Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 08:51:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329226 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  DIVEKICK
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: DIVEKICK  (Read 6141 times)
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 03:58:04 PM »

I still think this game is a joke. Well, it did start off as a joke, but then they turned it into this. Sure, it's the fundamentals of a fighting game, but it takes the rest of the fun out. I'd rather enjoy a fighting game with the fundamentals, but also with the complexities that come with them.
What I like about it is there are so many games out there that have fundamentals but get bogged down in everything else like option selects, frame-traps, vortexes, supers, infinites, comeback mechanics and heck even flashy combos. Here comes Divekick and like Anubis said "it's about baiting and taking chances" and it has tons of depth along with it. You can dislike it all you want and that's fine, obviously it isn't for everybody. Heck with all the fighting game community injokes I argue it is too exclusive (even if I find those jokes funny). I can't agree however with the idea that it takes the rest of the fun out. It has all the things that are good about fighting games except combos. It has awesome characters, mechanically interesting abilities that change the flow of a matchup, it has tense comebacks, it has reading your enemy, it rewards reaction and game knowledge.

Another thing I really like is that it takes knowledge from all the recent fighting games and incorporates it into the character design with things like the dive arcs and supers. I bring this up because it makes it a fundamental focused game, but it brings something new to the table. Otherwise, if I wanted a game about zoning I could play Super Turbo or Samurai Showdown 2.

So there now I've written way more about Divekick then I've ever meant to. And if you don't want to play it I'm down to fight you in Street Fighter 4 or Persona 4 Arena sometime.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »

Mmm... P4A...

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »

The game definitely caters to the casuals a bit as you don't need to know combos or anything, just pick up and it's very intuitive. I also like that it's not execution heavy as I'm personally pretty terrible  at execution (it's the reason I play T.Hawk in SF4). A lot of games become very iinaccessible due to their complex nature, an example would be kof 13, you are at a huge disadvantage in that game if you can't perform the hd touch of death combos that every character in that game has. This game could open up games to a wider audience as people won't be deterred by a large amount of mechanics.

The lack of being able to move left and right I think makes the game more interesting, your movement options are limited and you now have to calculate your divekicks in order to position yourself well rather than just being able to walk freely. Probably a bad example of something similar would be resident evil 1 or 2, your lack of options made your use of existing options and resources more important, and the game more interesting. If you could move faster/freely/without tank controls or did more damage/had more bulllets that game probably would not have been as interesting or had that feeling of every decision mattering. RE5 definitely lacked that as you had so many and such powerful weapons you could just blast your way through everything even on the first playthrough, which guns you used and how many bullets you used on enemies just didn't matter as much since there were so much more of each.

Once again, this games not for everyone, there are a lot of FGC in-jokes and the recent new characters have added some gimmicks and more complexity to the game. Oh and for the execution monsters there is a just-frame attack in the game. If you didn't figure it out by now, I love commas and run-on sentences.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:21:57 AM by kofvscapcom » Logged

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 01:01:57 AM »

I've got to agree on the execution front, I play Blanka in SF4 because his longest combo is 5 buttons. There are other reasons, like good defensive options and being a green electric monster, but he rewards good reads and match-up knowledge. And he frustrates grapplers (T. Hawk ha!) and newbies as they try to get close.
Anyway, this is a site about RPGs I should probably talk about some of those.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »

I don't misunderstand the idea of the game. It's basically what happens when you reach the highest level in a fighting game and all that's left is mind games. Having only the tension and mind games of outsmarting your opponent is a neat idea, but I feel the novelty of the game will run thin very quickly. I personally don't think the characters are interesting and the art is rather bland. I mean, it's cool for Iron Galaxy. I hope it does well for them. I mostly support Iron Galaxy because of 3rd Strike Online, though.

The two fighting games that I enjoy the most are Guilty Gear and 3rd Strike. Both require execution, but I think it's very lenient and the combos aren't super long and you can get by with very basic ones. P4A is a fun game too, but the online community on PSN is sort of dead now.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »

I don't misunderstand the idea of the game. It's basically what happens when you reach the highest level in a fighting game and all that's left is mind games. Having only the tension and mind games of outsmarting your opponent is a neat idea, but I feel the novelty of the game will run thin very quickly. I personally don't think the characters are interesting and the art is rather bland. I mean, it's cool for Iron Galaxy. I hope it does well for them. I mostly support Iron Galaxy because of 3rd Strike Online, though.

The two fighting games that I enjoy the most are Guilty Gear and 3rd Strike. Both require execution, but I think it's very lenient and the combos aren't super long and you can get by with very basic ones.

3rd Strike I would call fairly lenient, but I don't think I would call Guilty Gear lenient.  I guess it depends on what you are comparing to since if you compare it to SF4, Guilty Gear is lenient compared to SF4's 1 frame links.  Compare it to Blazblue or P4Arena and it is pretty strict. Also what character do you play in GG?  Some don't have long combos, but many characters do.

Also you need to drop 3S Online and get on GGPO.  Way better people on GGPO than PS3/Xbox live and generally much nicer too.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 04:16:09 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »

This games looks terrible. That's all I got.

TASTY!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 04:56:50 PM »

The two fighting games that I enjoy the most are Guilty Gear and 3rd Strike. Both require execution, but I think it's very lenient and the combos aren't super long and you can get by with very basic ones.

3rd Strike I would call fairly lenient, but I don't think I would call Guilty Gear lenient.  I guess it depends on what you are comparing to since if you compare it to SF4, Guilty Gear is lenient compared to SF4's 1 frame links.  Compare it to Blazblue or P4Arena and it is pretty strict. Also what character do you play in GG?  Some don't have long combos, but many characters do.

Also you need to drop 3S Online and get on GGPO.  Way better people on GGPO than PS3/Xbox live and generally much nicer too.

I thought 3S on GGPO was done? Did they bring it back? I play with a fair amount of friends that are adept at the game, so it's not a huge deal for me to switch how I play online. That, and I use a mac and have no idea how to install GGPO on one.

I use Baiken in Guilty Gear, which may explain why I feel the execution barrier isn't too high. Her combos generally aren't very difficult either, but I do realize that lots of characters have more difficult barriers to overcome, such as I-No.

"Oh, a hunter..."
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 07:15:11 PM »

speaking of Guilty Gear, has everyone seen the trailer for GG Xrd?

oh and they show the final boss for divekick http://www.twitch.tv/irongalaxy/b/412336289 it's like 20 minutes in, he has a parry(WHAT AN ANSWER) and an invisible and invincible double jump
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:45:56 PM by kofvscapcom » Logged

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 07:35:13 PM »

SUPER ULTRA MEGA HYPPPPPPED!

"Oh, a hunter..."
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »

SUPER ULTRA MEGA HYPPPPPPED!
Perfect set of words for the Divekick topic.

TASTY!
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 12:19:17 AM »

So this is the all-purpose fighting game thread huh? After Fadedsun's comment I was totally going to make the same comment about Guilty Gear's combos as Akanbe-. My thing is that the combo strings can be pretty long even if the window is relatively large. And when you drop the combo you get punished for big damage. Not that there isn't some tight execution requirements, some FRCs are 1 frame and I don't know what the window for teching throws is but it seems really small. Mind you I've only really picked up Guilty Gear again since the trailer for GG Xrd blew my mind. I can't find anyone I really gel with, but playing Venom and Bridget is fun.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »

I thought 3S on GGPO was done? Did they bring it back? I play with a fair amount of friends that are adept at the game, so it's not a huge deal for me to switch how I play online. That, and I use a mac and have no idea how to install GGPO on one.

I use Baiken in Guilty Gear, which may explain why I feel the execution barrier isn't too high. Her combos generally aren't very difficult either, but I do realize that lots of characters have more difficult barriers to overcome, such as I-No.

Yeah they put it back up awhile ago.  I don't play Baiken, but she has some sick combos. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »

Yes, Divekick is a joke.  I think it's a pretty funny joke.  Some people think it isn't a funny joke, and some of those people are very adamant about the fact that they don't find it to be a funny joke.  Whatever.  I don't think I want to buy it, but one of my friends decides to I will happily play it with him or her. 

Also: we need a P4A2. Too much of a cliffhanger at the end, with a likely appearance from N_____ and an unknown human accomplice.  My guess is that we get P5 in 2014, and then a year later we get a P4A sequel with at least one or two P5 characters included.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »

A friend bought me P4A for my birthday, I 100%ed the storyline and haven't really touched it since except when friends want to play it. It definitely does develop the storyline a little and I'm curious if they do decide to put the cast of 3 and 4 in 5, will they do a recap of the events of Arena? Also, Adachi for P4A2 pl0x, or put the dog in the game.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: