Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 05:16:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330103 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 29077 times)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: June 09, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »

I'm thinking right now, all Sony has to do is just release their system as an upgraded PS3 with nothing new outside of possible 4k support for game titles in the future (though I believe they already said no to that), and they will have successfully destroyed MS this next generation. Microsoft's could save themselves if they dropped the system cost to fucking beans and just charged monthly fees for everything. Imagine a premium package service for xbone with full video on demand, sports on demand, and games for something like 30 bucks a month? Honestly, I could accept that as a solid service.

30 per month would easily go over that $400 (in just over a year) estimate people keep using for it, that'd be even worse unless you planned to have it for a few months.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: June 09, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »

@parn:

Windows as a gaming platform was also a major selling point for, er, Windows, too. Not necessarily one that Microsoft was actively driving -- I don't recall GFWL really gathering steam, pun completely intended, thanks in part due to Steam -- but if you were into PC gaming, the general assumption is that you'd go Windows.

And there's no way in hell Microsoft didn't know that.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 09, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »

@Parn: Even with the story lesson I am not going to change my opinion.

Do you realize how completely absurd that sounds? "Well that doesn't change my opinion of what their opinions are!"?

What we could argue is WHO cared and how important they were, and it probably is safe to say the likes of Ballmer never cared, Mattrick probably cares some but is likely a businessman first and foremost, and likely those with a gaming passion are overridden more by the aforementioned bean counters. Likely a direct result of the mess RROD was and that profits aren't really THAT high. It's why I suspect Microsoft is most likely to jump out at a relatively low threshold: Nintendo mainly depends on games, it was one of Sony's better ventures to the point Kaz Hirai is now CEO, and Microsoft... Felt threatened by Sony, wanted to "take over the living room" before Sony settled in too comfortably, only to have Apple and Google invalidate that conflict entirely. If the X1 does badly enough I do imagine they'll go "so why are we here again?"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 09:47:00 PM by Eusis » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: June 09, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »

Do you realize how completely that sounds? "Well that doesn't my opinion of what their opinions are!"?

Sorry what?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: June 09, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »

He saying how incredibly stupid your statement sounds. You refuse to change your opinion that MS has never been interested in gaming despite the obvious evidence to the contrary.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »

@Parn: Even with the story lesson I am not going to change my opinion.

And I know what they were doing years ago, and now all that effort seems to be thrown out of the window with Xbox One. It doesn't change anything.

Not going to change your opinion on what?  That Microsoft was never about gaming?  Because it's a stupid opinion and completely wrong.  You can "have an opinion" that the sun isn't absurdly hot and doesn't emit radiation despite the evidence, but you'd be 100% wrong.

I have no interest in convincing you to buy an Xbone considering I have no interest in it myself and actively want to see it fail until Microsoft adjusts their focus back to gaming.  But I'm not going to suddenly pretend like the Xbox 360 was shit all this time.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 09, 2013, 07:49:25 PM »

Do you realize how completely that sounds? "Well that doesn't my opinion of what their opinions are!"?

Sorry what?

I forgot a word and slipped it in.

Context should still be there though: if they had that as an actual goal then there is no debating it, maybe you can doubt their sincerity but when you flippantly say "can't change my opinion" it like saying you claiming to not care what reality itself said.

And personally I don't even need a game FOCUS, just being game FRIENDLY, and this online garbage is arguably antagonistic to the medium entirely, especially when combined with the attitude to BC.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: June 09, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »

Xbox 360 was and still is a piece of shit. It's just that enough the broken and fucked consoles got circulated out that it's only a piece of shit now, not a fucking xboned.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: June 09, 2013, 08:40:07 PM »

He saying how incredibly stupid your statement sounds. You refuse to change your opinion that MS has never been interested in gaming despite the obvious evidence to the contrary.

Ah, that.

Not going to change your opinion on what?  That Microsoft was never about gaming?  Because it's a stupid opinion and completely wrong.  You can "have an opinion" that the sun isn't absurdly hot and doesn't emit radiation despite the evidence, but you'd be 100% wrong.

I forgot a word and slipped it in.

Context should still be there though: if they had that as an actual goal then there is no debating it, maybe you can doubt their sincerity but when you flippantly say "can't change my opinion" it like saying you claiming to not care what reality itself said.

Hm. :/

Maybe all of this comes from me never trusting their message and never being attracted in what they were offering with Xbox.

...I really need to stop saying 'never'. (._.')
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 09, 2013, 09:52:45 PM »

Hm. :/

Maybe all of this comes from me never trusting their message and never being attracted in what they were offering with Xbox.

...I really need to stop saying 'never'. (._.')

Actually I mangled that more than I intended and so rewrote it somewhat, that was kind of a hasty post and edit.

Anyways, I assume you mean "I still doubt they really cared about games", and I think that may remain a valid view without getting to know them personally. However, even if they didn't really care about games they at least better got it, and in any case were probably given more freedom than the current people have. That understanding of how to treat gaming has more or less vanished since then, whereas Sony elevated one of the biggest SCE people to CEO, and in any case Sony's commonly been an company about consumer electronics and entertainment so gaming's sort of just an extension of that, and Nintendo came from being a toy/card company. Microsoft was software, namely productivity software, and it kinda shows more and more that gaming really was a fluke there for awhile, one that is likely to slip from their grasp, and frankly I really hope it does at least in regards to consoles as they crossed a line where a competitor is better off gone rather than staying around.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 10, 2013, 02:47:06 PM »

So. $500.

Depending on Sony's price I think they may well be done in by that alone.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: June 10, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »

So. $500.

Depending on Sony's price I think they may well be done in by that alone.

The PS3 came out at the same price and that didn't stop them. But the fact that they really didn't go into any of the accusations levied at the XBone doesn't inspire a lot of faith.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: June 10, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »

Did they talk about their subscription model they were supposed to have? The one where you'd buy an xbone + gold for 2 years ?
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: June 10, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »

@Aeolus Yeah, but the PS3 came out when people actually had jobs and shit. $500 in this economy is asking a lot, given the ample number of alternatives to the Xbone that didn't exist when the PS3 came out.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: June 10, 2013, 03:08:05 PM »

They are absolutely batshit insane charging 430 pounds for this thing in the UK. That is more expensive then the original ps3
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: