Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 03:44:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340854 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 36510 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: June 10, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »

@Aeolus Yeah, but the PS3 came out when people actually had jobs and shit. $500 in this economy is asking a lot, given the ample number of alternatives to the Xbone that didn't exist when the PS3 came out.
That price tag won't dissuade anyone, considering the original xbox 360 was 400 bucks. This includes the kinect hardware, so 500 bucks is easily acceptable. If anything, it sounds to be a respectable buy for a launch console. Now if they went for the 600+ marker, I'd have written MS off for good, this gives them at least a foothold for this generation coming. If Sony unveils their system at anything under 500 though, consider Xbox One boned for good.

The euro price tag however...yeah, MS is the Sega of the US now in terms of not giving a fuck about anyone elsewhere.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: June 10, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »

Given everything else about the XB1, Microsoft clearly only wants Americans buying the console, so don't be so surprised.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 10, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »

@Aeolus Yeah, but the PS3 came out when people actually had jobs and shit. $500 in this economy is asking a lot, given the ample number of alternatives to the Xbone that didn't exist when the PS3 came out.

And it was still a significant deterrent in favor of the (usually) better performing and cheaper 360, nevermind the Wii's novelty, and there was also the blu-ray factor.

Another way to look at is Sony went from first place to roughly tied over the 360 with this, and before this X1 shitstorm it was probably viewed as either the biggest screw up for a console launch or second biggest after the Saturn (that probably still reigns king.) They screwed up pretty badly yet STILL held their own, you think Microsoft can do the same when they're not high above everyone else except maybe in mindshare for English speaking territories?

But like said it depends on Sony. If they can come in at roughly the X1's price then it's a moot point.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 10, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »

I'm really curious to see what Sony says at their conference. At this point, the buzz certainly has them as the favored horse in this generation of consoles.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: June 10, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »

Sony is already ahead with consumers considering the boneheaded moves that Microsoft has made, but they would definitely put the nail in the coffin if they reveal that it is cheaper than the Xbone.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: June 10, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »

That room is going to deflate like a popped balloon if Sony announces DRM for their console or used games.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44:27 PM »

Its still going to be a two console market after all the dust settles.Not counting the WiiU.. It would take a string of catastrophic failures to sink the xbone or ps4. I never understand why people want to see consoles fail. Its silly.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 10, 2013, 08:52:17 PM »

I never understand why people want to see consoles fail. Its silly.

You HAVE been following this DRM stuff, right? There's a reason people like me actually want to see this happen, and I'm not one that really ever wanted that before; it's a terrible idea to have on a closed platform and I want the notion it's acceptable to die painfully, especially that 24 hour dialing home crap. This would be an issue with Sony or Nintendo as well.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 10, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »

Exactly - I would like there to be some line in the sand where consumers actually say "You know what?  This is not OK.  I'm not going to purchase your product if you're this committed to invading my privacy and stopping me from playing your games when I want to and buying them where I want to."

I know that this is not a possibility.  There is no universe in which that will happen.  But I'd love it if there were.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: June 10, 2013, 09:28:31 PM »

I never said I was a fan of always on but its not a deal-breaker for me. I knew it was coming sooner or later so I've chosen to deal with it. Otherwise, what? Boycott the system and miss out on some great games? No thanks. If Sony goes the same route, so be it. I'm going to end up with both consoles probably within the next year. I see only minor issues that aren't going to alter the gaming experience. But hey, that's me.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: June 10, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »

Otherwise, what? Boycott the system and miss out on some great games?

Boycott the system and actually get through my backlog for once. Do you how many PSX games I have accumulated over the past year and a half? Do you know how many of those I've actually PLAYED?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: June 10, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »

Otherwise, what? Boycott the system and miss out on some great games?

Boycott the system and get better systems later when they realize why they failed so hard.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 10, 2013, 10:20:04 PM »

Honestly, the always-on Kinect is a much bigger dealbreaker for me than the once-a-day internet requirement.  I never want any of my devices doing things because they think I told them to, and I absolutely never want them watching me.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 10, 2013, 11:11:18 PM »

I never said I was a fan of always on but its not a deal-breaker for me. I knew it was coming sooner or later so I've chosen to deal with it.

No more used or physical games and requiring an internet connection PERIOD? That was probably inevitable. Requiring an internet connection ALL THE TIME? No, that wasn't inevitable, or at least it should never have been a necessity short of going all multiplayer for games (or at least streaming all the time.) It's absurd and unnecessary to protect their games, and as such I want nothing to do with it.

Fortunately, Sony's given a handy out.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: June 10, 2013, 11:55:24 PM »

I never said I was a fan of always on but its not a deal-breaker for me. I knew it was coming sooner or later so I've chosen to deal with it. Otherwise, what? Boycott the system and miss out on some great games? No thanks.

If it's a Microsoft game, probably a fairly good chance they'll end up on PC eventually which is where I will then pick them up.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: