Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:54:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319740 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Community Quiz Quiz Show!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Community Quiz Quiz Show!  (Read 18266 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: January 12, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »

Well, I'm replaying FF8 right now, actually.

Since you're playing it and I can't remember it, can you tell me if they ever justify what happens to Squall at the end of Disc 1?  I feel like it wasn't adequately explained.....and disc 3.  All of it.

But most importantly, Galbadia Garden has an ice rink and the best enemies ever in that ice rink.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: January 12, 2014, 05:23:57 PM »

I'm halfway through disc two.

I always just assumed they used magic to heal him, no? Edea's limit break doesn't look any more destructive that fire-breathing dragons. :P

And no one can explain disc 3.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: January 12, 2014, 05:55:37 PM »

I always just assumed they used magic to heal him, no? Edea's limit break doesn't look any more destructive that fire-breathing dragons. :P

Healing....That's such a cop-put for a pretty rad FMV.

I'll tell you this much, I think less of Doctors in the FF8 universe if it's as easy as pulling white magic out of their butts to save the world!

(also, Mongoosey, did you watch 3rd ep of Sherlock?)

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: January 12, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »

Healing....That's such a cop-put for a pretty rad FMV.

I'll tell you this much, I think less of Doctors in the FF8 universe if it's as easy as pulling white magic out of their butts to save the world!

(also, Mongoosey, did you watch 3rd ep of Sherlock?)

Perhaps Edea herself healed him, I imagine her magic is stronger than that of any doctor (lower-case d, you've been watching too much Doctor Who :P).

And yes, I did! Just finished!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: January 12, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »

I like this theory. It is actually a good read despite the name of it. It may be conspiracy like but at least it means
Code:
Rinoacia never really happened

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: January 12, 2014, 06:18:34 PM »

Guys it's a stable time loop, it's not that hard to figure out.  The game sometimes doesnt tell you outright certain aspects of the storyline. Like for example the fact that
Code:
Squall is Laguna's son
, it's all there even if not stated outright and the story makes perfect sense except for that one plot twist
Code:
The orphanage plot twist, that was terrible
Ultimecia is a pretty damn interesting villain aswell when you think about it. The game doesnt directly speak about her motivations but you can kinda piece it together with the history of the world they present to you.. It's very subtle, just think about the circumstances of her existence. I strongly suggest if you guys have the time to watch this hour and a half analsys of the game. You can skip the first half if you are not interested in the discussion of the gameplay elements(which I actually dont agree very much with the author of the review, his interpretation of the story and the various characters is spot on though).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psac8twrnzU
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:25:49 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: January 12, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »

I like this theory. It is actually a good read despite the name of it. It may be conspiracy like but at least it means
Code:
Rinoacia never really happened

I think we talked about that theory in depth in a thread a year or two ago. I can't remember. I like it, but at the same time I really doubt its validity. It tries to paint plot holes like NORGs complete irrelevance to the plot other than to announce Edea and Cid being married as part of a fever dream. When really, it just seemed like poor storytelling.

EDIT: I actually thought of this a couple minutes ago. How did Cid not know that the Garden could fly? He said so himself that he BUILT Garden, through the funding of NORG. How do you forget that? GF's again a suppose, our favourite plot excuse! GF made me forget!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:48:08 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: January 12, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »

eugh... I hate the GF stuff.  Not because "amnesia" is an overdone plot point and ... but because you never really interact with any of the GF's; literally it is turning a battle component into a plot device (I don't think they actually give any indication of in-plot moments where they can't remember shit either with their recent use of GFs, nor is their memory only "foggy" than completely forgotten upon meeting each other*).  If FF9 pulled it off, I'd believe it better because a Summon is in about half of the FMVs.

And I like the theory about Squall is dead (or the similar one spelled out for Zelda: Majora's Mask) -- but I can't imagine it being what the creator or writers had in mind beyond awesome coincidences.  And like Mongoose says, it's a good coverup for otherwise bad storytelling. I dare a plot to pull that off though.

Movie spoilers:
Code:
The Descent pulled this off.  It wasn't a "she was dead" the whole time thing but a twist in that she "thought she was saved"..only to cut to her imminent death.

* If I'm wrong I"m sorry, it's been a while.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: January 12, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »

I think we talked about that theory in depth in a thread a year or two ago. I can't remember.

I went searching for that thread and instead found this

http://www.rpgfan.com/fanfics.html

When the heck did RPGFan have fanfics?

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: January 12, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »

2005 apparently. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: January 12, 2014, 07:33:26 PM »

EDIT: I actually thought of this a couple minutes ago. How did Cid not know that the Garden could fly? He said so himself that he BUILT Garden, through the funding of NORG. How do you forget that? GF's again a suppose, our favourite plot excuse! GF made me forget!

There are quite a few explanations that could  work, but the two I find most likely are:

1. Clearly, Cid didn't build Garden with his own two hands. He probably had plenty of people working on the designs, and I'm sure NORG himself had the ability to put in his own ideas without necessarily verifying them with Cid.

2. This is Final Fantasy. Garden's design is probably based on advanced technology from an ancient culture that nobody really understands.

But really, FF8's plot is a choppy mess that feels like five plots ground together into a single plot sausage.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: January 12, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »

I love point 2 and it's probably right.

People say the romance was actually well done -- but I can't recall.  Any thoughts on that Mongoosey? 

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: January 12, 2014, 08:03:56 PM »

I never understood why people say the romance of FF8 is good.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: January 12, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »

I never understood why people say the romance of FF8 is good.

Peeps like a tale about the "defrosting ice king" with sweeter-than-sugar (yet vegetative 50% of the time) Rinoa?

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: January 12, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »

You mean the romance between Zell and Irvine? The one that's in my head?

It's lovely

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: