Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 10:52:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329237 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Konami Pre-E3 Show 2013, June 6th
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Konami Pre-E3 Show 2013, June 6th  (Read 1448 times)
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 12:16:53 AM »

Actually really liked Lords of Shadow, mainly the boss fights were exhilarating(minus the shadow of colossus battles). The combat just flowed well and the castle environment was pretty awesome as was vampire chess. There was a lotta unnecessary padding though like the stage with the imp who steals all your stuff and you spend like 15 minutes getting it back. Saw the trailer for the sequel and played the 3DS one, curious to see some gameplay now. Other than that, not much they could show that would wow me besides new suikoden.

Actually, best moment in Lords of Shadow, in the music box and it starts playing remixed vampire killer, "Wait, IS DAT VAMPIRE KILLER?", I died quite a few times just to keep listening to that music.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:05:04 PM by kofvscapcom » Logged

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 01:35:28 AM »

I am a slave to the Metal Gear machine. I am not awaiting anything, but a ZOE, Silent Hill, Suikoden or Tak Fuji presentation could make me extremely excited.
A new Snatcher would restore my faith in everything
Also this.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »

^I don't know how anyone could get excited with anything about Silent Hill in the last 9 to 10 years, but to each his own.

And then my mind immediately went: ZoE3 !!!
If only...

Enders Project stopped, team disbanded -- Source: Gematsu

A new Snatcher would restore my faith in everything

SDATCHER Translation

"Sdatcher is a radio drama serving as a prequel to the video game Snatcher, originally directed by Hideo Kojima, who reprises the role for this project. Sdatcher is written by Goichi Suda and scored by Akira Yamaoka." -- Suda51 Wiki
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »

See what I mean guys. What's there to look forward to aside from more football soccer, and more Metal Gear?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »

Because we all know that Ubisoft is handsome and makes the best games on the planet. :p

Also. Is football, not soccer.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 01:40:11 AM »

^I don't know how anyone could get excited with anything about Silent Hill in the last 9 to 10 years, but to each his own.
Eh, I liked Downpour enough. I think Shattered Memories is extremely flawed, but pulled off the last third of the game very well. Was 4 in the last 10 years? I go against the grain and say that 4 is actually well made. I only played the games recently over the last 2 or 3 years and I did it in kind of a weird order so I think our experiences might be different.

Thanks for the SDATCHER translation, I didn't know that existed. I'll check it out over the next couple of days.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 08:42:52 AM »

I couldn't stand Shattered Memories. It's one of the most pointless remakes I've ever seen.

I saw the twist coming about halfway through the game and thought "aw man, I hope that's not it". But it was :/

The most interesting thing they've done this past gen has been Contra 4, and they only published that.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »

Eh, I liked Downpour enough. I think Shattered Memories is extremely flawed, but pulled off the last third of the game very well. Was 4 in the last 10 years? I go against the grain and say that 4 is actually well made. I only played the games recently over the last 2 or 3 years and I did it in kind of a weird order so I think our experiences might be different.

I'm going to make this as short as I can...

Konami and the people that were left in charge of the series didn't understood what the series was about once Team Silent were done with the series after Silent Hill 3 and were disbanded. Now what is known as Silent Hill 4: The Room didn't even started as something to be part of the series at first, it was supposed to be a brand new horror title, but then shit happens and the game was made to fit into the main story.

After that Konami was like "what is a Silent Hill?" and started giving the IP to studios that didn't even know what the fuck they were doing or working on and the entire series (which was finished after SH3 and 4) was run into the ground with shitty comics, shitty cell phone games, shitty movies and mediocre games that were supposedly be part of the main series.

So yeah. If they announce another random horror title with the Silent Hill name slapped in the front I wouldn't put much attention... unless they leave the IP to a competent studio to reboot the series somehow which would be refreshing at this point.

And honestly I am never going to defend Konami because they have never showed to give much of a fuck about their own IPs. The only good things they have going for them are Kojima Productions, MercurySteam and Tak Fujii.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 11:33:04 AM »

^ That's vague though, what made later Silent Hill games the "shit" they are today anyways?  Especially compared to what 1-3 did.  I'm not asking to be sarcastic by the way, I jsut didn't touch the later games (mainly because of shitty reviews)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »

That's vague though, what made later Silent Hill games the "shit" they are today anyways?  Especially compared to what 1-3 did.

They mainly didn't understood the main narrative of the series nor the way why Silent Hill made the horror it presented effective.

Silent Hill from the very beginning was aimed to an adult audience and they wanted the player to make sense of the story and horror presented in each of their games by themselves while they give all the clues necessary to understand what was going at the end.

Newer Silent Hill games are like bad american horror movies that tried really hard to capture what Team Silent did by copying Silent Hill 2, and they failed every time. Why? Because they were copying a game from a series that these developers didn't fully understand, and even if they did they should have noticed that these games were the creation of a very specific group of people that cannot be replicated easily.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 02:11:33 AM »

Yeah, Yggdrasil I know the history of the series and why fans don't like the newer games. My point was more that I have a different context with the series and I am probably approaching it from a different angle. The biggest thing is since I'm relatively new to the franchise I'm not tired of the crap. Now I totally agree with considering Homecoming and Origins. They were both extremely aweful. Origins is one of the worst game I've ever played, it has no creativity, it doesn't understand it's own heritage, it has terrible pacing and is tonally inconsistent. I almost didn't play the other games because of how bad these two were.

What I liked about Downpour is basically those games, but the gameplay isn't complete garbage and the story telling in the side-stories in open world segments is quite fun. I thought the story was a little too obvious and the emotional payoff wasn't quite there. It was still a copy of Silent Hill 2 ( a good game, but I thought it was okay. I liked it well enough. Whereas I actually like Shattered Memories and 4 because they were different from the main games. I saw the twist for Shattered coming, but for me it worked very well especially because I started down the sexual path, but overtime corrected it to the familyman path which made the resolution with Cheryl really touching and the mechanics reinforced the main storyline. Also the last mazes where extremely manic and fun. The middle dragged, the enemies weren't scary, the flashlight was underused, the segmentation was hamfisted and the references to SH1 took away from the game so I can understand someone disliking it. 4: The Room is very clearly not supposed to be Silent Hill, but I don't hold it against it. My biggest problem with the game is Henry Townshend seems like he's high all the time. I think it's better than SH1.

And honestly I am never going to defend Konami because they have never showed to give much of a fuck about their own IPs. The only good things they have going for them are Kojima Productions, MercurySteam and Tak Fujii.
All that said this is still true. Konami does not care and KojiPro and Tak Fuji are great. MercurySteam hasn't made a game I like, but I appreciate the art and the fact that they try.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »

Metal Gear Solid V trailer getting finalized, is for mature audiences only -- Unofficial Metal Gear Solid Site

As you can see, this trailer is rated for mature audiences only, unlike Peace Walker, which was rated for teen. Looks like we will see a pretty dark game.

This is a comment Kojima made on that earlier:

"I'm going to be targeting a lot of taboos, a lot of mature themes, that really are quite risky. Honestly, I'm not even sure if i'll be able to release the game! [...] As a producer, it's my job to try and sell the game. But I'm approaching this project from the point of view of a creator, where I'm prioritizing creativity over sales."
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: