Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 06:55:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329224 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A thread about cars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A thread about cars  (Read 757 times)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »

I'm getting a car soon because life demanded me to get one.
Out of curiosity what cars do you guys like or have had and stuff like that?

Code:
right now leaning towards: Hyundai Accent sedan, Toyota Corolla S, or something Mazda
originally had in mind: something VW-ish, maybe Honda, preferably a 4d hatchback or sedan, something compact

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:22:21 AM »

Are you buying new or used?  It's kind of important.

Also, where do you live?  Not all cars are available everywhere...

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:04 AM »

First car I bought (back in '96) was a Geo Prizm with 120,000 miles on it.  I loved that car.  It was great, sun, rain, or snow.  Then I rear-ended some van and that was the end of that car. :(

Then I bought a used Mazda 626 from a rental car company (in '98).  It was OK.  Got the job done, but I never loved it.  Transmission went out in '04 and got flaky again in '05. "Screw that crap," I said, and traded it in while I still could.  I drive rental cars a lot now, and I would never buy one, because I know how people treat them.

Bought a new Prius at that point, and I've still got it.  Love it even more than I loved my Prizm.  Gas mileage is swell, but that's just one thing I like. It holds a crapton of stuff, it has a smart key that means getting in is easy even when my hands are full and that I can never lock the keys in the car, it works well in all road conditions, it's got a nice amount of passenger space, etc.

(On the gas mileage: I average 50 MPG normally, 40 if I'm doing 80 on the freeway on a roadtrip.  Yes, I am aware that some people get this mileage from their non-hybrid cars.  No, I do not care, because that's not the one singular thing about my car that I like.  And I made back the extra that I spent on it over the other car I was considering years ago.)

My mechanic brother-in-law swears by Toyotas and Hondas.  His personal favorite, I believe, is the Accord.  Dependable, low-maintenance, good gas mileage, etc.  It's not the flashiest car around, but you never have to worry that it won't get you where you're going.  He and my father-in-law, who is also a mechanic, both agree that the least-dependable brand generally purchased in the US is Jeep (because of how often they see them in the shop).

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »

My first car, back in 1996, was a 1986 Toyota Corolla SR-5 coupe with about 67K miles on it.  LOVED that car.  I'm willing to bet that even now, I could start that car and the engine would fire up immediately.  

Over the years I've had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix (solid car, but the front passenger door panel was poorly fit and once the car god flooded), a 1994 Buick LeSabre (that car was nothing but trouble), a 2003 (I think?) Mercury Sable that started out amazing but pretty much crapped the bed after 75,000 miles.  

That's when I decided no more American cars for me.  In my family's experience, American cars all did fine till about 75,000 miles, then they crapped the bed ('cept the Chrysler LHS my dad had years ago.)  I'm all about Japanese cars now, because that's what I liked best.  

I currently drive a 2010 Honda Fit and I LOVE it!  I named it Faye Valentine and have a picture of Faye hanging from my mirror, because my car's headlights look like anime eyes and it's the color fo Faye's hair.  If I were to get another vehicle, I'd probably want something like a Honda Pilot or a Nissan Murano to haul lots of gear/people AND have some towing capacity for a tow-along.  The Murano seems to have better specs.  My Fit can hold a lot of stuff, but it struggles under a heavy load.  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:09:45 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Reading: TBD

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »

Are you buying new or used? It's kind of important.

Also, where do you live? Not all cars are available everywhere...

This was mostly just an idea for people to share and not so much about helping.
I was thinking used but right now I may have a pretty solid (14,016) deal on a new (Kia Rio) car and ohio.

Popular opinion does seem to be that american cars suck, and speaking of Honda fits, my mom has one and adores it.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 11:20:36 PM »

Just bought a 2014 Mazda CX5 Touring edition with the tech package. <3

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »

That looks pretty nice, man!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 11:02:52 AM »

I have a 2012 ford focus. it was cheap, gets good reviews, and it looks pretty good for a budget car. Decent mileage. I don't drive enough to warrant spending 30+ on a hybrid.

I should've got the hatchback for added space when buying shit
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »

Thanks! I had a 2007 Nissan Versa but it started having issues. I decided to go look and really liked the feel of the CX5. It rides like a car and has the capacity for stuff. With 28avg miles per gallon right now I am excited. I was getting around 33 on the highway. My versa was not nearly as good.

It is black on black with tinted windows. I am gangsta

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »

I used to have a Jeep (ok, my mom did, but she drives never), that thing generously filled up 3/5ths of a tank on $40..... gas guzzler, but I loved the fuck out of it.  I could take on a curb no problem.

Now we have a Chevy Sonic.  I'm actually more scared in this tiny car than a bigass Jeep (rearview is espciaylly bulky and hard to look back at).  But the gas mileage is about 1000x better.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »

My mom drives a Saab. I don't know what the fuck my dad drives I haven't talked to him in months.

Meanwhile, I don't and never have had a drivers license, but in a weird twist of irony, I sort of work on a project commissioned for <state's> Department of Motor Vehicles.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 12:07:58 PM »

I have a 2012 Hyundai Sontata and I love that car. I have the tech and sunroof package. Drives like a champ and is really comfy too!

Before that I had a 1998 Toyota Camry and that also was a badass car. Rarely gave me any problems and I put it through the ringer. One time I slammed into a handicap pole in a freak accident, had $7000 in dent repair, and I WAS NOT HURT. Built like a tank.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: