Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:53:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341075 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 36836 times)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: May 26, 2013, 09:45:48 AM »

Is there any word on if Sony are going to do something similar in relation to used games? Most things I have heard tend to be pretty confusing.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »

Is there any word on if Sony are going to do something similar in relation to used games? Most things I have heard tend to be pretty confusing.

Posted this before.

Sony & used games: a recap of comments sofar & why we may already know their strategy -- NeoGAF
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2013, 11:42:29 AM »

To skip the fairly long babble and rehash of interview comments, Sony themselves don't sound like they wanna implement their own online registration, but will give other publishers the option to do so. Basically, though, they didn't say anything at 100% certainty.

TASTY!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2013, 04:37:51 PM »

I think Sony is on board with Microsoft here. There's no way only one side would have disc DRM. This is like when they both agreed to start charging $60 for games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »

Well, the $60 thing can be attributed to retailers too, and that doesn't require much in the way of infrastructure I'd think. But it's also worth noting that Microsoft's approach seems to be EXTREMELY lopsided in favor of the US, Sony could well have looked at other countries and decided they simply couldn't implement it, whereas Microsoft may've decided only first world countries, ESPECIALLY US matter and so fuck having it work well with anyone else.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2013, 06:08:51 PM »

It's a narrow minded strategy.

What's even more ridiculous is that this is the first step by console gaming towards standardizing digital media, reducing physical games into mere licenses.

Except they aren't even carrying over the old digital titles to the new consoles! They're telling gamers straight to our faces, "Buy all this digital content stuff! It'll last as long as this console generation does." The biggest benefit of owning stuff digitally on the PC is that it outlasts any mere piece of hardware one might own, and that it's eternally compatible (for the most part) with future machines.

Microsoft could have really set the precedent here for the long term future of console gaming and digital rights. But it's pretty clear they're more interested in putting Windows in the living room than making the best gaming console possible

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:11:01 PM by Sagacious-T » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »

Microsoft answers the question of Xbox One region locks -- Digital Trends

"As the details of the Xbox One continue to trickle out following the May 21, 2013 unveiling and the subsequent deluge of facts (some real, some not), we have one more piece of information to confirm about the console: the Xbox One will still feature regional locks.

"Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale," A rep from Microsoft confirmed to Digital Trends. "We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One."
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2013, 07:34:56 PM »

http://www.theonion.com/video/xbox-one-capable-of-controlling-users-with-simple,32569/

HahahahahahahHaha.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2013, 10:24:14 PM »

As a friend of mine elegantly phrased it on Twitter, revealing that the Xbone is region locked is like pointing out a loose screw on a collapsed bridge at this point.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2013, 12:00:22 AM »

Did anyone actually expect the Xbone to be region-free?

In other news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYso30L9zI

Is this better or worse than "realtime weapon changing"? ;)

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »

LOL!

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2013, 12:47:32 AM »

Well, being region free sold a good number of PS3.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2013, 01:14:03 AM »

Not being region free didn't exactly slow down wii and 360 sales though.

Or DS.

Or 3DS.

Pretty sure gameboy didn't allow other region carts either.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2013, 01:19:24 AM »

Or DS.

Or 3DS.

Pretty sure gameboy didn't allow other region carts either.

Uhhh, people gave as much of a shit as they did because DS and all Game Boys were region free. They would've still wanted region free anyway, but after historically being region free and suddenly locking down it was a kick to the teeth.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2013, 02:54:01 AM »

Or DS.

Or 3DS.

Well I obviously can't speak for the general public, but I'll tell you the #1 reason I haven't gotten a 3DS yet is because it's not region-free.  Though I do feel more and more like I'll have to get one eventually...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: