Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 01:18:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327653 Posts in 13413 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 25930 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: June 16, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »

I guess Sony won that poll Amazon had going... 38,984 to 2,162. Yet another thing I don't remember ever seeing before.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Grabs-95-Consumer-Votes-Amazon-Ends-Poll-Early-56766.html

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: June 16, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »

I guess Sony won that poll Amazon had going... 38,984 to 2,162. Yet another thing I don't remember ever seeing before.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Grabs-95-Consumer-Votes-Amazon-Ends-Poll-Early-56766.html

Lmao.  Well, if you're an Xbox lover you do get these:

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: June 16, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: June 16, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »

MMmmmmm I hope they taste like ground up plastic and heavy metals

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: June 17, 2013, 01:22:39 AM »

man....I am still trying to process how this all happened.  I wonder if Microsoft is scrambling to fix this shit show right now. I'm asumming that they are either frantically working to revamp the console right now or....something..

Surely they cant be thinking that this lame duck is favored right now.  Its gonna tank hard unless they do something. Fast.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: June 17, 2013, 01:48:44 AM »

It'd be sort of hilarious if the XBone hits with all the impact of an... NGage.

At which point I become immediately aware of the passing of time and this is some serious Chekhov shit.

Lordy.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: June 17, 2013, 02:43:03 AM »

It'd be sort of hilarious if the XBone hits with all the impact of an... NGage.

At which point I become immediately aware of the passing of time and this is some serious Chekhov shit.

Lordy.

Nevermind the NGage. This is beginning to feel like they're trying to pull a Gizmondo on us. It almost seems like its just a matter of time before someone comes clean and tells us that the Xbone is an elaborate scam meant to milk the 360's fanbase for all its worth before departing from the gaming industry.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: June 17, 2013, 06:53:26 AM »

man....I am still trying to process how this all happened.  I wonder if Microsoft is scrambling to fix this shit show right now. I'm asumming that they are either frantically working to revamp the console right now or....something..

Surely they cant be thinking that this lame duck is favored right now.  Its gonna tank hard unless they do something. Fast.

I'm honestly not sure that anyone at Microsoft really cares at the moment. Microsoft was clearly aiming for a specific demographic (for lack of a better term the bro demographic.....and the demographic of non-gamers who like to yell at their television), and they very well may believe that that demographic is not well represented in these polls. So in their minds, I could totally see them thinking "Everything is fine, these people (heathens) just don't understand the glory of our new system. However once the people the system is built for get ahold of it, then everyone will understand the glory."

The question at this point is how their core demographic really is taking all this news. The only person I know who is close to their desired demographics has indicated that he is leaning towards a PS4 at the moment. That is hardly definitive evidence, but it is all I've got at the moment. I really just don't get the logic behind the Xbone strategy, I feel like they are aiming for moderate success with minimal costs, but that they are messing that up and going to fail to get even that.....I really don't know. Only reason I am even paying attention to the Xbone at the moment is that I feel like this is going to be (already is?) one of those instances that will become a marketing text book example some day, and those are always interesting to watch in real time.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: June 17, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »

I don't even understand their core demographic. American gamers who love TV and sports and wish they could use their gaming controller to control their tv browsing so they don't have to go to all the hassle of hitting "Input"... but who also don't mind a system that has weakened gaming potential due to the 3 OS ram hogging... and who don't mind needing several external hard drives if they want an on hand game collection (Going with last 3 generations game size we're looking at 40gb average game size and 250+gb top end game size).... and who enjoy or at least want Kinect.

That seems to be a very narrow group of people to target... and while on one hand it's easy to say a family would love all these different abilities on the more realistic hand a family would love all these things, but not when only one person can be using any of the features at a time. I can understand targeting the casual market, but this seems like they were torn between focusing on gamers and focusing on casual and the end result isn't perfect for either.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: June 17, 2013, 01:18:58 PM »

Yeah, the problem is that demographic doesn't know about any of those downsides. And even if you told them about them, they wouldn't understand nor feel the need to understand why they're being completely fucked over. Their response would be along the lines of "...but it's still got Halo, right?"

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: June 17, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »

Judging by polls and presale chart ranking I think the blind and unquestioning demographic is smaller than anticipated.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 17, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

Judging by polls and presale chart ranking I think the blind and unquestioning demographic is smaller than anticipated.

Or they wait closer to launch.

Though they'd probably see $500 and forget about it before finding out ANYTHING else.
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: June 17, 2013, 05:19:54 PM »

I think/hope they will try to revamp their PR spin at least. The last week has NOT been particularly stellar for them, but I don't think they will try revamping the hardware until they can actually see an influence on sales. For now I think they are just banking on the consumer being relatively poorly informed, or just not giving a fuck. They probably assume the mindshare of the Xbox branding in the US and the hassle associated with migrating to a new online eco-system (friends-lists etc) will be enough to pull them through.
I suspect there will be more speculative and optimistic, but incredibly vague statements about the family-sharing system etc to try to get some better press.

That Major Nelson interview is such a hideous display of arrogance and abominable fashion sense.

"Did you see titanfall?
enough said.
conversation over."
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »

My guess is that Eusis is right, and that the price point will be the most important question to a fair number of consumers.  And whether they think $500 is a fair price will be the determiner.

If sales don't go well, MS will drop their price down at some point after the initial release, but making changes to the things people like us are actually upset about will be the last, desperate act they'd try.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: June 17, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »

My guess is that Eusis is right, and that the price point will be the most important question to a fair number of consumers.  And whether they think $500 is a fair price will be the determiner.

If sales don't go well, MS will drop their price down at some point after the initial release, but making changes to the things people like us are actually upset about will be the last, desperate act they'd try.

The fun thing is with the Kinect bundled I don't see how they could drop the price without underselling losing money. The kinect 2 actually is an impressive bit of hardware and the dev and production costs for it have to be fairly high. Since the One is said to not work without it, it sounds like they'd have a hard time doing that, or have to patch the system to work without the kinect and then drop it to lower the price.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: