Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 06:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334518 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  SQUARE ENIX Presents, Live Broadcast E3 Showcase
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: SQUARE ENIX Presents, Live Broadcast E3 Showcase  (Read 12433 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 08:54:28 AM »

Livealive remake

This is all I want

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »

Square Enix feel they have something to learn from Kickstarter -- Source: Siliconera

"Square Enix recently revealed that, despite being major hits, Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs failed to meet their sales forecasts. In a financial results briefing, Soon-to-be Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda explained the problem in more detail."

Square Enix: We will continue to pursue high-end game quality; new information to be shared at E3 -- Source: Nova Crystallis

"The full transcript from Square Enix’s financial briefing for the previous fiscal year is now available in English and with it a little more insight into the company's plans for the future."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:02:10 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »

For once I'm actually glad to hear what SE is saying. Even if things are somewhat of a mess in Japan, at least their Eidos branch and their other partners are doing awesome games. Of these games he mentioned, at least 2 are among my favorites for this generation.

Now what I trully hope is that they try to stay in touch with their consumers when they develop the next Final Fantasy. I'm one of the people that really enjoyed XIII but the more I play the game the more I see why there are so many people unhappy with it.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »

Now what I trully hope is that they try to stay in touch with their consumers when they develop the next Final Fantasy.

The SQEX hate machine is not going to stop for anything.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 05:36:03 PM »

the problem is their consumers are divided. some like the psuedo sci fi stuff and other want the ff9 style stuff back. though i think SE needs another guy like yoshi P. to work on console stuff.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »

^Yeah I've thought about that before.

Would be great if some new blood that knows the nuances of the series would get a big role to work on the non-MMO titles, that could bring some new life to the next big Final Fantasy but until that happens we have to keep waiting for E3 (and have hope in Nomura too I guess).
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 08:07:01 PM »

Square Enix to Increase Focus on Region Specific Games

Unfortunatley I can't read that as anything besides, "we're going to localize less stuff".

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 09:22:46 PM »

Unfortunatley I can't read that as anything besides, "we're going to localize less stuff".

At least they're not forcing Eidios into making games for only Japan.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »

It's a knife that potentially cuts both ways. They may localize less stuff (Bravely Default is NOT reassuring), but they may also stop this attempt at appealing globally with every title and just make what they feel is best and get it localized anyway. Probably depends on if Bravely Default actually does have a large enough base for them to go "ok, maybe we shouldn't be turning our backs on our traditional output."

Or they can at least get into the business of licensing their damn games out, it was understandable not to do that before, but now if they'd really rather be Eidos + FF then something has to give.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 11:22:20 PM »

I kinda wanna yell at Squeenix a bit too.

FF spin offs can be an amazing thing... but how many of those were actually good????

None of the Crystal Chronicle games ever pulled in AMAZINGs/10
The Mana series got butchered more and more with every new installment
FF13 was a game about hallways and machine gods; while FF13-2 was a time travel anime with cosplay people
NieR's numerous OSTs [probably] outsold the game (certainly its "musical-legacy" will anyways)
The 3rd Birthday ruined what the first two games built up and gave us the wrong heroine
Kingdom Hearts has become a dried up sponge.
FFXIV became a laughing stock that, literally, had a bomb dropped on it and remade
Type-0 was a major success but stayed in Japan
And the much anticipated Versus has had hype that's cooled off for a while (E3 had better get us excited for something).

Really, I honestly think some of their best reviewed stuff were re-releases from the generation before.

Is it sad that one of few things I really can't wait is a goddamn game I've already played (FFX/-2)??

They can say they're changing their strategy as much as they want, nothing changed the root of the problem and not asking "why aren't their game good"?
Most of their success has, without a doubt, come from Eidos.  Squeenix should be happy as hell to have them.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »

FF13 was a game about hallways and machine gods; while FF13-2 was a time travel anime with cosplay people

Eh, more or less.

The games themselves are based on the Fabula Nova mythology. By default the story of XIII and XIII-2 are just pieces of that mythology.

The only thing that really bothers me about XIII are the novels, all the novels (Final Fantasy XIII Episode Zero -Promise-, Episode i-, Final Fantasy XIII-2 Fragments Before and Fragments After) are canon to the story of the games and only "Episode i" has been officially translated.

"Episode Zero -Promise-" was fan translated before FFXIII was released in the west while Fragments Before and Fragments After have not been translated as far as I know.

The 3rd Birthday ruined what the first two games built up and gave us the wrong heroine

Was that a direct sequel anyway? I don't remember.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 12:38:44 AM »

3rd birthday was literal character assassination. 3rd birthday and other m both need to be retconned

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 01:11:29 AM »

So, a few points I'd like to make:

- He was probably just referring to the fact that they had some embarrassing attempts to reel in fans of "shooters" with Front Mission Evolved, Gun Loco, Mindjack, etc.
- And then the fact that they tried giving Nier global appeal by making him an adult.
- Nanashi no Game's localizing getting turned down for lack of guns and violence (etc etc) seemed to be a side effect of this mindset.
- Even a major FF (T-0) with a supposed localization couldn't get out of Japan, though one of its creators did want to port it to 3DS iirc.
- Most of the games they localized this generation were entries of their cash cow franchises (FF/KH) and mobile games, everything else (tri-ace stuff, tactics ogre, nothing else really comes to mind) seems like it did okay or below expectations.
- With that in mind how much less could they really localize with FF and KH doing generally better in NA than Japan?
- I think this new president mentioned something about wanting to focus on stuff that makes them money (for now at least?) and big budget games that try to have global appeal but fail to return expected profits are an obvious place to start with that.
- This old article is old but relevant and it seems to me like more or less at rock bottom.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2013, 01:30:53 AM »

- And then the fact that they tried giving Nier global appeal by making him an adult.

That wasn't even a bad decision...

- Even a major FF (T-0) with a supposed localization couldn't get out of Japan, though one of its creators did want to port it to 3DS iirc.

Any plans of making an HD version for console?

"We did think about how fun it would be playing Type-0 on a HD television. In fact we did experiment with it, and it was definitely submersive. But unfortunately, there are no plan as of yet."

If you were to make a continuation of Type-0, what kind of game would it be?

"During the creation of Type-0, if felt that it should have been a content high-end machine. If there is a continuation, it definitely would be for a high-end machine. So part of the world will be carried over, and some not; but not to the point of making the two unrelated, but playable by some one who has not played Type-0."

source

3DS version of Type-0 has never been a thing (not yet anyway).

- This old article is old but relevant and it seems to me like more or less at rock bottom.

First time I see this. :o
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:34:35 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2013, 03:52:59 AM »

That wasn't even a bad decision...

I never called it one, but it strikes me something probably wouldn't happen with this new president.

3DS version of Type-0 has never been a thing (not yet anyway).

Not a thing but actually like expressed interest in doing it, but rereading it now I just misread it/remembered wrong.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:59:33 AM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: