Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 08:32:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327283 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Wishful thinking: What would you want in a hypothetical Grandia 4?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Wishful thinking: What would you want in a hypothetical Grandia 4?  (Read 1533 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »

Before I answer the question at hand (which was inspired by a Grandia song just randomly popping into my head and realizing we haven't had a new Grandia game in forever), allow me some exposition:

What I liked about the first two Grandia games was that they were personal journeys for the protagonists.  For Justin, it was a coming-of-age journey and convenient plot devices be damned, we saw him come of age.  For Ryudo, it was a journey of redemption; sappy endgame sequence be damned, Ryudo did find that being a festering cynic is not quite synonymous with being a realist and that there are positive aspects to reality too.  I don't recall any journey theme for whatshisface in Grandia Xtreme.  And Grandia 3's Yuki... it could, nay SHOULD, have been a simple journey of a boy chasing his dream and leaving the nest.  A good theme to tie into that could, nay should, have been his mom's psychological journey coming to grips with her son becoming a man and not her little boy any more (though any mom will always view her son as "her little boy" no matter how old he gets.)  A simple tale of a boy, his plane, and the changing dynamic of his relationship with his mom.  But it definitely didn't happen that way.  

My wishful thinking would be that the next Grandia game returns to form where the theme is a personal journey for the protagonist.  And even more wishful thinking would be to have the next Grandia game have a female protagonist, but that's probably stretching it.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:18:11 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »

I'd like for the more adventurous theme to return.  This would be my dream, because it's handled extremely well when used in parallel with Justin's growth. I loved that I was just as surprised at seeing what was over the end of the world and, later on, across the sea, as Justin and Feena were.

I also liked the magic systems in 1 much better than 2 and 3, so I'd prefer if something with elemental experience was used again. 
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »

A good story and likable characters.  3 certainly failed there
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »

Grandia 3 did one thing right: make the protagonist feel like a freaking awesome swordmaster ninja.
Yuki + Flash + berserker + faster move & attacks + teleport shoes + chain last hit into air combo

It's just incredible to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XZ2V2T4zp7E#t=276s
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:15:17 PM by Annubis » Logged
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »

I also liked the magic systems in 1 much better than 2 and 3, so I'd prefer if something with elemental experience was used again. 

I thought it was the worst part of the game. It managed to make a really easy game feel grindy as you mindlessly cast useless spells over and over.
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:38:12 PM »

I'd honestly just like the see the game get made. All of the Grandias were really fun in one way or another. So if I trust that if they EVER decide to do another one, it'll be just as entertaining.

If I had to pick one distinct thing they could add to it to make even better......I wouldn't mind some fabulous double attacks. :)

pigTails of...
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »

@Annubis: Reminds me of Strider Hiryu.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:18:50 AM »

And even more wishful thinking would be to have the next Grandia game have a female protagonist, but that's probably stretching it.  

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

*catches breath*

....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

*catches breath again*

ha!

Anyways, all I want is for a better game series to lift the battle system whole sale, or failing that, a new series be created that's built around said battle system.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »

The battle system. That's all you really need.

Grandia Xtreme proved a Grandia game can have wretched voice acting, sub-par in game models, and a lackluster plot; yet still be quite fun to play if the Grandia IP system continues to be tactical and engaging.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 12:41:39 AM »

Besides wanting the developers/publishers/whomever to cough up cash for Iwadare to write music for an Orchestra again...

I would not object to another coming-of-age story like the first Grandia. Personally, I would have it where there are two love interestes to chose from, with the option of choosing one of them half way down the road. After choosing, the other choice separates from the group--taking with them one or two of the other party members with them--and the hero is left to their choice and perhaps other party member(s).

Along the way of the journey, perhaps the hero begins to feel second thoughts on their decision, as well as feeling betrayed/uneasy on the speedy departure of not only the other choice, but the party members that accompanied the other love interest as well. Perhaps the hero made the wrong the decision? Every now and then, the player will have the opportunity to shape the hero's thoughts whether they made the right decision or not through choices in dialogue.

About 3/4th into the game, the hero would have the opportunity to bail on their love interest of choice, leaving them and the other party members that stayed with the group/joined along the way. This path, the Indecisive path, would have the player traverse alone for a short bit, until introducing a new love interest character, as well other new/returning party members along the way. This third love interest would act as a replacement for the other two.

From there on, the ending of the game is determined by whichever love interest the player chose, as well how confident the hero made the right decision when picking that love interest.

Of course, the point in all of this is that there were no wrong decisions on any of the choices, only the indecisiveness--or Steadfast Conviction--of the player.

Hrm...this actually deviates from anything Grandia-like. Never mind! I'm keeping this for my own game. :P

Oh, and I would keep Grandia 1's battle system and graphics (by that, I mean an upgraded/better quality cartoon-like images).

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:25:04 AM »

I'd like a grandia that consists of the first 75% of grandia 2 and the last 25% of grandia, and the characters consist of Ryudo pre-bitch, Mareg, Justin post-bitch, and Gadwin....scratch that, just Gadwin and Mareg. Keep.the battle style and feel of 3, but take out the STUPIDLY FUCKING INSANE amounts of hp bosses had. Those fights took forever, and generally consisted of using the critical command every round, unless you had enough sp for the generic cancel sp move or a good sp move. Also, magic is w/e, so just throw one of the games' magic systems in there. 2's was least offensive and least weird, so I guess that works.

TASTY!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 06:42:54 AM »

My wishful thinking would be that the next Grandia game returns to form where the theme is a personal journey for the protagonist.   

Yeah, I thought they did a really good job of progressing Justin's character through the game.

Personal journey for the protagonist and G1's battle system and I'd be happy.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 07:44:56 AM »

Grandia holds a special place in my heart because I grew up watching a couple of the Ghibli films and my favorite was always Castle in the Sky. Grandia was like playing a Ghibli film...it captured that childish adventure feel so great. The best I can hope for is that they make another game that captures that feel for a new generation, because it's probably impossible to do that for an adult.

But then, Pixar movies are always praised for being able to do just that.

Also this theme is amazing.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 10:15:13 AM »

but take out the STUPIDLY FUCKING INSANE amounts of hp bosses had. Those fights took forever, and generally consisted of using the critical command

The "Eye of Valmar" still makes me all :/ -faced.
I swear it was one of "those" bosses that gives you a harder time than the final one.

I think the series would be a great title to come back.  But man the RPG's of yesteryear ....feels like we won't see an era like that again and we cling to the few survivors (Tales, SMT, FF[??])

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 10:30:58 AM »

I didn't find the bosses to have too much HPs =/
I mean if you make Yuki a badass melee or spend some mana with Alfina or the other chick, you have a pretty badass damage output.
Maybe I grinded my skills / spell eggs more than the usual player (?)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: