Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 02:19:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331780 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Community Quiz Quiz Show!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Community Quiz Quiz Show!  (Read 29546 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »

A name as redundant as the game. - Artwork by, Dice.

Velkom, comrades!

I am pleased to announce the launch of our very own RPGfan Community Quiz (Quiz Show)! Let me drop some deets on you.

What?: This is an RPG trivia competition held by moi with our very own forum members as participants. How well do you really know your favorite RPG, can you prove it? If you can, there is a prize in it for you!

When?: June 1st 2013 at 21:00 BST. To save you the timezone & daylights savings time headache I had to go through to understand when that is, here is a handy dandy Countdown Clock! I will also be sending out reminders on the day of the quiz for those of you who show interest!

The quiz will be held bi-monthly. That's twice a month.

Where?: In an IRC Chatroom! No, wait, come back! It's easier than it looks and I'll be giving out easy to understand instructions for first time users. For most it will be a case of going to The Mibbit Website, hitting the "Sign Up Free" button, creating an account and joining the channel #RPGfanCommunityQuiz!

For more experienced IRC users who have clients: Server: irc.mibbit.net Port: 6667 Channel: #RPGfanCommunityQuiz

How?: The rules of the game are as follows:

Participation:
1.) You must have at least 30 posts on the forum. It's not a hard target to meet!
2.) You must use the same Nickname/Username you use on the forums. It's just easier on everyone if we know instantly who is who.

Game Information:
1.) Each quiz will center around one game or franchise. A single game in a franchise will be the most common, a quiz about an entire franchise will generally be reserved for simpler or episodic games.
2.) The topic of each quiz will be determined by you guys. Boast about RPGs you are confident about in this thread and if it is popular enough, that will be our subject. In the case of a split, I will decide.
3.) There will be 10 questions in total.
3a.) Questions 1-3 are Easy questions. They are worth 1 point each.
3b.) Questions 4-7 are Medium questions. They are worth 2 points max each.
3c.) Questions 8-10 will be Hard questions. They will be worth 3 points max each.
3d.) There will be ONE Picture and ONE Music round. The Picture round will involve looking at a picture and answering a question about said picture. For the Music round I will host a 30 second audio sample on a nondescript Youtube channel and ask a question relating to the music in question. These rounds yeild points equal to the level of difficulty they are in. eg. If the Picture round is "Question 4" it will be worth 2 points max.
4. The person with the most points is declared the winner! In the case of a tie, there will be a tie-breaker question. This will be first-to-answer. If no one answers within the time limit, I will ask another question. Tie-breakers begin on Hard and gradually lower to Easy.

Da Rules:
1.) All answers must be sent to me privately. If you say the answer in the main chat for everyone to see, you will get a 3 point penalty. If you repeatedly do it, I will kick you from the room. The only exception to this is a tie-breaker, where your answer must be said in the main chat.
2.)There is a 45 second time limit to all questions. This is to discourage Googling the answer. The questions themselves will be worded so that an answer isn't easily obtained by copy/paste, but you either know it or you don't. 45 seconds is still plenty of time to have a think and then type an answer.
3.) I am not going to be harsh on spelling/grammar. If you spell it wrongly but it is easy to see what you were trying to say, I will give you full points. The exceptions to this is if you type another POSSIBLE answer. For example if the question is "Who is the pilot of The Invincible before Kuja and the heroes acquire it in Final Fantasy 9?" and you answer Garnet, but meant Garland, I can't give you points because Garnet is the name of a character within the Final Fantasy 9 universe.

Here is the information for the next quiz:

Next Quiz:
Date: 3rd October 2014
Time: 21:00 BST (Countdown Clock Here!)
Subject: Persona 3: FES (Playstation 2)

Prize: Steam game worth up to $20
or
$20 Nintendo eShop card
or
$20 PSN card.

(Some prizes may be restricted due to where you live).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 04:05:46 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:01:06 PM »

I'll be happy to participate. Is there an official RSVP thing, or is it just whoever bothers to show up?

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »

Your comment here is your RSVP. :)

I'll send everyone who comments here saying that they will be attending a private message the day of the quiz just with general reminders and tips.

Also, thanks for the support. It's scary putting yourself out there like this, and I've never had much of a constitution for public failure.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:16:18 PM »

I like this idea.  But I'm a bit too rusty on that game to actually feel like I could participate. This time.  :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:26:43 PM »

That is fair enough. :)

It won't be University Challenge so people don't need to worry too much. I'm fully aware some people might not have played the game in quite a few years and besides the hard questions, you could probably recall them from distant memory.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:31:23 PM »

If I recall about it, I'll probably join in.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:33:10 PM »

Sure, I'll do this.  I've won a few game trivia contests in my day.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »

You're all making a certain Scotsman very happy!

Sure, I'll do this.  I've won a few game trivia contests in my day.

Fighting talk. Love it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 11:06:46 PM »

Unless I get arrested, I'll be there.

TASTY!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 11:09:29 PM »

Unless I get arrested, I'll be there.

Be a good boy. And don't hurt yourself at the gym.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 11:23:15 PM »

I assume the server is mibbit's server and not lunarnet.org? (Unless you guys moved from Lunarnet and I just didn't realize it).

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 11:25:08 PM »

I assume the server is mibbit's server and not lunarnet.org? (Unless you guys moved from Lunarnet and I just didn't realize it).

The Community Quiz is on the mibbit server (irc.mibbit.net), the Unofficial RPGfan Chatroom is still on lunarnet.org however!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 11:26:28 PM »

Just logged into it and set up an autojoin prompt for it. Works, someone should hop in and say herro.

TASTY!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 01:27:29 AM »

If you have a IRC client installed, the link I put on this page should bring you right there: http://jsbin.com/epiviv/1
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:51:24 AM by Annubis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 04:45:33 AM »

The Community Quiz is on the mibbit server (irc.mibbit.net), the Unofficial RPGfan Chatroom is still on lunarnet.org however!

So why aren't we just doing this on lunarnet?  It seems strange to move to a different server when RPGFan already has a presence there

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: