Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 09:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319070 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  DIVEKICK
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: DIVEKICK  (Read 4204 times)
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 08:41:12 AM »

ok evo starts today and here's the stream schedule
http://shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/evo-stream-schedule.png

it seems persona 4 and tekken tag will be finished in their entirety today, and that schedule is in pacific time. Divekick side tourney very late night tommorow.
too lazy to make an irc channel so I guess I'll be sitting in the community quiz irc if people want to watch and comment.
also, watched maximillians vids on youtube about his impressions about killer instinct and I'll probably give it a chance now if I know anyone who will get an Xbox One, the art style and tech does seem pretty interesting, especially the lighting effects.

finally, we have release date
http://gematsu.com/2013/07/divekick-release-date-set
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:09:42 AM by kofvscapcom » Logged

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »

EVO 2013 announced an update for SSF4, which amazes me. I'd thought they were finished, but I guess not.

More exciting is that the next five characters will in no way be a rehash of any existing characters. No evil version characters! Hooray!

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2013, 12:51:25 AM »

Watching the Skull Girls tournament makes it clear to me what I don't like about the game.  In high-level play there's so much emphasis on this ridiculously long unblockable combos.  I see players take other players from full health to death in a single combo.  And it's not like the recipient is necessarily doing anything wrong, it's just that there's nothing he can do except hope that his opponent screws something up.

I remember checking out Skull Girls at PAX a couple years ago and the devs were there talking about how accessible and easy to pick up the game is.  But this is the complete opposite of accessible.  To be any good at the game, you have to learn all these different super-long combos and practice executing them.  Sure that's true in all fighting games to an extent, but not to nearly this degree.  I don't know, maybe some people like that sort of thing but it just looks broken to me.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2013, 04:07:06 AM »

^You're just not the audience for Skullgirls, no biggie.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2013, 06:11:39 AM »

MikeZ the creator of Skullgirls is a big fan of Marvel vs Capcom 2 and it definitely shows in Skullgirls. Both games put a huge focus on just extremely long combos with multiple resets in the middle. I enjoy the character designs and their unique mechanics but I personally don't enjoy playing that game very much, it's fun enough to watch though. The Divekick tournament was hype, especially the S-Kill player (fun fact, her real name is actually Adelheid and she's really good at Marvel) and it can be seen at http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2/b/429925318 (skip to 13:47:00). Finals day incoming along with official Street Fighter new update trailer and Killer Instinct stuff.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »

MikeZ the creator of Skullgirls is a big fan of Marvel vs Capcom 2 and it definitely shows in Skullgirls. Both games put a huge focus on just extremely long combos with multiple resets in the middle. I enjoy the character designs and their unique mechanics but I personally don't enjoy playing that game very much, it's fun enough to watch though. The Divekick tournament was hype, especially the S-Kill player (fun fact, her real name is actually Adelheid and she's really good at Marvel) and it can be seen at http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2/b/429925318 (skip to 13:47:00). Finals day incoming along with official Street Fighter new update trailer and Killer Instinct stuff.

I feel the exact same way about Skull Girls. The combos are too damn long. Games like Guilty Gear have some long combos too, but not super long. Most combos will end around 10-15 hits. KoFXIII has some long combos as well, but only when you're using HD combos and that's just repeating a couple normals and a special move 4 or 5 times then ending it with a super. Nothing too difficult. I tried to like Skull Girls, but in the end it wasn't for me.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »

Divekick tournament

Remember when I said I wanted to see a pro level zone control match of Divekick?
Yeah... that Kerahime match.... deeeeeeeeeyam
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »

To be fair, most of the long combos in MvC2 are infinites which are very execution heavy ^_^. The skill cap/ceiling is crazy high in MvC2 which is funny considering MvC3 has probably one of the lowest ever.

I remember checking out Skull Girls at PAX a couple years ago and the devs were there talking about how accessible and easy to pick up the game is.  But this is the complete opposite of accessible.  To be any good at the game, you have to learn all these different super-long combos and practice executing them.  Sure that's true in all fighting games to an extent, but not to nearly this degree.  I don't know, maybe some people like that sort of thing but it just looks broken to me.

I don't play Skullgirls nor do I watch it, but does having long combos at high level play really take away from a game's accessibility?  There's always going to be advanced stuff that experts will figure out and dig into in any game (especially true for fighting games) that not every player will be able to accomplish.  If there's nothing advanced to dig into, games seem to die out pretty fast.

I never minded the long combos/infinites in MvC2 because the game was so fast paced that it was pretty exciting.

EVO 2013 announced an update for SSF4, which amazes me. I'd thought they were finished, but I guess not.

More exciting is that the next five characters will in no way be a rehash of any existing characters. No evil version characters! Hooray!

I'm glad they decided to add characters as that does help breathe extra life into the game above and beyond what a balance patch would do.  SFxTekken's popularity, even after the patch fixing issues, seems to be waning pretty fast.  Unless something drastic happens, I doubt it'll even be an official EVO game next year so something has to keep things interesting.  I haven't read into it, but maybe this Capcom Cup thing that is happening will help keep it going.

I feel the exact same way about Skull Girls. The combos are too damn long. Games like Guilty Gear have some long combos too, but not super long. Most combos will end around 10-15 hits.

That's because Guilty Gear combos are sexy as fuck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15JXoubGGWk    
Dayum.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:52:17 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »

finals day begins, kof first, I can't believe Tokido made it to top 8 in this game as I had believed he wasn't very good at it. Well, it seems he's been training since last year. Feel kinda cheated that all the new characters for SF4 are from SFXT. Also, hidden 5th character revealed! http://i.imgur.com/kFtRPus.jpg

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »

KoF finals were so HYPE! OMG, those finals were so good. I can't believe Reynald came back from that to reset the bracket against Woo. He pulled a MadKoF this year. I felt for Woo when he lost. He looked HURT. I wanted to give him a hug.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2013, 11:21:40 PM »

I felt for Woo when he lost. He looked HURT. I wanted to give him a hug.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your wongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2013, 11:47:15 PM »

Double overhead to close out the match. The wongers have been raised, and brought down over the heads of my enemies.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2013, 01:04:05 AM »

I...I don't get it @_@

"Oh, a hunter..."
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2013, 02:19:20 AM »

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your Roggers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

This was way better than EVO2012. Every game was so hype!

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »

I...I don't get it @_@

I don't get it either, but I've seen people do it a lot on league of legends streams.  No clue where it came from.

Re: EVO 2013

-Agreed, KoF was great again this year.

-I don't play Smash but it was interesting to watch.

-Injustice turned out alright.

-I was pretty disinterested in Marvel until Justin Wong made that awesome comeback through losers bracket.  His win against Chris G was pretty awesome because I don't think most saw it happening and a lot of people hate Chris G's playstyle.  After his victory:

In the end, I don't know what he was going for in that very last game when he did the L-Typhoon during his attempt of Storm's TAC infinite as that move has a large amount of startup and I highly highly doubt it would combo in that situation.  If he had just knocked Zero to the ground and used Elemental Rage, the game may have turned out differently.  You could tell he was devastated.

-Street Fighter turned out pretty good.  Haitani and Sako were both beastly and played well.  Infiltration's Hakan was awesome to see and you could tell PR Balrog was somewhat unfamiliar with the match-up.  I didn't want Infiltration to repeat so I was glad that Tokido knocked him out.  Xian has been tearing it up lately so it's not surprising he won.  He's put in a lot of work and it shows.

finals day begins, kof first, I can't believe Tokido made it to top 8 in this game as I had believed he wasn't very good at it. Well, it seems he's been training since last year. Feel kinda cheated that all the new characters for SF4 are from SFXT. Also, hidden 5th character revealed! http://i.imgur.com/kFtRPus.jpg

Tokido is godlike, that's for sure.  Yeah, I somewhat feel the same way.  I thought, in general, the SFxT stages sucked hairy ass.  Some are alright but it's a shame those are the ones they are bringing in.  Most likely because the art and everything is already done and porting them (as well as the characters) would probably be much much easier.  I'm somewhat meh about the characters but I'll wait and reserve judgment until we actually see them in the game.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: