously annoyed by his take on the whole no-used-games-on-the-PS4 thing?  Not only was that rumor debunked before that video was even made (no matter, apparently he doesn't 'believe' that so whatever...), but he even goes so far as to exaggerate things beyond what even the rumors said.  In the doomsday scenario he presents he says that if your console breaks you would have to buy all your games again...nevermind that common sense tells you that even if this used games thing was true (which it isn't...), it would almost certainly be tied to your PSN account just like digital purchases, not your physical hardware.  In fact the only console maker I'm aware of that has ever tied software purchases to physical hardware would be Nintendo, but I guess he was too busy spending half the video writing a love letter to Nintendo to realize that.

Edit: I might add that his entire thesis that this is somehow like the industry pre-1983 is totally flawed.  The shovelware being pumped out back then was often barely even functional.  Heck, sometimes it wasn't functional.  That's on a completely different level from, "whaaah, I didn't like the ending".  The fact that he was able to make it to the ending already shows that the games he is complaining about are still much better designed than what caused the 1983 crash.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:20:38 PM by Kevadu » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: