Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 06:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Playstation TV (formerly known as Vita TV)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Playstation TV (formerly known as Vita TV)  (Read 158 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:19:25 AM »

In one week the Playstation TV is being released in NA.

I think that overall this is a really nice piece of technology. Some people buy them for the remote play alone which I could see doing (if I had a house).
Other than that, given how sedentary the western world is as opposed to the eastern world (i.e. Japan), I can see people preferring to play games in the comfort of their home on a big TV.

RELEASE
October 14th in NA
November 14th in EU

PRICE
Standard (99$)
- System
- HDMI Cord
- Power cables

Bundle (139$)
- System
- HDMI Cord
- Power cables
- DualShock 3
- 8 Gig Memory card
- Lego Movie Game

An 8 Gig Memory card is 19.99$ so depending if you want the Lego game or if you already have controllers, the standard package may be slightly cheaper.
(Also, I'm surprised that the bundle comes with a DS3 and not a DS4; warehouse clearing?)

GAMES
List of currently compatible games:
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5376

Other than those, most PSP and PS1 games are compatible (Through PS Store)

Personally, I already have Persona 4 Golden sitting on my table and I plan on getting both Danganronpa too.
Tactics Ogre: LUCT is also something I'm eying.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:26:00 AM by Annubis » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »

Wait it doesn't support Dawn of Celceta? I thought that got a patch...

Also if I could buy stuff from the JP PSP store ie get Aquanaut's Holiday and LSD I would be more willing to jump on this.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:39:47 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »

Wait it doesn't support Dawn of Celceta? I thought that got a patch...

Also if I could buy stuff from the JP PSP store ie get Aquanaut's Holiday and LSD I would be more willing to jump on this.

Some games were patched in JP but yet to be for US.
I'm assuming most of the patches will be brought over eventually.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:57:31 PM »

Come on Annubis, I am waiting for your official report on the new gadget!!!! Particularly curious how things look graphically upscaled from Vita to the big-screen.

I was gonna grab this myself yesterday upon release but decided to put more coin on the side for the PS4 for the time being.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »

You'll have to wait then =P there's no way I could buy one on a work day since shops close before I finish work.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »

Apparently they JUST removed a bunch of games from the compatibility list.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

glassjawsh
insolent cur

This tomb will be your grave

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »

A)  I think this is a terrible sign for the viability of the vita and for sony's interest in handhelds as a whole.  They're all "well shit, no one is buying the vita, better figure out some other way to get them to buy it without actually buying it".

and 2) If someone owns a vita and a PS3 or PS4, shouldn't there already be a way to just magic the vita games onto the tv anyway? It would probably be super easy to just connect to wifi and get Zero Escape to appear up on the Big Screen (I mention Zero Escape specifically because of how terrible it plays without using the touchscreen, thus making playing it without an actual vita a bit ridiculous) I mean nintendo already did it with the GBA and the gamecube and that was like a bazillion (12) years ago.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 04:25:44 PM »

A)  I think this is a terrible sign for the viability of the vita and for sony's interest in handhelds as a whole.  They're all "well shit, no one is buying the vita, better figure out some other way to get them to buy it without actually buying it".

and 2) If someone owns a vita and a PS3 or PS4, shouldn't there already be a way to just magic the vita games onto the tv anyway? It would probably be super easy to just connect to wifi and get Zero Escape to appear up on the Big Screen (I mention Zero Escape specifically because of how terrible it plays without using the touchscreen, thus making playing it without an actual vita a bit ridiculous) I mean nintendo already did it with the GBA and the gamecube and that was like a bazillion (12) years ago.

Of course the whole thing is a gimmick to get consumers to spend more. But at least now I have the option to spend more and play the games the way I want. That aside, this TV option is actually the budget choice for me as I would never play hand-held anyhow (only on the TV) and Vita itself costs more.

However.......
Apparently they JUST removed a bunch of games from the compatibility list.

This^^^ is why I agree that a simple audio/video output function on the Vita itself would have been a better move in the first place. I would have bought a Vita full price ages ago if it had the functionality. So I totally have to agree with ya Glassjawsh, this seems like a somewhat illogical or overtly complex step technologically speaking.   

It is my hope that the little micro console does something independently cool or fancy to make the experience more suitable for play on the big screen in terms of audio/video. Then this whole new toy would begin to make a heck of a lot of sense to me.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »

I'm definitely curious about it, but... I'm probably more interested in a Vita.  I like portable systems, and one of my top reasons for buying a Vita, Ys: Memories of Celceta, isn't on the compatibility list.  If that game gets added in the next 6 months... then we can talk. 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: