Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:24:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332847 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A helpful (but long) video explaining the plot of Kingdom Hearts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A helpful (but long) video explaining the plot of Kingdom Hearts  (Read 1526 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:20:28 AM »

I know that it's popular to not like Kingdom Hearts, but even those of us who like it anyway can agree that it can be a pretty confusing storyline.  To help, GameTrailers posted this video a few days ago. It explains the whole series to date.  It's an hour long, but the first 22 minutes or so will give you all of the basic timeline details.  (I haven't finished watching yet, so I actually don't know what the rest of the video explains.)

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/g84vkz/timeline-kingdom-hearts

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »

They're doing an MGS one next time. They might need two hours for that one.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:37:28 PM »

They're doing an MGS one next time. They might need two hours for that one.

Wasn't this enough of a recap?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNrIn8H32c
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »

Wasn't this enough of a recap?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNrIn8H32c

That's a dumb Internet joke, not a recap.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 03:04:23 PM »

If someone was capable of figuring out the plot line to the Kingdom Hearts series, I'm sure the same person can find the lost city of Atlantis.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »

Kingdom Hearts plot is not as complicated as so many people make it out to be. I find it hilarious that anyone who has played either of the Valkyrie Profile games (particularly the second one) can call the Kingdom Hearts plot convoluted.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »

Would this help footnote the video? Kingdom Hearts Plot- Google Docs

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 05:40:21 PM »

I like that doc except for the fact that it doesn't use names.  That actually makes it more confusing for me.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »

The only complicated part of Kingdom Hearts was the addition of a bunch of games that add story that wasn't needed and entirely less compelling then the main story.

TASTY!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »

The only complicated part of Kingdom Hearts was the addition of a bunch of games that add story that wasn't needed and entirely less compelling then the main story.

I thought Birth by Sleep was quite good. Both by filling some plot holes and by actually being a good game when compared to the other non main title games.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 05:51:22 PM »

I suspect the overall plot consists of:

Sora becoming the Keyblade Master and getting the band back together.

The rest of the story consists of like a hojillion side plot threads that are almost complete tangents and are unlikely to ever receive a satisfactory resolution (if they ever get one at all) because Squeenix fucking loves soap operas and can't seem to find someone who can write worth a shit.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »

Squeenix also loves me not buying their games. The last game I bought from them was Deus Ex, and how much did they have to actually do with the making of that game?

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 06:31:55 PM »

So where do the nanomachines come in?

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »

If you think KH's plot hasn't become convoluted, we are just going to have to agree to disagree on what makes a coherent and enjoyable storyline. I love Kingdom Hearts to death, but that plot is an abomination. It's poorly paced, retconned to death, and full of meaningless and unnecessary convolutions that the scenario writers at Square seem to think are making the story more ENGAGING. They're not, they're turning it into unrelateable pulp anime schlock. The unneeded story added by the side games was fine when it was just Birth by Sleep and 358, but all that extra "stuff" has irrevocably changed the stakes and the scale of what is happening.

BbS had the story going in a fantastic direction, and then 3DS comes along and (spoilers)
Code:
Adds dream worlds, time travel, revives every character ever killed in KH2/CoM, and then still manages to not resolve anything. Oh, and let's not forget that out of nowhere, the Xblade is suddenly incredibly important and Xehanort's master plan is to clone himself several times, across time, which he somehow knew he'd need to do before he even could have known, in order to wield this blade, to bring about a Keyblade War for Reasons (TM). Oh, and all of the OXIII members are okay with being cloned on top of.

Yeah, no. KH's plot is a convoluted mess.

EDIT

And let's not forget how horribly they've marginalized Donald and Goofy, which is the most unforgivable crime of all.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:51:06 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 06:53:31 PM »

If you think KH's plot hasn't become convoluted, we are just going to have to agree to disagree on what makes a coherent and enjoyable storyline. I love Kingdom Hearts to death, but that plot is an abomination. It's poorly paced, retconned to death, and full of meaningless and unnecessary convolutions that the scenario writers at Square seem to think are making the story more ENGAGING. They're not, they're turning it into unrelateable pulp anime schlock. The unneeded story added by the side games was fine when it was just Birth by Sleep and 358, but all that extra "stuff" has irrevocably changed the stakes and the scale of what is happening.

BbS had the story going in a fantastic direction, and then 3DS comes along and (spoilers)
Code:
Adds dream worlds, time travel, revives every character ever killed in KH2/CoM, and then still manages to not resolve anything. Oh, and let's not forget that out of nowhere, the Xblade is suddenly incredibly important and Xehanort's master plan is to clone himself several times, across time, which he somehow knew he'd need to do before he even could have known, in order to wield this blade, to bring about a Keyblade War for Reasons (TM). Oh, and all of the OXIII members are okay with being cloned on top of.

Yeah, no. KH's plot is a convoluted mess.

EDIT

And let's not forget how horribly they've marginalized Donald and Goofy, which is the most unforgivable crime of all.

<3 this and your opinions.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: