Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 04:03:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329495 Posts in 13500 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs where you don't save the world?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: RPGs where you don't save the world?  (Read 2467 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »

This is tough... I just went down a little mental checklist of my library and I feel like every game I can come up with disqualifies itself for one reason or another.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »

it's just because most RPGs have multiple people in your party and there are very few things that a lot of people can strive towards with the same sort of fervor. Saving something tends to be the stake.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »

The story will be low-level. We are not going to save the world, or even save a city. We are focused on the main character and his problems, or her problems.”

Thinking on it, when I played persona 4, I was more interested in the problems each character faced at the end of a dungeon rather than actually saving them. The game still has the whole saving the world vibe though.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »

I think you want Planescape:  Torment, sir.  Stories don't get more personal than that one.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 12:11:49 AM »

theres valkyrie profile covenant of the plume. its basically about wylifreds inability to accept his fathers death.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:39:21 AM by Alisha » Logged

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »

Alisha, why the hell would you recommend a game and spoil it in the same paragraph?
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »

posting after a 2, 9 hour works days :(

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 09:20:49 PM »

You can edit your post.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »

Fallout - it's already destroyed.

FF6

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »

Fallout - it's already destroyed.

FF6
How is FF VI *not* about defeating an insane all-powerful being to restore hope to the world and release its denizens from fear?  I'm pretty sure that counts as saving. 

Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 07:13:15 PM »

Secret of Evermore, just trying to get your butt back to Podunk!

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 09:31:01 PM »

If I remember correctly, don't you get sucked into an effort to save the world, though? I mean, sure technically it isn't the REAL world, but it is A world.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »

Dragon warrior monsters for the gbc is one of the few rpgs I can think of that saving the world doesn't factor into the plot at all. It's also imo the best game made for the gbc(yes, better than pokemans) so if you haven't played it, I'd say give it a shot. I heard they remade it for the 3ds too, it helps if you're a dragon quest fan as a lot of the previous games bosses appear as unlockable monsters.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 11:25:08 PM »

Shadowrun Returns-   It's not out yet (expected late June) but the main story will focus on investigating the murder of your childhood friend.  You're basically playing a criminal (shadowrunner).  And same goes for the Shadowrun games on SNES and SEGA GENESIS (which are two completely different games). 

Deus Ex: Human Revolution-  You play as an ex-cop who now works as a security expert for a corporation that develops cybernetic implants.   

Fallout 1 & 2-   You're not really trying to save the world... Maybe just the other survivors, but you have the option of being a total selfish creep if you want.

Planescape: Torment

The Witcher 1 & 2 (Probably stating the obvious since you mentioned CDProjekt in the OP, but still worth mentioning). 

Arguably Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic if you play an evil aligned character.  You're obligated to kill a few very dangerous villains at some points but you can absolutely play these games as someone who wants to rule / destroy the world rather than save it.   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:32:35 PM by daved » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 11:40:38 PM »

Dragon warrior monsters for the gbc is one of the few rpgs I can think of that saving the world doesn't factor into the plot at all. It's also imo the best game made for the gbc(yes, better than pokemans) so if you haven't played it, I'd say give it a shot. I heard they remade it for the 3ds too, it helps if you're a dragon quest fan as a lot of the previous games bosses appear as unlockable monsters.

Sorry, but Oracle of Seasons (and maybe Ages) says hello. Though I will agree that it is one of the best GBC games.

If I remember correctly, don't you get sucked into an effort to save the world, though? I mean, sure technically it isn't the REAL world, but it is A world.

No. Your dog starts poking his nose where it don't belong while you're foolishly standing on the telepad in an abandoned laboratory. Granted, you do manage to save almost everybody who got sucked into Evermore but that's because you had to blow the whole damn thing up to get out in the first place.

Also this thread is about end game spoilers for various games so a disclaimer about game spoilers inside would be the more prudent course of action instead of yelling at posters for posting spoilers.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: