Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 11:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341150 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 37028 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: June 19, 2013, 04:29:21 PM »

Only certain people. Hardcore gamers are but a subset, and I'm betting if they do renege there will be enough good looking exclusive to sway people back to their side.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 19, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »

Unfortunately, it won't matter quite as much as they want it to. People are already soured over Microsoft's poor handling of this entire console reveal.

I do imagine many of us have a sour enough taste in our mouths, and they can't do much about the price point without a crazy loss that'd probably force the shareholders to go "enough, cut them out", but it will move the system from "not touching unless I 'have to'" to "when the price is lower and the exclusives I want are out." I kind of expect Sony to regain their lead again, but maybe not to as extreme a degree as the X1 being always online may've permitted.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #497 on: June 19, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »

I think you're underestimating the price difference.

On the one hand, it's a victory for consumer rights. On the other hand, it's clear exactly which team they're playing for and whose rights they prioritize first. It's great from a competition standpoint. You're right that the hardcore gamers are a subset, and the average dude won't care about the backpedaling or messaging, but they WILL care very much about the $100 difference in price.

As I said early, for me having only played maybe 2-3 games on my XB and XB360, I will definitely not be buying this console. They could price it the same as Sony and give me free cupcakes every time I turn it on (which, if 360 is any indication, would be once a year) and I still wouldn't want it. There is nothing in the lineup that interests me, and between the product messaging and the 360's complete dearth of RPGs (because most RPGs aren't the CoD-level jillion-selling cash-cows that Microsoft and their corporate publisher pals are desperate for) suggests to me that the case will be no different this time.

Nonetheless, them dropping some of these restrictions is absolutely a good thing, and I'm pleased that they went this route, even if it was very begrudgingly.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: June 19, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »

Microsoft has to be really careful. One of my favorite classes I took in college was on PR during a crisis, and one thing we covered was "taking back," which is a surprisingly delicate situation. They don't want to completely avoid saying that they screwed up, but they also don't want to sound like they're just trying to save face. I'm very curious how they're going to handle this considering what a disaster every other PR move they've made has been lately.

Also, it will probably still require Kinect and that's more of a turn-off to me than the DRM and online authentication.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:43:50 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: June 19, 2013, 04:42:47 PM »

Yeah, there's still a lot of factors that will go into next gen hardware purchase, but I have to admit that this news has grabbed me.

To be honest, I favored my 360 over my PS3 for the first three years I had both; it's only been lately that I've gamed on my PS3 more (due to excellent exclusives), and even then I turned to the 360 for the superior multiplatform experiences (Bayonetta, anyone?). I imagine these differences will become much less pronounced next gen, with the hardware specs being practically neck and neck, so it'll all come down to the exclusives. Titanfall looks amazing, but it'll only take one or two The Last of Us-caliber titles to sway me in one direction or another.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #500 on: June 19, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »

Plus, Titanfall's on PC ;). I don't count it as a console exclusive if I can have it on PC, too, because I'll take the PC version over either console version any day of the week.

This is still pure good news, and you're right about this being a delicate marketing situation: by doing this, they've basically confirmed they're favoring their publisher-relations with their consumer relations, and this move was borne purely out "oh shit our Amazon preorder numbers* are horrible."

*my guess

EDIT:

Also thank you for mentioning The Last of Us. I love that game. It's why I'm invested in a PS4-- Sony's exclusive developers have always appealed to me more.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: June 19, 2013, 04:46:06 PM »

^ That's a pretty common story. The XBox 360 offered very few exclusives in the second half of its life, and the only family-friendly exclusives weren't so much family-friendly as they were designed for little kids (like Sesame Street)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #502 on: June 19, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »

from the official post:

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

In other words, it sounds like they're ditching the 10-person sharing plan, which was actually a neat idea. I hope that isn't the case.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 19, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »

In other words, it sounds like they're ditching the 10-person sharing plan, which was actually a neat idea. I hope that isn't the case.

Good news: what Microsoft abandons Steam adopts. Maybe.

I think it would've been a great idea to keep for DD, even if they probably should keep it to something like 3 other people (the nuclear family.)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #504 on: June 19, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »

I saw that news earlier. I can't wait for them to launch that. Hopefully it sets a precedent.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 19, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »

Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

Was this ever not going to be the case?  That would have been a nice thing.

Of course, like Klutz64, the Kinect thing was always the dealbreaker for me.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: June 19, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »

Good ol' damage control!  Looks like they mighta pressured enough to drop DRM.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 19, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »

Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

Was this ever not going to be the case?  That would have been a nice thing.

Yes, actually. The tradeoff was going to be that the disc was just an install disc and the game would play without it much like a Steam retail game would've been like, now it's looking to be install + verification disc, which is instead like PC games after full installs became standard and before Steam/Securom started to make no disc play popular.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: June 19, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »

I knew it! In one of these other threads I said MS would go back on some of that. A few said I was wrong, MS doesn't do those things. They went back on quite a lot of stuff I see.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: June 19, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »

I knew it! In one of these other threads I said MS would go back on some of that. A few said I was wrong, MS doesn't do those things. They went back on quite a lot of stuff I see.

They had to, the were losing.  Now maybe they can start digging up again.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: