Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:25:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327543 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 25719 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: June 27, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »

One thing about the new kinect.... why the hell is the optical sensor all the way to one side? It looks odd as hell and I refuse to believe that whole device is packed with equipment. Make it smaller!

Industrial design nightmare.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 27, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »

On one hand Microsoft HAS put out some good hardware in the past, the early 360 and the 360's D-Pad were probably the most flaky and even then I'm guessing they were rushing things/pushing the next generation ahead of schedule for the sake of beating Sony out the door and to cut their losses on the Xbox. On the other hand the XB1 is so much bigger than the PS4 because they had to go for an esoteric RAM set up that may've been a serious flaw in their console whereas Sony being more straightforward could manage a smaller one, so who knows what's going on with Xbox design at all.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2013, 11:21:05 PM »

One thing about the new kinect.... why the hell is the optical sensor all the way to one side? It looks odd as hell and I refuse to believe that whole device is packed with equipment. Make it smaller!

Just add a speaker on the end and it would look like a sideways HAL 9000 ;)

On the other hand the XB1 is so much bigger than the PS4 because they had to go for an esoteric RAM set up that may've been a serious flaw in their console whereas Sony being more straightforward could manage a smaller one, so who knows what's going on with Xbox design at all.

Esoteric RAM setup?  They're using completely standard PC RAM.  If either of the two has an esoteric RAM setup it would be Sony, since 8 gigs of GDDR5 is completely unprecedented (though really, neither setup is all that esoteric...).  Unless you're talking about the embedded memory on the XB1, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the system.  It does affect the size of the CPU die, but then Sony went on spent that space on extra GPU units so the two chips are really about the same size.

Given that GDDR5 runs hotter and needs more cooling (which it does), if anything I would have expected Sony to have the bigger box.  But that's clearly not the case.  Wired did a teardown of an XB1 and there's a lot of just wasted space in there...normally console boxes are pretty packed but there's just empty space in the XB1.  It's weird.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: June 28, 2013, 02:29:46 AM »

I'm guessing its so that they can turn around and announce the Xbone Slim at next year's E3.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: June 28, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »

They're probably hoping there's no extra space on the tv stand for competing consoles
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: June 28, 2013, 01:01:28 PM »

Or MS said to hell with console design and decided to start moving back towards pc cases.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: June 28, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »

I'm guessing its so that they can turn around and announce the Xbone Slim at next year's E3.

Considering all the extra space in the Xbone... plausible.

Also if anyone hasn't seen it: "The Xbox One's pre-order disclaimer says “'Terms include binding arbitration with class action waiver to resolve disputes.' That means that if the Xbox One has a widespread issue like its predecessor's “red ring of death” (RRoD), the affected owners will have to sue Microsoft individually, rather than banding together in a class action."

Wonder if Sony has something similar?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: June 28, 2013, 08:10:33 PM »

Most EULAs contain that clause lately. Honestly I wish someone would get on their cases about it, because their presence just screams "Can they really do that?"

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: June 28, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »

Most EULAs contain that clause lately. Honestly I wish someone would get on their cases about it, because their presence just screams "Can they really do that?"

Unfortunately, according to the courts the answer is 'yes', which is the whole reason everyone started doing that lately...

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: June 28, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »

Xbone Slim is totally this guy:

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: June 28, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »

Unfortunately, according to the courts the answer is 'yes', which is the whole reason everyone started doing that lately...

They can put it in their EULA but that doesn't mean it'll hold up in court.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: June 28, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »

They can put it in their EULA but that doesn't mean it'll hold up in court.

That's the whole problem, though.  It did hold up in court.  The Supreme Court, in fact.

That's the decision that prompted this whole business.  Everyone started putting such clauses in everything once they realized they could get away with it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:09:57 AM by Kevadu » Logged

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: June 28, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »

They're probably hoping there's no extra space on the tv stand for competing consoles

They should have just made kinect a robot like rob. If it sees a playstation or nintendo console it picks it up and then drops it on the floor.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: June 29, 2013, 12:48:23 AM »

Wanted to get around to posting this, kept forgetting, and yes I'm awful but it fits.
http://www.dailybloggr.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/image13.png

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: June 29, 2013, 02:07:07 AM »

Ballmer is the current CEO of microsoft but GOOD EFFORT.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: