Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:41:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334772 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 32625 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »

I'm not taking issue with iterative, I'm taking issue with them claiming it's a "BRAND NEW ENGINE." That's a flat-out lie. Iterating on an engine is totally cool, but not when you make a Big! Point! That! Your! Engine! is brand new and offers incredible new experiences.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: May 29, 2013, 12:25:29 AM »

I'm not taking issue with iterative, I'm taking issue with them claiming it's a "BRAND NEW ENGINE." That's a flat-out lie. Iterating on an engine is totally cool, but not when you make a Big! Point! That! Your! Engine! is brand new and offers incredible new experiences.

That's the thing. Even a hamster will eventually learn not to nibble on the cupcake with the mild electric current running through it. Given time, even core gamers will no longer believe Ondore's lies (maybe; honestly, I haven't much hope for them or their cause).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »

Shuhei Yoshida announces DRM on PS Vita -- NeoGAF

"Microsoft executive Aaron Greenberg asserts that the company's E3 2013 presentation will clear up Xbox One questions." -- Gamespot
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2013, 05:06:08 PM »

TotalBiscuit on XBone and used games:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/totalbiscuit-argues-against-used-games-and-explains-why-gamestop-are-knobsa

Long but interesting.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: May 30, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »

I wonder.

Let's say you buy a used XBox One game and download some patch to bypass the reactivation fee. Is that considered piracy?

Extrapolate: If you buy and play ANY used game without money going back to the original publisher, can that be considered piracy?

I don't buy used games because I want them cheap*. I buy used games because /none of the shit I want is in print anymore/.

* I spent 50-something dollars on fucking Intelligent Qube bitch this stuff ain't cheap.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:59:40 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: May 30, 2013, 08:06:49 PM »

I don't really care about used games that much.  I'm a hoardercollector and I never sell my games.  And the only time I ever buy used games is if the game is out of print and I can't actually find a new copy.  So I should be fine with this, right?

No.

It's not the used games that I care about.  It's the idea of intrusive DRM that needs me to constantly phone home to be allowed to play my single player content offline.  It's the fact that if they shut down those servers in a few years my entire collection will instantaneously become useless.  That's completely unacceptable.  And it's not something I hear the defenders of this stuff even addressing.  All I hear is, "used games are bad!"  I don't even buy used games, you know...

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: May 30, 2013, 09:22:56 PM »

It's the act that if they shut down those servers in a few years my entire collection will instantaneously become useless.

But Kevadu, videogames are a disposable source of entertainment with no lasting merit! Nobody plays something more than two or three years old, come on!

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »

I don't really care about used games that much.  I'm a hoardercollector and I never sell my games.  And the only time I ever buy used games is if the game is out of print and I can't actually find a new copy.  So I should be fine with this, right?

With the bolded taken into consideration I can't possibly see how anyone in that position can go "yeah screw used sales." Then again the internet seems to have revealed every possible opinion is out there regardless of how it clashes with common sense or even their own experience.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/article_misc/whitehawk.gif

http://i.imgur.com/uu17Z3l.gif
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:12:02 PM by Eusis » Logged

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: May 30, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »

Kaz Hirai: PS4 'first and foremost a video game console' -- Gematsu
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:21:54 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 30, 2013, 11:13:34 PM »

OK, a few too many large .gifs in here, and while I doubt anyone's on dial-up people DO use smartphones to browse.

If nothing else a 14 MB gif is absurd.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: May 30, 2013, 11:25:04 PM »

How even the fuck..?

I'm trying to come up with a response to one of Eusis' posts -- I think gamer brand loyalty is a lot like political party loyalty and leads to the same kind of groupthink -- but now I'm wondering why I buy used games and CDs at all.

Like, earlier this year, I bought a used copy of the old D&D city builder Stronghold, and it's on floppies. My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, and I'm not sure the original discs even work.

Or... better example. Bought a bunch of used music CDs and Saturn games last weekend. How much of that money got back to the original publisher? Approximately none of it. So why not just pirate it? Do I really want the /artifact/ that much?

I guess I do.

I'm a consumer whore and it's depressing and it's depressing that I can't come up with any alternatives.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:50:13 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: May 30, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »

OK, a few too many large .gifs in here, and while I doubt anyone's on dial-up people DO use smartphones to browse.

When shit don't load on my infuse, I switch to my s4. I always have an answer!

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2013, 12:49:09 AM »

With the bolded taken into consideration I can't possibly see how anyone in that position can go "yeah screw used sales." Then again the internet seems to have revealed every possible opinion is out there regardless of how it clashes with common sense or even their own experience.

Well, making things available digitally can kind of alleviate that problem.  I'm pretty sure the plan with the coming gen is to make all retail releases also available digitally.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2013, 02:21:03 AM »

Well, making things available digitally can kind of alleviate that problem.  I'm pretty sure the plan with the coming gen is to make all retail releases also available digitally.

There's still the problem of licenses expiring (as XSEED and Atlus readily showed), of which many companies completely suck at giving advance notice for, and sometimes it seems they'll pull games for the sake of marketing, Sonic 2006 was pulled before either Sonic Unleashed or Sonic Colors (not as if that's a big tragedy...) and it SOUNDS as if the original Need for Speed Most Wanted was pulled from XBL/PSN in light of the new game, probably to avoid confusion though the easier way would've been not to use the same damn name. And unlike Sonic 2006 it sounds like this one actually IS widely considered a good game and one of the most feature rich NFS titles. Ideally nothing would ever get delisted short of being outright illegal, and even then it'd just be preserved until the legality was a non-issue, but in reality they seemingly are willing to dump old games if they happen to be inconvenient for them.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: