Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:19:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319179 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Conventions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Conventions  (Read 451 times)
Syn
Shenanigans

MisterDBarton
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:50:53 PM »

Anyone attend anime conventions? I ask because I'm going to Anime North in Toronto this weekend. It will be our 5th time going, though we skipped last year so I'm EXTREMELY excited to go this year. When we first started going about 6 years ago attendance was like 10-12k, and now it's ballooned to 20K+ and they have to cap weekend passes, crazy.

Personally, I like see the cosplayers, especially the ones that you can tell put a lot of effort into their outfit.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 11:51:52 PM »

I usually go to Sakura-con since I live in Seattle and it's right there (even did the staff thing one year, but then I decided that was way too much work and I would leave it to others...).  Back when I lived on the east coast I would make the trek down to Otakon every year with members of my college anime club, but I haven't done that in a while.  Otakon was my first convention (of any sort) and is kind of what got me into the whole thing so I have some fond memories of it.  I'm not as regular about it but I've been to Anime Expo as well, and plan to be there this year too.

Outside of anime stuff there's PAX, of course, which I've been attending every year since like 2006.  Though with the way tickets for it sell out these days who knows if I'll be able to keep doing that...

I guess I'm quite the convention vet. when I look back on it.  But there's still a lot I haven't seen.  One of these years I do want to attend SDCC.  And I really do want to go to Comiket sometime...that ought to be a totally different experience...

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:01:49 AM »

I've been to every MAGFest since MAGFest IV in Charlottesville, VA, mostly because I attended university in Charlottesville and currently live in the DC area, where MAGFest has made its home the for several years.  That convention is great - I've had great experiences and met awesome people; I look forward to it every year. 

I've been to OtaCon, Anime USA, KatsuCon, and NekoCon exactly once each.  Found them ranging from unappealing to insufferable.  I'll stick to MAGFest, thanks. 

Syn
Shenanigans

MisterDBarton
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:35:12 AM »

I checked out Naru2u in Ottawa, ON Canada 3 years ago and it was...sad. It was small and I was expecting that, but it was inside the basement area of a Travellodge hotel, it wreaked of body odor, and was tiny, considering the price. I think it's grown slightly since then, but yeah, very disappointing. I'm quite happy with Anime North. The side is perfect for the Toronto Congress Centre, and they use the nearby hotels (literally across the street on three sides) for additional space for gaming, panels, and other activities.

I want to go to SDCC, but it sounds so...douche-y. And the tickets sell out quickly if I remember right. It almost sounds too big for its own good. I think I'd rather go to Anime Expo or Otakon.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »

I'm going to Otakon this year for the first time since 2009 and I'm pretty excited about it. Last year I went to PAX East, which was cool, but took a damn long time to get to.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: