Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 01:05:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330166 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 29230 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2013, 06:52:01 AM »

I wonder.

Let's say you buy a used XBox One game and download some patch to bypass the reactivation fee. Is that considered piracy?
I don't know about "piracy", but I will bet you would be in violation of the DMCA provision regarding circumventing electronic DRM.

Extrapolate: If you buy and play ANY used game without money going back to the original publisher, can that be considered piracy?
Nope, at least in terms of copyright that is perfectly kosher.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2013, 08:11:28 PM »

Nope, at least in terms of copyright that is perfectly kosher.

What if microsoft decides to challenge that when their used game activation fee is inevitably circumvented though?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2013, 07:46:47 AM »

What if microsoft decides to challenge that when their used game activation fee is inevitably circumvented though?
Then they are morons because the proper route for that is to go after the DMCA claim because circumventing the game activation is almost certainly a DMCA violation while there is absolutely no chance of them managing to overturn the first sale doctrine of copyright.....wait we are talking about the company that developed the Xbone. Hmm, I might have a an entertaining Supreme Court case on this subject to look forward to in four to five years.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: June 03, 2013, 11:40:55 PM »

Then they are morons

WELL YEAH (also ib4 history of wonky anti-trust bullshit).

Anyway.

Hey what if Gamestop decides to not carry the XBox One because of its used games policy 8D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:44:10 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #274 on: June 03, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »

Then they are morons

WELL YEAH.

Anyway.

Hey what if Gamestop decides to not carry the XBox One because of its used games policy 8D

I would LUL.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 04, 2013, 12:17:39 AM »

I suspect they'd be passive aggressive rather than openly hostile like that. WHOOPS, we lost that cardboard stand of that hot new release of yours! And put all the games behind the Vita cases, sorry but room's pretty tight.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: June 04, 2013, 12:42:19 AM »

Germany is calling the xgone a trojan.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: June 05, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »

"Microsoft has cancelled its E3 post-press conference roundtable w/ the media." -- Twitter

Posted by famousmortimer, NeoGAF:

"I mentioned the other day that I was hearing rumors of Microsoft throwing around a considerable amount of money to have publishers only show games on the Xbox One during E3. Most people dismissed my admittedly flakey news as 'that's what always happens.'

I've talked to more people since then though and this isn't the usual jostling for publishers on stage that happens at E3. Microsoft is throwing BIG money around to reverse course on idea that they aren't a games console. The rumors are that PS4 versions of multiplats, by those who do take the money, won't be shown AT ALL. Not on stage and not on the show floor.

I don't feel bad for Sony because business is business. I'm sure they will find a way to have a decent show... or they will have to recover afterwards. That's not really my concern.

Now, there's no need to take my word on this if you don't want to. But do keep an eye on E3 next week. With them buying up everything in sight and now potentially cutting an open roundtable out (to assumedly talk one on one with friendly press) and word that finding multiplat games on the PS4 on the show floor will be much harder than anticipated... just keep an eye on it. Maybe my sources are wrong. But I feel confident enough in this info to share it.

I'm not saying to jump to conclusions. I'm just saying it may be something to keep an eye on."
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:35:07 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #278 on: June 05, 2013, 02:01:19 PM »

Further lending credence to my theory that Microsoft is hoping to keep people as uninformed and confused as possible in order to shield themselves from criticism and ensure buyers may blindly jump in.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: June 05, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »

So they're going with plan A after all. Do the exact same thing as the last 3-4 years except even more so in hopes that their targeted demographic is as misguided and financially irresponsible as they are. No damage control, no backpedaling, and no fucks given.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: June 05, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »

Leaving this right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn_NoMjuFLc
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2013, 11:10:24 PM »

...I want to body slam him. With all my heart and soul. I just want to lift him into the air and rapidly drop him back o to the ground on his backside as hard as possible, preferably through a small table like they do in the WWE. Pretty sure I may inadvertently cause an extension of winter due to the earth's axis having been shifted....but by God I wish to body slam that man.

TASTY!
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2013, 11:21:19 PM »

Parn why did you do that? That was the worst thing. I only got halfway, but that was honestly aweful. Agent D. please do body slam him. I'm a Canadian I can take the extra winter.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2013, 11:22:34 PM »

Watch this guys.

Please.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: