Author Topic: Random VGM

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: Random VGM
« Reply #525 on: January 11, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
2nd overworld

That is indeed a very good overworld track.
FFIV's overworld theme is still my absolute favorite of all overworld themes, though.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 12, 2017, 02:29:50 AM »
I can't believe how good Tecmo Secret of the Stars OST was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zym5D2ub51c&list=PL62982C2BA4F03D93&index=12

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 12, 2017, 11:19:29 PM »
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:56:31 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 20, 2017, 06:48:42 AM »
One of my fave tracks from Lunar: Eternal Blue, Leo's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoxVEcSofy4

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #529 on: January 20, 2017, 09:51:46 PM »
I feel like the music in the Pokemon games doesn't get enough credit.  Those games have massive soundtracks that have all been consistently good.  And if you listen to them, this is not simplistic 3-chord compositions.  This is complexly composed music here. 

Even the chiptune music created for the Game Boy games, the Trainer Battle theme in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal has more dynamics and changes in a couple of minutes than I've seen in some bands' entire albums:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbCtVIDMEAs (The lick at the 1:05 mark has been stuck in my head for years now.)

Am I the only one who doesn't dig chiptunes?   Even with how great some songs are... otherwise FF Legend II would be my favorite OST ever
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #530 on: January 20, 2017, 10:03:43 PM »
Did you listen to the two I listed at the bottom of that post, where live musicians play those tunes? 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:18:25 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 22, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 23, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »
I don't care much for chiptunes, either.  Original 16-bit music can be great, but modern chiptune compositions tend to be overdone and lack the charm of their ancestors.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 24, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »
modern chiptune compositions tend to be overdone and lack the charm of their ancestors.

I agree with this. When it comes to chiptunes, less is usually more.

I can (and do) appreciate chip tunes, but you wouldn't find me bumpin' 'em in my car, or anything. Well... except for this one album I have, which is 8-bit chip tunes mixed with metal-style drumming. Pretty cool.
I would assume a large part of the appreciation of chip tunes in general comes from age...

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 24, 2017, 09:43:43 PM »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 25, 2017, 12:55:11 AM »

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 25, 2017, 06:52:32 PM »

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 09, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #539 on: February 09, 2017, 05:42:35 PM »
Thunder Force II for Genesis was a great game with incredible music.  The title theme is still one of my all time favorites.  Here is a link to the title theme and the YouTube playlist of the game's soundtrack. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL55F929D56BBF80E6&v=vkC3kY0TdoM
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun