Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 03:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335194 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 33654 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: June 19, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »

It's like Kevadu said (I find myself agreeing with him a lot lately...wonder why?)

Clearly we're soulmates...

And, uh, I guess Jim Sterling is my soulmate too.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: June 19, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »

I dunno. Now that i think about it, I actually liked where the Xbox One was going with things. They just presented it in a really dumb way, tried to force kinect on people, etc.

Digital games sharing is such an awesome idea. If Xbone was $400, didn't force kinect, was digital only, had 1-time game gifting, game sharing with family and friends, and had planned semi-annual sales on digital content, it would be an easy choice over a DRM-free PS4 primarily focused on physical media.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: June 19, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »

I'm still gonna get one next year at some point and it is nice to see the 180 they did but they may need to offer some more incentive to wash the bad taste out of gamers mouths. Kinect...don't really care as you can disable it to some extent. The price tag is the main thing for me as the alternative is what I'm getting this Xmas season. Its going to have to be about exclusive titles and I don't think Halo is going to save it completely.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »

had planned semi-annual sales on digital content

I guess it's possible that they might have done this, but they never said they would and MS doesn't have a great track record in that regard.  PSN actually has had much better sales and regular price drops of digital content than XBLA, even for purely digital stuff and especially for digtal+physical releases.  While they still haven't quite reached the level of Steam sales there definitely are some good deals.  Random example: the new Tomb Raider game was just $20 last week.  MS seems to keep things at MSRP even after physical copies are being sold in the bargain bin.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #529 on: June 19, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »

I wish I was as optimistic abotu this 'voices being heard' thing as some of you guys are. All I see is a company caving to financial pressure and pressure from other industry leaders. I'm the kind of guy, though, who believes a corporation will not do anything, ever, unless it is something they are being fiscally required to do, and would pee in your corn  flakes every morning if it made them an extra buck in sales per day.

That said, I do think they had the beginnings of some good ideas in there. I still don't think, even if they had fantastic hardware offerings, I'd be getting one though, since Microsoft's library has historically been almost bereft of anything I'd want. Lost Odyssey and Phantom Dust were amazing, but in hindsight, were they worth me getting those consoles? Not for me.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: June 19, 2013, 11:23:14 PM »

I dunno. Now that i think about it, I actually liked where the Xbox One was going with things. They just presented it in a really dumb way, tried to force kinect on people, etc.

Digital games sharing is such an awesome idea. If Xbone was $400, didn't force kinect, was digital only, had 1-time game gifting, game sharing with family and friends, and had planned semi-annual sales on digital content, it would be an easy choice over a DRM-free PS4 primarily focused on physical media.

The sharing is the strangest thing. There was no need to drop the digital sharing just to be able to play from disks and not have the 24hr check in. Every time you buy something digitally it's recorded in your account and free to redownload... so they're already making a digital list of games per user. There's no reason they couldn't have that as a "family share" type of deal exactly as they'd said, and just not add disks you buy physically to that digital share collection. Whether you "check in" once a day has no bearing on that at all, and I see no reasons that dropping the check would *make* them drop that.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 19, 2013, 11:25:35 PM »

I'm the kind of guy, though, who believes a corporation will not do anything, ever, unless it is something they are being fiscally required to do

I am more or less of the same mindset, although I think there are exceptions.  Microsoft's probably not one of them, but I think they're out there.  It may be partially a question of size, because the concrete examples I'm thinking of are small businesses where I know the owners have cut off clients who are buying more than they can really afford.  (Their credit cards were still accepted, but they shouldn't have been using them for those products.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: June 20, 2013, 12:17:52 AM »

I wish I was as optimistic abotu this 'voices being heard' thing as some of you guys are. All I see is a company caving to financial pressure and pressure from other industry leaders. I'm the kind of guy, though, who believes a corporation will not do anything, ever, unless it is something they are being fiscally required to do, and would pee in your corn  flakes every morning if it made them an extra buck in sales per day.

Of course this is about money.  I never thought otherwise.  That isn't really my point, though.  This is less about MS and more about the realization that there really is a line that you can push too far and make consumers react.  Because frankly before this there were a lot of people with the mentality that it's all just a bunch of whining and in the end people will buy it anyway and "deal with it".  Consumers, collectively, have spoken and what they're saying is that we're not going to buy that shit.  And that's a good thing.

Obviously MS reacted because they had to, not because they wanted to.  I don't think there's the slightest bit of good samaritanism here (well, actually maybe the region-free thing, since I don't think that was most people's complaint and Nintendo seems to get away with it...).  The point is that we, as consumers, are not totally powerless.  That is what I'm celebrating.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #533 on: June 20, 2013, 01:08:28 AM »

Of course this is about money.  I never thought otherwise.  That isn't really my point, though.  This is less about MS and more about the realization that there really is a line that you can push too far and make consumers react.  Because frankly before this there were a lot of people with the mentality that it's all just a bunch of whining and in the end people will buy it anyway and "deal with it".  Consumers, collectively, have spoken and what they're saying is that we're not going to buy that shit.  And that's a good thing.

Obviously MS reacted because they had to, not because they wanted to.  I don't think there's the slightest bit of good samaritanism here (well, actually maybe the region-free thing, since I don't think that was most people's complaint and Nintendo seems to get away with it...).  The point is that we, as consumers, are not totally powerless.  That is what I'm celebrating.

Yeah okay, well-stated. You make a good point.

And it IS good news on the region-free thing.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: June 20, 2013, 02:52:41 AM »

They should

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: June 20, 2013, 04:05:01 AM »

had planned semi-annual sales on digital content

I guess it's possible that they might have done this, but they never said they would and MS doesn't have a great track record in that regard.  PSN actually has had much better sales and regular price drops of digital content than XBLA, even for purely digital stuff and especially for digtal+physical releases.  While they still haven't quite reached the level of Steam sales there definitely are some good deals.  Random example: the new Tomb Raider game was just $20 last week.  MS seems to keep things at MSRP even after physical copies are being sold in the bargain bin.

I guess i just wanted the Steam of consoles. Except they could be even better than steam. I'd sacrifice a little discount depth for all the benefits and advantages of a console platform. The sale model of $60 retail games is just not sustainable.  The move to digital COULD benefit us all. Now we can stick with the shitty online passes and petty DLC model. :/

And I agree MS doesn't have a great track record. I honestly respect them very little as a video game company.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: June 20, 2013, 05:28:31 AM »

too little too late. though i kinda want xbox to fail because i partly blame them for this dismal rpg generation. and ive hated the xbox since the first one that was broadband only when a lot of people still had dial up. so they have a history of trying to force things.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: June 20, 2013, 06:11:30 AM »

Please tell me people here get this. I was cracking up when I saw it and everyone else just said "That's dumb, you know you can turn it off" missing the entire point.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:21:05 AM by zMKnightz » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: June 20, 2013, 11:02:53 AM »

yeah yeah Blade Runner
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: June 20, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »

I'm guessing the region free thing was because CD Projekt had a few choice words for them not having a launch in Poland.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: