Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327722 Posts in 13418 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 25963 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: June 19, 2013, 05:51:09 PM »

Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

Was this ever not going to be the case?  That would have been a nice thing.

Of course, like Klutz64, the Kinect thing was always the dealbreaker for me.

Ditto.  Even if the exclusives are nice, there will be plenty of games on other systems to keep me busy (assuming they don't come to the PC eventually anyway which they probably will).  It doesn't change my decision in the slightest.

And I still hate Don Mattingly.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: June 19, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »

It's a pretty big deal that MS reversed their position on this.  When they first announced their DRM scheme I saw a whole lot of comments saying things to the effect that you should get used to it, this is the future, Sony is going to do it too, etc.  Of course then Sony didn't do it and they became the heroes of the internet for a week.  MS was clearly under a lot of pressure from all the bad press and preorder numbers for the PS4 were trouncing the Xbox One so they had to fold.

Do you know what this means?  Consumers still have some voice.  We don't have to just lie down and take things.  The internet collectively told MS where to shove their DRM and they were forced to oblige.  This is a huge victory for consumers.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: June 19, 2013, 06:22:24 PM »

It's a pretty big deal that MS reversed their position on this.  When they first announced their DRM scheme I saw a whole lot of comments saying things to the effect that you should get used to it, this is the future, Sony is going to do it too, etc.  Of course then Sony didn't do it and they became the heroes of the internet for a week.  MS was clearly under a lot of pressure from all the bad press and preorder numbers for the PS4 were trouncing the Xbox One so they had to fold.

Do you know what this means?  Consumers still have some voice.  We don't have to just lie down and take things.  The internet collectively told MS where to shove their DRM and they were forced to oblige.  This is a huge victory for consumers.
I want to scream this aloud from the rooftops of every building in every city everywhere.

TASTY!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #513 on: June 19, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »

I think it's important to remember that this probably wasn't a case of 'voices being heard.' it's pure business math. People voted with their wallets and the preorder numbers showed it. Notice how belligerent they were about it RIGHT until the numbers became available. Our voices weren't heard, our wallets were.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: June 19, 2013, 06:31:53 PM »

But our wallets are an extension of our voices. That's exactly what people mean when they say "voting with our wallets." Whether it was a business decision or not isn't the issue.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #515 on: June 19, 2013, 06:46:09 PM »

I disagree completely. People saying "Microsoft heard our complaints." No they didn't, they heard market research and saw actual hard numbers saying "this is a bad idea." If the numbers had been in their favor, they'd still be trying to convince us that their policies offer "thousands of dollars in value" right now and trucking right along.

Complaints mean nothing if people still go and buy stuff. It's just fortunate for us that in this case, people actually backed up their complaints with their dollars. The two aren't always in sync.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: June 19, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »

No, they aren't, and that's unfortunate, but looking at market data and concluding that consumers will cause a hit to your books is exactly what should result when people cry "anti-consumer practices." The bottom line is our voices mean nothing without our dollars (which is also why internet petitions rarely ever work - they're just flakey internet denizens shouting without any backing). Honestly, I don't have any doubt that if they could get away with it, Sony and Nintendo would be doing the exact same thing.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #517 on: June 19, 2013, 06:54:39 PM »

Sony maybe, but I don't think Nintendo would. They're just now figuring out what the internet is :)

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: June 19, 2013, 06:55:48 PM »

Touché.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: June 19, 2013, 07:11:52 PM »

I have a feeling consumers had less to do with this decision than publishers starting to shy away and Gamestop threatening to limit the sales of XB1's and less shelf space for their games. Also pre-order numbers has already been said.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: June 19, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »

I have a feeling consumers had less to do with this decision than publishers starting to shy away and Gamestop threatening to limit the sales of XB1's and less shelf space for their games. Also pre-order numbers has already been said.

But that all goes back to the consumer. Whether it is "speaking with our wallets" or "our voice being heard" it is still that consumers have impact. Publishers started to shy away because they realize people weren't interested in the system and so they wouldn't make much money by putting games out for it. Gamestop threatened to limit shelf space because the majority of their money is from used games so since consumers wouldn't be buying used games for the system they didn't feel the need to have space. Regardless of the ultimate deciding factor, we as consumers can feel comfortable and happy in the fact that the majority was heard, whether it was our wallets or voices, we were heard.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »

They posted an official announcement.

Unfortunately they're still not, apparently, getting rid of the stupid kinect.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: June 19, 2013, 08:14:05 PM »

I love the posts on this... saw one comparing MS to an abusive spouse who beat his wife then brought flowers.

I'm still not planning on getting a One... once you've tried to stick it in my mouth the thought has left a bad taste already, so I won't be hanging out with you and playing games together.

*edit* Plus, Kinect.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:25 PM »

With this reversal I'm definitely more interested in getting the XBone. However, I won't be getting it at launch due to the price, and the fact that the PS4 has more games announced for it that I'm interested in than the XBone. Maybe down the line but there's no way I can afford to get two next gen consoles this year; I'm still deciding if I can even afford one.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:12 PM »

It's like Kevadu said (I find myself agreeing with him a lot lately...wonder why?), this proves that we as consumers have a say. I still have no intention of buying an xbone, and as a matter of fact I may go ahead and trade in my xbob and remaining xbob games towards a ps4 or at least some ps3 stuff. But the fact that our bitching and complaining and pronounced display of disdain actually forced ms to respond positively shows that we as consumers are still more than a simple figure in their equations. I'm thrilled by this, literally amazed

TASTY!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: