Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 07:41:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329449 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 28267 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:59 PM »

The source is Phil fucking Harrison and I've seen this show up. If they're wrong then I would expect Microsoft is so dysfunctional as a corporation that you'd have to be weary of how the Xbox would be handled anyway (though it does sound plausible for some amazing communication gaffes given how they apparently handle development there...)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »

Oh hey it uses Metro still. Remember that time the XBox was a touch-enabled device!!

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560478
Get some popcorn people! Thread gone full meltdown! If Sony does something similar...well, fuck console gaming I am going full PC. Never thought I would EVER say that.
Even without the atrocious DOA policy there is no way in hell I would buy this system. Kinect + needing mandatory internet = no go.

I don't understand how people can say this with a straight face when Steam's drm is just as restrictive.

I watched the conference but it started at 2am here.
All I saw was 20 minutes of YOU CAN WATCH TV before I fell asleep.
Woke up, looked at the internet and just sighed.
Looks like 3ds is going to be my only console this gen.
Maybe a vita depending on what's shown at E3.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »

I've seen this show up.

I don't understand that site...it's just pictures.  Is this like news for people who hate reading or something?

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »

I don't understand that site...it's just pictures.  Is this like news for people who hate reading or something?

Click on 'Xbox One: Your Top Questions Answered'.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2013, 09:17:24 PM »

Get some popcorn people! Thread gone full meltdown! If Sony does something similar...well, fuck console gaming I am going full PC. Never thought I would EVER say that.
Even without the atrocious DOA policy there is no way in hell I would buy this system. Kinect + needing mandatory internet = no go.

I don't understand how people can say this with a straight face when Steam's drm is just as restrictive.

Steam is an entirely digital platform that gives you access to your games ANYWHERE, games you probably bought on a 50-75% off sale. These are physical discs that will run at least $60 each. Steam gives you a good service in exchange for being locked on its platform. Microsoft's measure is 100% anti-consumer.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »

I watched the conference but it started at 2am here.
All I saw was 20 minutes of YOU CAN WATCH TV before I fell asleep.
Woke up, looked at the internet and just sighed.
Looks like 3ds is going to be my only console this gen.
Maybe a vita depending on what's shown at E3.

I don't buy and sell used games off stream, I do on consoles . I also use Gamefly and rent games from my local rental store  so until real concrete non BS info comes from MS  I give a healthy *bleep* off to this console.Then again unless the other negative news about the system are cleared up I am not buying it anyway. Stream market also works differently cause there are major sales. console games almost never drop to those price levels unless the game was just bad and not worth buying anyway for the most part.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »

I don't buy and sell used games off stream, I do on consoles .  I also use Gamefly and rent games from my local rental store

OK, I understand Taelus's point, but come on.  The reason you don't buy and sell used games on Steam or rent games is because you can't.  So that isn't really an argument...

By the way:
XBox One hard drive non-replaceable, does support external storage.

Hope you like 500GB...forever.  Especially with those mandatory game installs...

Edit: Woops, totally misread that headline.  I don't know why I saw a 'not' before the external storage thing...I guess I'm just trained to be pessimistic.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:35:12 PM by Kevadu » Logged

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »

If xbox wanted to impress us, all they had to do was show the system, the name of it, and call of poopie. All thry had to do, no one would have been mad or angry, but no.

I eagerly await a massive eruption of consoles claiming all discs don't have this permission to be used and create a red ring mk2 catastrophe.

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2013, 09:41:33 PM »

When talking about Steam, intent matters. Steam's original motivation was easy patch distribution for Valve's games, and this kind of evolved into easy/cheap distribution in general.

Also, crucially, Steam still validates games if you AREN'T online.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »

I don't buy and sell used games off stream, I do on consoles .  I also use Gamefly and rent games from my local rental store

OK, I understand Taelus's point, but come on.  The reason you don't buy and sell used games on Steam or rent games is because you can't.  So that isn't really an argument...

By the way:
XBox One hard drive non-replaceable, does support external storage.

Hope you like 500GB...forever.  Especially with those mandatory game installs...

Edit: Woops, totally misread that headline.  I don't know why I saw a 'not' before the external storage thing...I guess I'm just trained to be pessimistic.

Thats the point. being able to buy, sell , rent  and trade  is one  the major advantages of console vs pc  gaming for me. If that goes away I am not gonna invest in a new home console when I can just use that money to upgrade my computer. I'll stick to 3ds and PS Vita. JRPGS which I generally use my console for anyway have practically gone the way of the dodo anyway.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »

so much fail
http://kotaku.com/so-the-xbox-one-reveal-screwed-up-a-lot-of-peoples-kin-509179256

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »

And it's still going to sell. A lot. Because it's the XBox.

--- edit ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

Watching these people die inside makes me die inside OH WAIT I ALREADY AM DEAD INSIDE.

I want a company that has a CEO that just shows up at some press conference and starts... doing anything. Something amazing. Something blazingly retarded. I don't care. Just something that requires an actual soul to accomplish.

--- edit (badger mode) ---

They call it the XBox One 'cause you see the XBox One, turn one degree, and walk away.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:21:49 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2013, 10:28:47 PM »

There's something crucial people forget when they go "bu-bu-but Steam!": Steam is on an open platform, and the Xbox is a closed platform. The PC is practically the wild west in regards to how you can release stuff, and by proxy crack stuff, so it's understandable to try to find a reasonable middle ground in protecting your software and being customer friendly, before that was CD Keys but that's a joke now so it's something like Steam that isn't too intrusive and convoluted of a mess. The Xbox should be innately piracy proof and thus just about ANYTHING is overkill. If they seriously run with dialing home once a day and requiring all physical copies come with a blu-ray key and every game just being an install disc as if it were PC... fuck that, if you want use to go full digital make buying digital over physical more appealing, not this bizarre Frankenstein scheme you're cooking up. Especially as it actually makes you look more anti-consumer by taking what freedoms we had as a consumer and tunneling them only through GameStop or yourself.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2013, 01:19:14 AM »

There's something crucial people forget when they go "bu-bu-but Steam!": Steam is on an open platform, and the Xbox is a closed platform. The PC is practically the wild west in regards to how you can release stuff, and by proxy crack stuff, so it's understandable to try to find a reasonable middle ground in protecting your software and being customer friendly, before that was CD Keys but that's a joke now so it's something like Steam that isn't too intrusive and convoluted of a mess. The Xbox should be innately piracy proof and thus just about ANYTHING is overkill. If they seriously run with dialing home once a day and requiring all physical copies come with a blu-ray key and every game just being an install disc as if it were PC... fuck that, if you want use to go full digital make buying digital over physical more appealing, not this bizarre Frankenstein scheme you're cooking up. Especially as it actually makes you look more anti-consumer by taking what freedoms we had as a consumer and tunneling them only through GameStop or yourself.

To be fair though, every iteration of the Xbox has been a PC shoved into a console box and stripped of most of its functionality. Its not as hard to crack an Original Xbox with little more than a flash drive loaded with a few files and some know how on what you're doing so that you don't brick the bloody thing by accident. And while I haven't payed too much attention to cracking 360s, I wouldn't be surprised it the internal structure is PC enough for simple instructions gathered from the internet to bypass the front end, nor would it surprise me to see the same case hold for the Xb1 as well.

The real kicker though is that this is not going to stop hackers and pirates at all, just like every other DRM conceived, they'll find a way around it. What this conference and system are saying though is that Mircosoft only wants to continue doing business with the "core gamer", or more accurately, the people who have stuck with Mircosoft and the Xbox fully up to this point and would still be willing to continue regardless because its "their system" and nobody else.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: