Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 02:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335279 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 33789 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: June 29, 2013, 02:10:41 AM »

I haven't seen anyone Godwin a thread at RPGFan since...

...actually, this is the first time. Bravo, you've just brought us down to Kotaku reader level shit.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 29, 2013, 10:59:54 PM »

Unless you're talking about the embedded memory on the XB1, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the system.  It does affect the size of the CPU die, but then Sony went on spent that space on extra GPU units so the two chips are really about the same size.

Given that GDDR5 runs hotter and needs more cooling (which it does), if anything I would have expected Sony to have the bigger box.  But that's clearly not the case.  Wired did a teardown of an XB1 and there's a lot of just wasted space in there...normally console boxes are pretty packed but there's just empty space in the XB1.  It's weird.

That's what I was getting at, the embedded ram, and I got the impression that as a result the APU would run hotter, the cooling notably IS centered on that. But I haven't looked into things too much, though it does sound like the GDDR5 Ram is slower and I THINK cooler, so perhaps that's a factor too.
Wanted to get around to posting this, kept forgetting, and yes I'm awful but it fits.
http://www.dailybloggr.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/image13.png

This is a really bad picture for so many reasons. Please avoid that sort of garbage in the future.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: June 30, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »

Ashtrot, I Godwin'd a Hearts of Iron 3 thread once :D

Anyway, does the empty space make a console more... protected from impacts? If it's packed it seemed like it'd be more prone to damage.

Then again maybe the empty space helps it keep cooler, too?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: June 30, 2013, 09:20:26 PM »

what shall the xbone use to fill the empty spaces where we used to talk? how shall master chief fill the final places? how shall joanna dark complete the wall?
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #589 on: June 30, 2013, 10:55:59 PM »

Then again maybe the empty space helps it keep cooler, too?

That was what I was thinking.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: June 30, 2013, 11:10:58 PM »

I AM JUST A NEW BOY. A STRANGER IN THIS TOWN.

(Also apparently Microsoft has no idea how fast their system actually runs

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-memory-better-in-production-hardware

The weird thing is how Microsoft doesn't seem to even know what their own system does. Raw performance doesn't matter. The PS2, afaik, wasn't as performant as the GC or XBox, and even the DC had some neat tricks that the PS2 didn't.

And the performance gap between the PS4 and XBone is ultimately NOT that great. And I mean I swear I'm not getting either anyway. So it's not the performance I'm interested -- it's the spin.

Because this really relates to what the company I'm with is doing.

And what the IT industry as a whole is doing.

And it's why I kind of hate the IT industry.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:57:05 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: July 01, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »

I AM JUST A NEW BOY. A STRANGER IN THIS TOWN.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/30/ouya-works-much-better-with-a-playstation-3-controller/

I HAVE NO GOOD CONTROLLERS, AND I MUST PLAY!

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: July 01, 2013, 12:57:53 PM »

"We Are Watching You" legislation could affect Xbox One

Xbox One Dashboard created "With Advertising In Mind"

Patrice Désilets: the future is digital, Microsoft just fluffed Xbox One message

Microsoft suggests Windows 8 apps may come to Xbox One

Microsoft names next free game for Xbox 360 Gold subscribers

Exclusive: Microsoft's Entertainment Head Don Mattrick leaving to take Top Role — Possibly CEO — at Zynga

Source(s): The Escapist, StickTwiddlers, Eurogamer, AllThingsD
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:15:31 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: July 01, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »

I imagine people are quite pleased with this result. Dude has not been making friends among gamers recently.
I do feel at least cautiously optimistic about the xbone now. It still needs to lose the mandatory kinect (as in no longer needs to be connected to run).
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: July 01, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »

I think making the Kinect a mandatory accessory included in the box was purely a financial decision. I'm almost positive it's the only reason for the extra $100 on the price and at this point I think they're trying to make back some of the money they've put into the development of the darn thing.

I mean, Microsoft was teasing the concept of the Kinect not long after the 360 launched and gave us a tech demo at least twice a year until it was finally released. And then... yeah, didn't exactly perform well, but unlike Sony's Move, Microsoft must have put a small fortune into the technology and can't let it just go the way of the Zune.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: July 01, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »

I imagine people are quite pleased with this result. Dude has not been making friends among gamers recently.
I do feel at least cautiously optimistic about the xbone now. It still needs to lose the mandatory kinect (as in no longer needs to be connected to run).

As if there weren't enough asswipes in Zynga already.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: July 01, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »

Now that Don Mattrick as CEO of Zynga has been confirmed.... something foul is in the air. Zynga is many things, but they certainly aren't stupid. So why would they want the guy that basically destroyed customer confidence in the XBox name? Especially considering that Zynga themselves aren't very well loved by the gaming community.

The simplest explanation would be that Mattrick is bringing over some of his Microsoft money and is personally investing it in Zynga.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: July 01, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »

I wonder if PS4 will go this route as well?  I hope not because I find it pretty annoying.

Now that Don Mattrick as CEO of Zynga has been confirmed.... something foul is in the air. Zynga is many things, but they certainly aren't stupid. So why would they want the guy that basically destroyed customer confidence in the XBox name? Especially considering that Zynga themselves aren't very well loved by the gaming community.

The simplest explanation would be that Mattrick is bringing over some of his Microsoft money and is personally investing it in Zynga.

They probably offered him a lot of money and he took them up on the offer.  I love some of the quotes online I've read:

"Wow, with stuff like EA and the Xbox One DRM launch on his resume, this guy should fit right in at Zynga! Welcome aboard, sir! "

"If you want to play FarmVille offline, we have a product for you - It's called "Agriculture.'"

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: July 01, 2013, 05:35:30 PM »

They probably offered him a lot of money and he took them up on the offer.  I love some of the quotes online I've read:

"Wow, with stuff like EA and the Xbox One DRM launch on his resume, this guy should fit right in at Zynga! Welcome aboard, sir! "

"If you want to play FarmVille offline, we have a product for you - It's called "Agriculture.'"

That, or he's trying to dodge a bullet by taking another one.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: July 01, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »

The PS3 actually *does* have the occasional advertisement, but usually it's for other Sony products and services and is very unobtrusive as it is with XBox 360.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: