Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 06:35:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Wishful thinking: What would you want in a hypothetical Grandia 4?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Wishful thinking: What would you want in a hypothetical Grandia 4?  (Read 1851 times)
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »

I also liked the magic systems in 1 much better than 2 and 3, so I'd prefer if something with elemental experience was used again. 

I thought it was the worst part of the game. It managed to make a really easy game feel grindy as you mindlessly cast useless spells over and over.

That was my main complaint too. It got really boring casting status effects repeatedly just to unlock better spells.

I haven't played 3 so I can't comment (it wasn't released in PAL-land), but I'd like there to be some degree of difficulty in a potential sequel. 1&2 gave you this fantastic battle system but wasted it by giving you almost no challenge whatsoever.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »

I can't remember 3 being any harder than 1 or 2, though honestly I can't remember much about it period since it is fantastically forgettable.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »

It was only in 3 where I found boss health annoying. 2 and 1 were easy comparitively. Grandia 2's final boss was a cakewalk btw, I swear I never found any difficulty fighting him.

Grandia 3 is actually the one grandia where I was significantly overleveled for everything. I still found bosses annoyingly long, but never challenging.

TASTY!
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »

I'm so iffy on the Grandia series.  The first one has a lot going for it, but spell leveling is annoying and it kinda devolves into "crazy demon destroying world" at the end.  The second one has totally uninteresting characters other than Ryudo and his two lady sidekicks, but has a stellar battle system.  The third one had a really interesting opening, with Yuki proving himself to his mother, in addition to that great combat... but oh sweet Moses was it a generic boring RPG in the end. 

So what do I want out of a third Grandia game?  Grandia has always had decent dungeons and skill systems with AWESOME combat, so keep all that.  Give us characters that aren't your typical teenagers or outcasts - Ryudo was great because he isn't a typical teenager searching for adventure and Miranda was great because she wasn't your typical "mother of the main character."  I'm not saying rewrite the book on every anime archetype, just... give us fully-realized characters that aren't obviously destined to be footnotes on tvtropes.com page. 

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 05:30:29 PM »

Aeolus- What, I'm not allowed some wishful thinking, even if it's a little "pie in the sky?"  

I'm definitely with many of you about music.  With the Grandia games, I found myself loving and remembering the battle themes, but almost never the dungeon themes.  Grandia 2's final boss music is one of my all time favorite final boss themes.  The boss music from when you fight Mareg is excellent.  Though my favorite boss music is from Grandia 1 when you battle Nana, Saki, and Mio simultaneously.  It combines my favorite battle theme from that game with their whimsical theme and it's killer.  

Grandia Xtreme may have been a meh game, but I agree with you folks that it had perhaps the best take on the Grandia battle system.  Oh, and anything over "spell grinding" any day.  

As for the topic at hand, I already said what I'd want in a hypothetical new Grandia game.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:44:34 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »

Aeolus- What, I'm not allowed some wishful thinking, even if it's a little "pie in the sky?"  

Given how many seconds and thirds the idea got from the metaphorical suggestion box that is this thread, I think the pie is sitting somewhere outside of the solar system.

I think you'd have better luck hoping for a Suikoden sequel that isn't about time traveling monster hunters.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 12:51:12 AM »

When it came to Grandia's magic system I found Xtreme to actually have the best one of the four titles.

Their mana egg fusion system allowed for pretty fairly balanced magic power-to-boss difficulty ratio. The natural rate of discovery for eggs resulted in just the perfect level of spells to deal with whatever boss was sent your way. And unlocking the strongest magics not only took time (unless you did insane early level grinding) but felt incredibly rewarding to discover. (I do Xtreme with no mana egg charts; and it's always a fresh feeling of joyful discovery when I figure out how to make one of the hyper eggs of doom on my own.)

Unlike 3...where as soon as you could fuse eggs you were able to create boss ending spells quite easily. XP

I actually don't remember much of 2's system. I think I ignored magic for the most part there. 1 was indeed a horrid grindfest in the late game. Plus there was always that feeling of getting screwed if you missed too many mana eggs and gave the ones you did find to party members who wound up perma-leaving. XP Such a dirty move. Always resulted in resets with that member never getting ANY eggs to account for it and refusing to give new people eggs until enough hours passed to be sure they weren't temp members. Pretty sure the game gives you more than enough for everyone but if you're not using a guide...you feel cheated.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 05:27:33 AM »

Grandia 2 is the game that handled leaving characters the best I've ever seen.

Oh? That guy left? Let me unequip everything he had, then give you an item which will transfer all the xp he had then one other item to transfer all the move xp he had.
Enjoy~~~
(oh yeah, and you know that attack boost move you spammed at every boss? Let me unlock an ever more awesome version of that on another character)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:34:58 AM by Annubis » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 05:46:37 AM »

I wish most games would have some form of thing that characters leave behind that gives stat boosts based on their level and stuff like that.
A lot like synthspheres in Dark Cloud.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: