Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:44:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334793 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.  (Read 1179 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2014, 05:02:48 PM »

Any horror fans in the house? I have a few questions since I'm gonna try to play a bunch of Halloween-themed games this coming month:

• Is Yume Nikki more flat out scary? Or is it more creepy/weird/disturbing? I'd actually prefer the latter...
  • Anybody know of any good point 'n' click games with dark atmosphere and themes? I know of a few, like Uninvited, 7th Guest, and Alone in the Dark (the old, old one), but I don't know if they've aged well...
  • And has Master Reboot gotten any better? I remember it getting some iffy reviews...

Re: Yume Nikki, definitely the latter. Although, even then it leans more towards surreal/trippy more than anything else.
Re: Good Point 'n' Click, I'm pretty sure 7th Guest has aged horribly and Uninvited is probably okay due to Sudden Adventure Game Death Syndrome, no idea on AitD.
Re: Master Reboot? Never heard of it.

Honestly, I wouldn't have known about Master Reboot without a review from site I used to go to. Sadly, I left that site because I don't agree with any of their reviews nor their news practices, so I was hoping someone else had an opinion on it...

But thanks for the other two. Trippy actually sounds neat. I'll look a little more into alone in the dark. It's had so many versions I'm not sure where to start, but hopefully at least one of them are good...

EDIT:
Also, someone gave me more info on Book of Memories and iot doesn't sound that appealing, so I'll just take it off my list...

Aaand I looked into Alone in the Dark and even the most recent version looks and sounds like a dinosaur...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:18:03 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »

At work, we recently acquired a copy of Ninety-Nine Nights.

I remember being vaguely interested in the game way back when I was seeking out RPGs for the 360. Does anyone have any experience with it? What was it like, was it any good?
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2014, 12:58:34 AM »

At work, we recently acquired a copy of Ninety-Nine Nights.

I remember being vaguely interested in the game way back when I was seeking out RPGs for the 360. Does anyone have any experience with it? What was it like, was it any good?

No and no.

The general consensus was that it was a Dynasty Warriors clone that failed to find its own niche like Drakengard did. It doesn't help that the game was a 360 launch (or early release) title and not the killer app that Microsoft was hoping for. It has a sequel but still, just get a Dynasty Warriors or related game. I hear there's one that just came out for Wii U owners (there's a couple for the 360 as well since its a bloody Musou game and those have been showing up on every console under the sun).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2014, 02:46:25 AM »

99 Nights and its sequel are terrible. I love hack & slash but I could not play either for very long. I just remember the controls being kinda awkward and the games failing at everything that DMC, Bayonetta and even God of War did way better... I didn't play a lot of DW, so 99N reminded me more of those.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:48:56 AM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »

The first one was boring, but I kinda liked the sequel as "Dynasty Warriors with a slightly deeper combat system and more agressive enemies". That was before I played Ken's Rage, though.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
glassjawsh
insolent cur

This tomb will be your grave

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »

Just got my grubby mitts on a copy of conker: live and reloaded.  does anyone know if it's as good as bad fur day?  I was obsessed with that game in high school.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »

Okay, so I'm sure I'm going to get recommendations for a ton of old PC RPGs, but if there's any console games that actually fit this criteria I would really like to hear about it.

-I love party/character-building RPGs
-Usually this means there's a ton of classes to choose from. I prefer RPGs with more complex classes than just the simple warrior-rogue-mage thing, and hybrid/unique classes are a huge plus
-RPGs these days seem to be really settled into a 3 or 4-person party, games that make you build a party larger than this would be great
-Lots of customization would be a huge plus, so either skill trees or limiting your skill choices out of a huge pool, that sort of thing

FTR I don't need to know about Final Fantasy, Bravely Default, Dragon Quest or Etrian Odyssey. I've played and enjoyed all of those.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »

Okay, so I'm sure I'm going to get recommendations for a ton of old PC RPGs, but if there's any console games that actually fit this criteria I would really like to hear about it.

-I love party/character-building RPGs
-Usually this means there's a ton of classes to choose from. I prefer RPGs with more complex classes than just the simple warrior-rogue-mage thing, and hybrid/unique classes are a huge plus
-RPGs these days seem to be really settled into a 3 or 4-person party, games that make you build a party larger than this would be great
-Lots of customization would be a huge plus, so either skill trees or limiting your skill choices out of a huge pool, that sort of thing

FTR I don't need to know about Final Fantasy, Bravely Default, Dragon Quest or Etrian Odyssey. I've played and enjoyed all of those.
Tactics Ogre, Wild Arms XF, both psp games.

TASTY!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2014, 06:39:44 AM »

Thanks, I'll check those out. Tactics Ogre in particular I remember playing like 2 stages on the Playstation a long ass time ago, and I actually haven't played Wild Arms since the first one.

Related to my former question, I've been looking at the Wizardry series. Anybody have recommendations? Kind of a shame all the recent ones are only in Japan, they sound like games I would really enjoy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: