Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:21:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Historical/art note on Bioshock Infinite - hopefully no real spoilers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Historical/art note on Bioshock Infinite - hopefully no real spoilers  (Read 2341 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »

I finally picked up Bioshock Infinite recently and have been playing my little heart out, and I ran across an art reference in the game that I thought most people wouldn't get.  In fact, I only get it because one of the podcasts that I listen to (History According to Bob) is currently discussing the US revolutionary war.  Yep, wrong war for Bioshock Infinite's timeframe of 1912.  And if somehow it's not wrong because of time travel or alternate dimensions or aliens or evil wizards, I don't want to know.

At one point in Bioshock Infinite, you visit an exhibit about the Battle of Wounded Knee, and you see this statue:

That statue is a reference to a painting called The Death of Jane McCrea.

Jane McCrea was killed in the US Revolutionary War while in the custody of a couple of Native Americans, who were supposed to be bringing her to a loyalist camp where her fiance worked.  (That is, a camp of British supporters.)  Her death was hyped up enormously for anti-British propaganda purposes.  Here's the Wikipedia article about her, in case you'd like a little more detail.

The Battle of Wounded Knee, on the other hand, was fought in 1890, and was the last battle of the American Indian Wars.  It's also known as the Wounded Knee Massacre, and it was an ugly affair.  The US 7th Cavalry surrounded a camp of Lakota, and while they were disarming the Lakota, a gun went off.  Startled, the troops started firing into the crowd, killing hundreds.  Presumably, anyone who was actually there would not look back at it as a proud day.  Here's the Wikipedia article about it, in case you'd like more detail.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »

This is really cool. :D I like it when I get taught a little history in an easy to understand and interesting way.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: