Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 08:46:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318980 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What do you do after beating a fantastic game?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: What do you do after beating a fantastic game?  (Read 1078 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 02:10:18 AM »

How the hell is anyone answering with a response beyond "play another game"? I'm a gamer, when I beat a game, hate or love, I play something else when I finish it. There's no worship period for absorbing the awesomness of it, there is only the next game. The longest pause after a game for me is generally real life activities, but that impacts overall gaming time, not just from beating a game.

If you just beat a good game, go get a new game and start enjoying it.

TASTY!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 02:13:41 AM »

Maybe because everyone processes their experiences differently :)?

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 02:33:25 AM »

How the hell is anyone answering with a response beyond "play another game"? I'm a gamer, when I beat a game, hate or love, I play something else when I finish it.

Maybe you plowed through it and just want a break from games? That happens with me, I'll rip through something, then just not play anything else for a little while.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 02:40:23 AM »

Lemme rephrase my statement a bit. I call bullshit on anyone that says they actually savor the game after it's completed. You all know damn well you start another game, hell most of us (looking over at Klyde in particular) are actively playing 2-4 games at any given time. I understand the idea of being oversaturated and needing to take a break after extreme bouts of gaming, but this idea of finishing a game and literally taking time to absorb it afterwards....what the hell were you doing during the game?

Perhaps it's due to a biased nature of always being in a rush to finish games. I don't often leave a game unfinished for more than a few days as it will generally end up remaining unfinished or worse...sold due to lack of desire to complete it (radiata stories...last stretch of the game and I just stopped playing.). I also a somewhat tiny obsession with beating games in very few sittings...like every metal gear game for example. Biased nature....blahblahblab.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 02:51:35 AM »

I don't play more than one game at a time.

I like to enjoy my games for weeks or months if I feel like it.

I like to appreciate the games I play.

I don't even buy enough games or get interested in many to get all stupid to move to the next thing quickly.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:28:49 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 03:11:14 AM »

I never finish games :(

Ditto. Well, not totally true, but it's become pretty rare now for me, so when I do finish one, I fucking rejoice.

Also, it's completely plausible that someone wants to bask in the experience of finishing something. This isn't just video games; I'm sure most people here have read a book or watched a movie and was emotionally invested enough in the experience that they took time after it was over to process it all. I mean, look at fan fiction and fan art; a lot of the time the people who create these works are inspired from the experience and use writing or drawing as a way to process the experience. I know I've seen several fan artists who posted a work derived from a video game/book/movie and they accompanied the post with a statement that basically says, "I just finished [Insert Whatever] and I just had to draw [Insert favorite character/romantic couple/scene]." I remember when I finished Evangelion for the first time I was so blown away by the experience and thought it was so fucking deep (in my defense I was an impressionable teenager so I bought into all the pseudo-philosophical nonsense) that it was all I could think about for days.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 03:12:59 AM »

Well Agent D., my habits are nothing like yours.  I usually focus on just one game at a time (though sometimes I put a game aside and go back to it later), and I really do like spending some time to reflect on a game after I've finished it.  How long varies tremendously, but I've gone months without gaming before.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 03:31:52 AM »

Lemme rephrase my statement a bit. I call bullshit on anyone that says they actually savor the game after it's completed. You all know damn well you start another game, hell most of us (looking over at Klyde in particular) are actively playing 2-4 games at any given time. I understand the idea of being oversaturated and needing to take a break after extreme bouts of gaming, but this idea of finishing a game and literally taking time to absorb it afterwards....what the hell were you doing during the game?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they're two views of the same basic reason, you need a breather, maybe you feel you're savoring the game, or maybe you feel you should just do something else with your free time, though I don't doubt both happen to some extent. I certainly don't deliberately hold off on a game because I'm consciously trying to savor it, it'd be more likely that I'm letting it settle and not quite in the mood for something else until then.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 03:42:46 AM »

I could see someone doing that with some games, especially anything uber difficult like Dark Souls because it feels like a monumental achievement.
And then some games are too depressing (in a fantastic way?) for some people to do anything but drink it away after finishing.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »

When Im really surprised by a game. I will usually spend 1 or 2 days listening to the music of that game and thinking about the experience. Once that cycle ends I will start another game.
I usually dont play more than 1 game at a time either. Especially when story driven rpg's are involved. At the most I have a platformer or a mindless action game to accompany the rpg.

I dont think it's bullshit that you savor a game after you beat it(when I beat PW:AA:Trials and tribulations for instance, I spent like 3 days listening to dark fragrance of coffee orchestra version, drinking coffee and thinking about life(obviously outside of the regular everyday stuff like going to school and doing your homework bla bla) ).. Just because you dont do it yourself, it doesnt mean that other people dont.

When I beat 999, I had a very rough week because I didnt want that game to end and I was completely mesmerized by the experience. Ys Seven snapped me out of it a few days later though.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 04:50:36 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

http://backloggery.com/holykael1 - For all my playing shenanigans
"It takes nothing but a single pint of milk to ruin the pure, black magic of the coffee."
"Darker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself...that is coffee."
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »

Play it again! :D
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 02:27:53 AM »

Perhaps it's due to a biased nature of always being in a rush to finish games. I don't often leave a game unfinished for more than a few days as it will generally end up remaining unfinished or worse...sold due to lack of desire to complete it (radiata stories...last stretch of the game and I just stopped playing.). I also a somewhat tiny obsession with beating games in very few sittings...like every metal gear game for example. Biased nature....blahblahblab.

smells like roid rage.

not everyone plays game after game like it's some marching order from above. when you finish a good book you pause to reflect and consider the experience as a whole. after you have a satisfying meal you don't immediately start cooking the next.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 03:13:41 AM »

I remember when I finished Evangelion for the first time I was so blown away by the experience and thought it was so fucking deep (in my defense I was an impressionable teenager so I bought into all the pseudo-philosophical nonsense) that it was all I could think about for days.

Man wasn't NGE actually parodying that, and the real theme was that Shinji should stop being such a dork?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »

When I beat a fantastic game, I go the gym, bench over 300 pounds, and come back to RPGFan and brag about how much I bench every other day.

No, Agent D, we're not all like you. Gaming is one of my favorite hobbies, but I don't play nearly as many games as the average poster on here does. If I beat an awesome game, it'll probably be a couple months before I pick up another game or resume another game I had been playing the year before. I generally do a different hobby after beating a fantastic game because I know I'll end up getting pissed while playing the next game because it differs from the awesome game I just beat.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:13:33 AM by dalucifer0 » Logged
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »

I might feel  a bit of sadness that the great game is over, but I never block starting a new game, solely to reflect on the experience. I may play another game right afterwords, but then again I have gone stretches where I haven't played a non MMO in months.What I do after I beat a game is completely random which is why I will never catch up with my backlog.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: