Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Rift is great, and you have no excuse for not playing it.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Rift is great, and you have no excuse for not playing it.  (Read 2434 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »

Hi there.  My name is Daniel.  You might remember me from my years-long stint as the administrator of these boards, when I regularly banned fifteen people a week for crimes like having more numbers than letters in their user names.  I'm here today to talk about MMORPGs, and I have a question to start things off:  what's your favorite MMORPG?  Take your time, I'll wait.

Really?  I had a feeling you'd say that.  What's the thing you like the most about it?

Yeah, that's a pretty good feature, man...or it would be if this was 2007.  But this is 2013.  We've lived longer than the Mayans thought.  It's a brave new world, motherfucker.  And you're playing obsolete garbage.

See, there's a game out there called Rift.  Everything your favorite MMORPG does, it does it better.

Dungeon design?  Better.
World design?  Better.
Class mechanics? Infinitely better.
Casual play?  Better.
Hardcore poopsocking raids?  Better.
Story?  Better.
Visuals?  Better.
Lack of pandas?  Fucking better.
Crafting?  Bett-well, GW2's crafting is probably better, but it's as good as crafting ever gets.

I could go on and on.  Rift is to WoW what WoW was to Everquest: a refined and perfected version of its predecessors.  If you're playing anything else, you're playing something that's second best.

I can hear some of you already.  "B-but you have to p-p-pay a monthly fee and herp and derp and a bloo bloo bloo fdaiud0ufdjkay894y" Look man, you can play the first 20 levels right the fuck now with Rift Lite.  Twenty levels out of sixty for free ain't bad, bro.

And that won't even matter when the next major patch hits, because it's gonna go free to play.  Zero excuse.  Trion is giving you this game, man.

Read more about Rift at the offical website.  And then play it, because it is great...and you deserve greatness.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »

Hmm ive been looking for something new.  Ill give it a shot.  Any particular server I should pick, say, to play with other rpgfan guys and guyettes?

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »

Rift is a really well done MMO. I've played WoW, Rift and GW2 over the past year (not at the same time, but switching from one to the other) and my favorite of the three has been Rift. There's just something so inherently cool about the actual Rifts and joining up with random people to close them. If you tackle one that is appropriate for your level it can be really challenging and keeps you on your toes.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »

I tried Rift sometime last year and didn't really care much for it.  I think it was more that I was burnt out on leveling new characters in MMOs than the game itself, but it did give me the same sense of leveling grind (as well as deja vu) the other games have.  I would say I'd give it another go, but I'd really like to give FF14:ARR a fair shake when it comes out this summer.

Some people were complaining fairly recently that things were going well for awhile after Storm Legion (the expansion) but a lot of key people in the company left and new content was coming out too slowly.  I'm curious if the dearth of new content is because they are getting ready for the F2P transition? 

I'm surprised they lasted so long without an expansion.  I know there were quite a bit of raids pre-SL which probably was challenging/daunting to new players.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »

i got dreadfully bored of RIFT when I reached the upper 30's and after I stopped playing it, unlike other MMO's I've stopped playing in the past, have had no desire to go back to it. The rift events start feeling like a tired shtick and the quests provide very little motivation other than to get rid of the quest indicator. I'm also getting a little tired of MMO's thinking giving players the option to take on multiple roles per character is the grand solution to player boredom. Having a specific role is what makes you and your character feel useful. If everyone can do multiple roles, than people just keep playing with their chums and kind of turns a massively multiplayer game into a local multiplayer RPG.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 05:20:46 AM »

I recently logged in and made a new elementalist after what seems like forever. Now that its going FTP, it'll propably get more of my time. Kinda burned out on GW2 lately.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »

I would play Rift again but you will stop playing in about a week Daniel. Just like every other MMO I have played with you. You suck.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 12:49:04 AM »

I would play Rift again but you will stop playing in about a week Daniel. Just like every other MMO I have played with you. You suck.

I'm kinda feeling GW2 again. I started playing around a few days ago when I was home sick and really found it enjoyable.

I'd love to start playing MMOs again with some of you folks....just need to maintain our consistency this time around.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:22:11 AM »

I started messing around on Deepwood. I like the skill system.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 04:04:21 AM »

Non-console....next please.

TASTY!
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 08:44:54 AM »

Jokes on you, bitch.  I'm one month into a six month subscription. :P

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »

Lack of pandas?  Fucking better.

My dad's a panda and I find your racial slurs really insulting.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 01:48:28 AM »

Fuck you. It's downloading. WHere should I go and what is your name?

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »

Head over to Deepwood.  Faction doesn't matter much aside from aesthetics these days, but I'll certainly have an easier time getting to you if you play Defiant.  Look for me on either Skullflower or Randgrith, most likely the latter.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 10:29:59 AM »

Ok, I moved to that sever. Level 18 cleric named Bhaelros

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: