Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 08:27:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329969 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Guilty Gear Xrd
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Guilty Gear Xrd  (Read 4036 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:26:17 AM »

The trailer blew me away, at least on a technical level.  I had to watch and rewatch it, in utter disbelief...these are really 3D character models?  I have no idea if I'll even play the game (Frankly, super-technical fighters aren't my thing.  P4A was enough for me...), but I'm just amazed by what they were able to accomplish.  With the Unreal engine, no less...

I have a lot of respect for ASW's games, even though I suck at them.  I'm just really interested to see what they do with this tech.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 04:40:13 AM »

It's pretty, but it's still guilty gear. Not a fan of the 2000 rehashes they made in the last decade, and never really liked the game to begin with. That being said, again, it does look pretty.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:38:32 AM »

Well that's rather dismissive.  While it's certainly true that there have been many versions of Guilty Gear, that's a problem most fighting games seem to suffer from.  But this game is something completely new.  It's a big change in direction.  And there hasn't been a really new Guilty Gear in a very long time now. An appropriate analog would be the jump to Street Fighter 4 (another franchise that always had way too many iterations...), except without abandoning the style and presentation of the previous games.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 05:46:31 AM »

I'm a little biased about GG honestly, I've played a number of them and never liked any of them, especially the storyline.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »

THE KING IS BACK! \(@ ̄∇ ̄@)/

(Frankly, super-technical fighters aren't my thing.  P4A was enough for me...)

Never had the chance to play P4A but for what I've saw it didn't looked crazy complicated.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 09:36:23 AM »

I'm a little biased about GG honestly, I've played a number of them and never liked any of them, especially the storyline.

I think its lore has a chance to be really great and fleshed out if it follows Blazblue with its focus on narrative and excellent if it goes beyond that.
This series has a lot of potential laying dormant imo.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »

I nearly died when I heard the trailer go.... X-U R D.

I don't see the point of making excellent 3D models look like 2D besides abiding to some hard animation tradition (that's made moot with 3D graphics), but it is really impressive nonetheless.  Sol Badbuy is still a stupid name, and Ky looks more effiminate than ever....but despite all that, I'm extremely curious, I liked the first series quite a bit.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »

Dice I know this is shocking but some people actually like the anime look *gasp*

Full 3D just isn't the same.  Fantastic trailer
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:24 AM »

I don't see the point of making excellent 3D models look like 2D besides abiding to some hard animation tradition (that's made moot with 3D graphics), but it is really impressive nonetheless.

Is fair to assume that with the visual style that GGXrd is going the game itself might age well over time in comparison to SFIV that looks like a goddamn mess already.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the "Xrd" name comes from avoiding the 'XXX' that would come after Guilty Gear XX.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:53 AM »

Dice I know this is shocking but some people actually like the anime look *gasp*

Full 3D just isn't the same.  Fantastic trailer

No need to get snooty there, I post in the anime thread y'know, so I'm not attacking it -- I just find it strange.  I was also thinking if there are some better mechanics that work in 2D than 3D.

I thought the trailer did a great job with the zoom in, since at first I thought it was impressive 2D work at first....only to be 3D.  I thought it was almost agreed upon that Street Fighter IV *was* a bit of a mess to begin with (whereas it's good, but certainly 3rd Strike even aged better).

And yeah, I figured that with the title...but man, it just sounds weird when you say it out loud. x)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:46:43 AM by Dice » Logged

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »

ky's samurai ponytail looks horrendous on him

not buying it
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »

Is fair to assume that with the visual style that GGXrd is going the game itself might age well over time in comparison to SFIV that looks like a goddamn mess already.

well SFIV looked awful from the start :P
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

Frankly, super-technical fighters aren't my thing but I'm just amazed by what they were able to accomplish.  With the Unreal engine, no less...

I have a lot of respect for ASW's games, even though I suck at them.  I'm just really interested to see what they do with this tech.

Mechanically speaking, I'd be shocked if it turned out like Guilty Gear.  It's probably going to be more friendly to learn like Blazblue is.  Just the fact that it's obviously going to be built with the idea of net play in mind means they are probably going to loosen things up a bit due to latency.

Yeah, the unreal engine caught my eye too.  Curious.  Watching it again, trailer does look awesome though.  Glad to see they included Millia at the end <3.

It's pretty, but it's still guilty gear. Not a fan of the 2000 rehashes they made in the last decade, and never really liked the game to begin with. That being said, again, it does look pretty.

The rehashes really were just updates just like SF4 series has received these past few years.  I'd like to say that technology held them back from doing so and most of the updates would have just been DLC addons in todays world, but the 3 and soon to be 4 disc updates of Blazblue say otherwise.

I don't see the point of making excellent 3D models look like 2D besides abiding to some hard animation tradition (that's made moot with 3D graphics), but it is really impressive nonetheless.  Sol Badbuy is still a stupid name, and Ky looks more effiminate than ever....but despite all that, I'm extremely curious, I liked the first series quite a bit.

Could be a tradition thing.  I'm not into the technology that goes into it, but it could also be a FPS issue.  If any frames drop, hell would break loose as no one would seriously play it until they fixed it.  Could also be a speed issue as characters move pretty fast in anime games.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the "Xrd" name comes from avoiding the 'XXX' that would come after Guilty Gear XX.

Seems quite possible.  Good thinking.

I was also thinking if there are some better mechanics that work in 2D than 3D.

2D is definitely speedier which is pretty important.  Also anime games often have unique character mechanics that might not translate well to 3D.

Lmao.  I thought the same thing.  I wonder if the Ky army is going to disband???

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »

I thought it was almost agreed upon that Street Fighter IV *was* a bit of a mess to begin with (whereas it's good, but certainly 3rd Strike even aged better).

3rd Strike is what many fighting games should aim to be.

Alpha 2 and 3 are also damn good.

well SFIV looked awful from the start :P

It has decent art direction at least. :p
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:23:51 PM »

Lmao.  I thought the same thing.  I wonder if the Ky army is going to disband???

I think the fact is ponytail has it's own wedding veil is kinda funny.

Can't wait to see the rest of the cast though.  I wonder if Potemkin got larger, Baiken went all Battousai, Milla shaved her hair, and if we'll get a character based on another rockstar (my pick: David Bowie....or Stephen Tyler's lips).

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: