Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 11:17:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341217 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 47 Print
Author Topic: XBOX: A New Generation Revealed, May 21st  (Read 37146 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: July 13, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »

And you all thought I was nuts about being worried about always on kinect.
If it's about any of this 'big brother' stuff, you are.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 13, 2013, 11:14:50 PM »

Well, if it makes you feel better about Ash's dismissal of your concerns, Yoda, that "big brother" stuff is 100% what I'm concerned about.  If they can watch and listen to you all the time, they can figure out how to target ads at you more specifically, so it absolutely makes financial sense for them to do so.  And what makes financial sense is what happens, regardless of whether it's nice or not.

The crazy thing about all of that stuff covered in the interview is that it really feels like they're only explaining the good side of all of it NOW, after everybody got pissed.  Like "oh, yeah, that whole DRM thing was to enable you to share games really easily with close friends and family."  Well, that's a great feature!  Maybe they didn't implement it in the best possible way, but it's still a great idea.  But we didn't really hear anything about that in the presentations where they said "you have to be online every day or you can't play any games," which is a terrible feature.  Sounds like lots of good stuff crippled by horrible communication.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: July 13, 2013, 11:17:36 PM »

I dunno, I think streaming video 24/7 of millions of living rooms around America (and eventually, the world) as unfeasible as a concept.

Now if you were talking about something like tracking your eye movements or body language while you were watching a commercial on the XB1 or something, I'd agree that that might be something they'd do.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 13, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »

I think more likely it'll happen with any video conversations or whatever, which is essentially what they've been ousted as doing anyway.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: July 14, 2013, 02:49:25 AM »

I really have to wonder...

Is anyone on this board actually entertaining the idea of getting this?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: July 14, 2013, 04:49:17 AM »

Only if I can sell it to someone for double the cost.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: July 14, 2013, 05:20:14 AM »

It came down to PS4 or Xbox One. I chose PS4, because it has the games I'm more interested in. If I had the cash I'd get a XB1 as well, but I don't.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: July 14, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »

I don't see anything I want for Xbox 1 and if it has to be online all the time, unless it has built in WIFI, i can't use it. I'm not rearranging my living room to make the cable from the computer reach over there every bloody day.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 14, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »

Not any time soon. A few years off maybe things will change, but for the immediate future I'd see no need for it over the PS4.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: July 15, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »

PS4 is certainly looking to be priority one, but I imagine over time I'll end up with a XBone as well. Similar to the last gen. I pretty much always end up with every console. It's all about having enough exclusive games to justify it. Way too early to say I'll never get one. Way too early for anyone to say that, really. Unless you never had a 360, and can't stand MS.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #640 on: July 15, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »

Definitely not getting an XB1. Microsoft has basically never (with the exception of Lost Odyssey on 360 and Phantom Dust on XB) catered to my tastes, and the type of experience they cultivated with 360 and are trying to cultivate on XB1 are 100% not for me. All the other stuff re: Kinect and their current exclusives (like the hilariously shitty-looking Ryse) pretty much confirm that this is a no-buy for me at launch, and their past with consoles confirms it'll stay a no-buy throughout its lifespan.

PS4, though, looks a bit more to my liking. I generally enjoy the Worldwide Studios games, I like the philosophy of the console, and several games look like I'll be on board.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: July 16, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »

Microsoft has basically never (with the exception of Lost Odyssey on 360 and Phantom Dust on XB) catered to my tastes, and the type of experience they cultivated with 360

'Game ecosystems' are interesting. The PS2's library was huge and varied enough that its game ecosystem never really took on any particular character, but if you look at the other three systems from that generation, there was something very distinctive about what the DC, GC, and XBox all got, and of the three, the XBox was just consistently the least interesting for me. I have one, I have gamers for it, there are some games for it I've liked quite a bit, but it wasn't a varied system -- the only big RPG I remember it getting was Fable, which was... about as immediately offputting to me as anything else Molyneux's touched since 1997... and a lot of his output before that, really, although there are some Bullfrog games I like -- and most of the games for it felt like they were made for people with chinstraps and popped collars. Whatever that means.

Actually most of the XBox games that interest me were cancelled dreamcast things anyway. Still planning on picking up JSRF, Otogi 2, and Ninja Gaiden Black whenever I see them in any case...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:20:54 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 16, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »

The real biggest RPG the Xbox got was Knights of the Old Republic, possibly followed by the sequel although given the state that was released in and the mods on PC it's better to go PC there. Well, it is too for KotOR1, but not as big of a deal.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: July 16, 2013, 10:59:49 PM »

The real biggest RPG the Xbox got was Knights of the Old Republic, possibly followed by the sequel although given the state that was released in and the mods on PC it's better to go PC there. Well, it is too for KotOR1, but not as big of a deal.

There was also Jade Empire but again, the PC was probably the better choice as well.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 18, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »

Since I'm not the crazy that reviewed Jade Empire on IGN initially I'd put KotOR above that. Though, yeah, Bioware more or less dominated for RPGs there.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 47 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: